Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he's old. Yes the wages would be astronomical. Yes he may start to decline very soon. Yes he might mean less minutes for Mahrez, Bernardo or even Agüero. These are all valid points.

But lads. It's Leo fucking Messi.

That's all the justification we need.

However, if you start to add a £100m transfer fee to £300m wages (approx) then you have to wonder if that's the best use of resources.

What you have to remember is that there are different resources available depending on different players. As has been mentioned a number of times, Messi is a marketing phenomenon and will open up additional sponsorship income that wouldn't otherwise be there. Hence, it isn't a case that we could spend £400m on other players fees and wages because, if it were other players, we wouldn't have the £400m in the first place.

This would be a one-off deal for a one-off player. The tricky bit is ensuring that the rest of the team understand and buy into that point of view.

2 comments:

1) Moan about the deal in principle

Hitherto I didn't see the sense in buying Messi because of his age but the free transfer makes it possible, and I have not thought about the effect on New York City etc. However, if you start to add a £100m transfer fee to £300m wages (approx) then you have to wonder if that's the best use of resources.

The Mancini and Guardiola sides were built by very heavy but very sensible investment in the best young players in their position e.g. David Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Sterling. The strategy has worked. I would prefer City to go back to those early day of the transfer window when we sort out the star young players and bought them. e.g. the central defender I'd buy this Summer would be Koulibaly. And then I'd target a left back, and someone like Kante for defensive midfield. Buying players who are 33 and going downwards doesn't seem sensible to me. That's a massive departure to what we have done.

2) Likelihood of a deal

Will it happen? I don't think City will risk forcing a free transfer but Barcelona FC have opened up a war with Messi FC and they need to move on so I think they will want a resolution. I think they will be ready to sell for c.£100m. City might try and force it down but then you have the risk of other clubs coming in so I see a negotiations and a relatively small fee smoothing his exit.

1. Agree - I guess its a one off and for the last 5 or 6 years we have been working under FFP and squad list restraints. Covid will see off FFP, the rules dont work for the reality of most clubs finances and we have for the first time some headroom with squad lists restraint. We will be up against it but we have the space.

2. Messi has chosen to go to war with the Board - i can't see him playing there again. This will drag out and get messy. We should just let it play out. Barca board are in a weak position a deal will be done i'm sure and maybe a lot less than people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.