Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you have to remember is that there are different resources available depending on different players. As has been mentioned a number of times, Messi is a marketing phenomenon and will open up additional sponsorship income that wouldn't otherwise be there. Hence, it isn't a case that we could spend £400m on other players fees and wages because, if it were other players, we wouldn't have the £400m in the first place.

This would be a one-off deal for a one-off player. The tricky bit is ensuring that the rest of the team understand and buy into that point of view.
But City's revenue's went through the roof by building a title winning side. That's where the money is. The first priority is the football team, and everything else follows. I think it's better to find an Alphonso Davies and to lay in wait for the next Haaland or Lewandowski i.e. go back to the early days of City in the takeover and use the transfer arsenal we have to better effect. I am aware that Messi offers spin-offs that no other current player does that off-set costs but I am not sure that those things are that secure long term.

JFE all over again

HFW?
If he does sign for City I can't wait for the media reaction. I reckon it'll be on the lines of;

Obscene wages as to secure mercenary signing.
Why CR7 is better than Messi.
United refused to budge on Messi wage demands ( they didn't want him anyway )
If pep doesn't win the Champions League this season, his whole career is tarnished.
How does the Messi signing affect City and FFP.

It'll be hilariously negative.
Meanwhile Chelsea have spent a fortune and nothing said

My main concern would be more that our other deals don't get halted because of this. We need a centre back still and shouldn't lose focus.

If Messi truly wants to leave then out door is open and we'd move mountains to get him, the sporting project would be a good fit too in order to match his ambition. We're one of only a handful of viable options.

But we shouldn't chase it at the expense of our overalls strategies.

He’s 33 not 63 ffs... he’s far from old and I’m willing to bet most who are moaning about age still think they’re the dogs bollocks when playing 5-a-side on a Wednesday night lol. You are not the dogs danglies though, but Messi is, even at 33.
as for wages and fee’s it’s been wildly reported City inserted a ‘Messi tax’ in to all our sponsor deals where we can renegotiate terms if we sign him. I’d suggest these added funds will finance it not the club directly.

And most of the papers were assuring us that CAS would undoubtedly rule in favour of UEFA and uphold our ban.
It would be a very difficult situation. I think because it’s a claus within a contract I’m of the opinion a court would side with Barcelona eventually. It could go to cas but I don’t think fifa/UEFA would allow his registration to be transferred With an ongoing dispute ?
other option could be him buying out the remainder of his contract ?

no way we are going to pay the 700m. This is only going to result in bad blood between the clubs whatever the outcome

I really hope he comes. The media and social media frenzy on the hint of him coming means it will be a game changer for City's standing. I'm sure increase in sponsorship if Messi is onboard will more than pay for his transfer fee (if it's needed) and his wages, and the kudos for HHSM to sign Messi will be something I'm sure people will talk about for years to come. Purely from a business perspective, it makes sense for City. However, I just hope Messi isn't using us to get another deal out of Barcelona!

Does there not come a point when this stops being funny? If it ever was

it’s the same with the Aguero 10 or Groundhog day references... It was funny the first post but after two days it’s just tedious and adds needless pages to a thread. Not everyone has been sat at home in their undies scratching their arses for 6 months so they are trying to look between doing work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.