Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
manchester33 maybe he fancies a new challenge? i say we do what ever it takes to get Messi and let the problem become EUFAs problem . EUFA are in effect controlling transfer strategy in world football with FFP and they can control it as long as a major asset doesnt want a move, Messi is THE biggest aset in world football today and would command a world record fee,if he were to seek a transfer. So it comes down to what club is willing to take on EUFA and buy Messi? Someone sooner or later is going to have to call EUFAs bluff and see exactly what happens.

lonestay said:
manchester33 maybe he fancies a new challenge? i say we do what ever it takes to get Messi and let the problem become EUFAs problem . EUFA are in effect controlling transfer strategy in world football with FFP and they can control it as long as a major asset doesnt want a move, Messi is THE biggest aset in world football today and would command a world record fee,if he were to seek a transfer. So it comes down to what club is willing to take on EUFA and buy Messi? Someone sooner or later is going to have to call EUFAs bluff and see exactly what happens.

Whereas I would dearly love to see UEFA screwed over this whole FFP business (and ideally the break-up of the whole organisation), I can't realistically see us deciding to take them on. This is what we said after the sanctions were announced:

"In normal circumstances the club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse, however, our decision to do so must be balanced against the practical realities for our fans, for our partners and in the interests of the commercial operations of the club."

I can't see how or why we would change our position, unless the rules were redrafted in an even more penal way and we had no choice.

Manchester33 said:
Messi isn't going anywhere.

Think about it. He didn't get on with the director of football - the director gets sacked.

He had his worst season ever last year, the manager is sacked and someone else is brought in.

Didn't he sign a new contract as well last year?

This has Rooney similarities all over it - act out so you get a bigger wage or a more comfier role in the club.

He would have to be insane to leave one of the biggest clubs in the world where he would be a hero for the rest of his days, to join a relatively small club just so he can play with one of his mates and get a bit of extra money in the mean time (Which he doesn't need).

Really?

Did everyone miss this?

Is Messi being linked with Burnley or Barnsley.

pavelsrnicek said:
Manchester33 said:

Think about it. He didn't get on with the director of football - the director gets sacked.

He had his worst season ever last year, the manager is sacked and someone else is brought in.

This has Rooney similarities all over it - act out so you get a bigger wage or a more comfier role in the club.

He would have to be insane to leave one of the biggest clubs in the world where he would be a hero for the rest of his days, to join a relatively small club just so he can play with one of his mates and get a bit of extra money in the mean time (Which he doesn't need).

Really?

Did everyone miss this?

Or even the rags, they really are small time !

pavelsrnicek said:
Manchester33 said:

Really?

Did everyone miss this?

Come on, if you take off your blue tinted glasses we're no way near the size of a team like Barca, Real, and even though I hate to say it, those bellends down the road. We're a big club on a domestic scale, yes, but not on a european scale - yet.

There is no point being precious about it, we have the lure of being Champions and being probably the best English team at the moment, but for someone like Messi who could pick any team in the world I don't know if we would stand out too much as opposed to the likes of Bayern with Pep.

Manchester33 said:
pavelsrnicek said:
Manchester33 said:

Really?

Did everyone miss this?

Come on, if you take off your blue tinted glasses we're no way near the size of a team like Barca, Real, and even though I hate to say it, those bellends down the road. We're a big club on a domestic scale, yes, but not on a european scale - yet.

There is no point being precious about it, we have the lure of being Champions and being probably the best English team at the moment, but for someone like Messi who could pick any team in the world I don't know if we would stand out too much as opposed to the likes of Bayern with Pep.

I hope your wearing your tin hat.

Prestwich_Blue said:
OB1 said:
I would hope that if the only obstacle to City signing Messi came down to FFP restrictions, City would buy him and sic their lawyers on UEFA.
How is puking all over Platini going to help us there?

Depends on whether we win the legal battle but you have already alluded to the manifold benefits of signing Messi and if it would lead to sanctions, City have to decide whether it is worth it even with sanctions and whether or not the size of the sanctions makes it worthwhile trying to have them overturned.

I firmly believe that UEFA's FFP, among its many sins, is anti-competitive and will continue to do so until a court of law proves me wrong.

Chippy_boy said:
lonestay said:

Whereas I would dearly love to see UEFA screwed over this whole FFP business (and ideally the break-up of the whole organisation), I can't realistically see us deciding to take them on. This is what we said after the sanctions were announced:

"In normal circumstances the club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse, however, our decision to do so must be balanced against the practical realities for our fans, for our partners and in the interests of the commercial operations of the club."

I can't see how or why we would change our position, unless the rules were redrafted in an even more penal way and we had no choice.

I agree he may want a new challenge - that is literally the only thing that would make him leave. But it depends on whether he wants to be known as the best footballer ever who proved he could do it in different leagues, or if he wants to be a cult hero at Barcelona and see out the rest of his days being the most popular man in Catalonia! If it was me I'd be staying at Barca, but he might be different.

I also agree with Chippy boy though, there isn't much point in us fighting FFP. Unless we're going at it from a radically unselfish view of wanting a fairer chance at other clubs reaching the top table. Although we all know EUFA is as corrupt as it gets, FFP will keep us at the top table now because we earn too much money legitimately. We earn the second most out of all the British teams, so we would want FFP in place to prevent a Newcastle or an Aston Villa getting bought and competing.

OB1 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
OB1 said:
I would hope that if the only obstacle to City signing Messi came down to FFP restrictions, City would buy him and sic their lawyers on UEFA.
How is puking all over Platini going to help us there?

Depends on whether we win the legal battle but you have already alluded to the manifold benefits of signing Messi and if it would lead to sanctions, City have to decide whether it is worth it even with sanctions and whether or not the size of the sanctions makes it worthwhile trying to have them overturned.

I firmly believe that UEFA's FFP, among its many sins, is anti-competitive and will continue to do so until a court of law proves me wrong.
You missed the point of that post. Let's try again. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.