Lifestyle & retirement

I am right at the far end where it meets the Manchester Ship Canal. With the Chemical works on one side and no man’s land on the other, that is not open to the public the only way here is to swim, so good luck and be quick as we are setting off in about 1/2 an hour.
I'll wait till tomorrow when hopefully you'll be back towards Northwich

I'm only 30 and it knackers me out every time! Managed to relocate from row DD to row X for next season thankfully.
I’d go lower but sat with a great bunch at the moment, I know in a few years I’ll work my way down for the sake of £80 and the views great a no brainier.

My advice is retire early. Put even more in your pot and aim for 62 or 63. (I did that).
You simply don't know how long you're here for ! Don't plan on working into your 70's (unless your job is very enjoyable).
I've found that i don't spend as much as I thought I would even though I've done about 30 cruises and a few other types of holidays in hotels.
I'm also told (by people in their 80s) that as you get into your 80's you spend a lot less money as you don't want to be doing shit all the time.

Throw the towel in early and enjoy the money you have worked for. I know of quite a few old friends who didn't make 70.
Yep.
I'm 46.
Mortgage is paid in 3 years.
I will then hammer as much into my pension as I can possibly afford.
1000 a month ish maybe a bit more.
The sooner I retire the better

I'm 62 and the mrs is 58. 20 yrs ago had 6 properties in M/cr so we sold the lot and bought 2 farms in Spain which we renovated and rented out to holiday makers. Got bored and mums health wasn't good so returned to UK, to Wales near mum. Set up a business and caned it for 3 - 4 years, we now work 2 days a week in the winter and 4 days in the summer, basically part time hours for an average full time wage each. Got some savings and investments,a smallish pension by todays standard, a stack of premium bonds and a rental property in Pembroke with a smallish mortgage, might cash in some PBs and pay the mortgage off the way things are....so I should retire right....no, I have the boredham threshold of a 3 year old so I doubt if I could retire fully. As someone once said to me, you can either wear out or rust out, I'll probably wear out first. I do a bit of sea fishing, just started course fishing again, mess about with old engines, walk the dogs, go for a drive and waste what's left on Bluemoon.

What is a good pension pot to retire at 60?
Suppose it depends on each persons situation, im hoping to be around the £350k mark, that said i have paid over 15 grand into my pension in the last 2 years and its worth less now than it was then.

I would add that that is my pot, my wife has a DB pension that would bring in about £8k.

Retired at the start of lockdown at 56, SWMBO had retired from the NHS some 5-6 years earlier

The hardest part of being retired I'd say is the changing of the mindset.. You can't go mad clearly but even now three years down the line I still look for ways to increase the pot we have and retirement is supposed to be a chance to do the things you want to do. It's still alien to think that we can spend some of the money we stashed away but it doesn't come naturally...

Always seems to be these threads popping up about how much money one needs in retirement.

What about the level of health you take into retirement? Can anyone share their experiences about getting old physically and how to prepare for it? Anything you wish you’d done differently?

I read something recently that really stuck with me. It said that if you want to be a fit and healthy 75yo you need to be exceptionally fit in your 40s. It hit home and I’ve taken steps to improve physically

Yep.
I'm 46.
Mortgage is paid in 3 years.
I will then hammer as much into my pension as I can possibly afford.
1000 a month ish maybe a bit more.
The sooner I retire the better
For me this is the key move, the minute we paid off the mortgage the extra money went straight in to the pension. Rather than getting used to having extra income it is important to make it work for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.