Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what to make of the possibility that Messi might sign for us next year. Positives:
1) He's the world's best footballer still, even at his age, IMO;
2) He's enormously popular with a world-wide following. Signing Messi will bring many new fans to our club and shirt sales alone might compensate for the salary we'd need to pay him;
3) If Pep is thinking about leaving us next year, signing Messi might well change his mind;
4) Messi might well enable us to win our first CL title - assuming that he continues to play at or near world-best form once we sign him.

Negatives:
1) It's hard to see that we'd actually be able to sign Messi. Meanwhile, to the extent that we pursue a failed Messi signing, we'll have diverted resources away from pursing other trades;
2) Messi is going to be 34 years old when we sign him - no telling when he'll begin to sharply decline in performance... on the other hand, Ibrahimovic, at 39, is the top goal scorer in Serie A;
3) For me, Messi = Barca. Prying him away from his life-long club is a shame.

Negatives:
1) It's hard to see that we'd actually be able to sign Messi. Meanwhile, to the extent that we pursue a failed Messi signing, we'll have diverted resources away from pursing other trades;
2) Messi is going to be 34 years old when we sign him - no telling when he'll begin to sharply decline in performance... on the other hand, Ibrahimovic, at 39, is the top goal scorer in Serie A;
3) For me, Messi = Barca. Prying him away from his life-long club is a shame.
It is a negative for little old City to sign the greatest player that has ever lived? and believe me, there is no divertion of resources.

Age is a concern if you are anyone other than Ronaldo and Messi imo, even Ibra as you say did well for the rags when he was here.

I don't think its a shame, its Barca who are the ones who have fucked this up. Barto has destroyed the whole ethos of the club in his tenure and Messi almost single handedly has kept them on their perch.

It is a negative for little old City to sign the greatest player that has ever lived? and believe me, there is no divertion of resources.

Age is a concern if you are anyone other than Ronaldo and Messi imo, even Ibra as you say did well for the rags when he was here.

I don't think its a shame, its Barca who are the ones who have fucked this up. Barto has destroyed the whole ethos of the club in his tenure and Messi almost single handedly has kept them on their perch.
I think we mostly agree - by diversion of resources - let's say we sign Messi. But that we might have instead signed - I'm throwing out some names without necessarily having any realistic expectation that we have a chance to sign them - Jaou Felix - Erling Haaland - Kylian Mbappe.

Would you rather have signed Messi than one of those three? Or some other young player with similar potential identified by our management?
===
I agree that Barca is at fault for alienating its top players - still - Messi is Barca - through and through - it's a shame to think he'd leave Barca under such circumstances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.