Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might I remind you of the UEFA ruling/settlement:

"Manchester City agrees to significantly limit spending in the transfer market for seasons 2014/2015 and 2015/2016."

I cannot see how we could possibly sign him any time soon, whilst adhering to that rule. IF he became available, it's either fuck FFP or no Messi.

Chippy_boy said:

"Manchester City agrees to significantly limit spending in the transfer market for seasons 2014/2015 and 2015/2016."

I cannot see how we could possibly sign him any time soon, whilst adhering to that rule. IF he became available, it's either fuck FFP or no Messi.
but... this was taken from the Annual report...

This year we have also accounted completely for the settlement with UEFA over disputed breaches of its Financial Fair Play regulations dating back to 2010. We have budgeted for a profit in 2014-15 and now expect to be entering the 2015-16 season with no outstanding sanctions or restrictions.

so unless UEFA throw another curve-ball then I expect FFP punishment to have no hold over us next summer

Chippy_boy said:

Yep, that is ghe one sentence that concerns me, how can that be quantified. If I red this right then that covers the next 3 windows including this one. Unless we can bring in over 60 million in sales I just dont see how we could sign him and reduce our overall spending.
you can bet your life that Uefa would sooner see Messi at the Chavs or rags ragher than us.

abu13 said:
Chippy_boy said:

Yep, that is ghe one sentence that concerns me, how can that be quantified. If I red this right then that covers the next 3 windows including this one. Unless we can bring in over 60 million in sales I just dont see how we could sign him and reduce our overall spending.
you can bet your life that Uefa would sooner see Messi at the Chavs or rags ragher than us.

We were told that we were allowed spend up to £49m for 2014/15 but I haven't seen any figures bandied about for 2015/16.

If it's £49m again then we should have at least £74m to spend next summer with the Negredo sale before any sales (Kolarov, Jovetic, Dzeko?).

dan05delaney said:
Chippy_boy said:

This year we have also accounted completely for the settlement with UEFA over disputed breaches of its Financial Fair Play regulations dating back to 2010. We have budgeted for a profit in 2014-15 and now expect to be entering the 2015-16 season with no outstanding sanctions or restrictions.

so unless UEFA throw another curve-ball then I expect FFP punishment to have no hold over us next summer

Khaldoon also stated in his end of season interview last summer that we would be operating without sanctions from the summer of 2015.

We discussed this a little in the thread about Milner/Hart contracts last night. IMO the lack of clarity from UEFA with regards the details of the sanctions is because at the time nothing had been agreed. You have bare in mind that although UEFA would like to state that operated unilaterally the punish City and PSG, the truth is the punishments were decided after discussions with both clubs. The same will apply next summer. If as our Annual Report states, we are operating at a profit next summer, then I would expect all sanctions to be lifted.

I also don't think City would allow FFP to stop them signing a player of Messi's calibre. We're not talking about just a world class player, we're talking about arguably the greatest player EVER to play the game. Oh and Messi's people are only using Chelsea as a stalking horse to apply pressure to Barca IMO.

Mister Appointment said:
dan05delaney said:
Chippy_boy said:

Khaldoon also stated in his end of season interview last summer that we would be operating without sanctions from the summer of 2015.

We discussed this a little in the thread about Milner/Hart contracts last night. IMO the lack of clarity from UEFA with regards the details of the sanctions is because at the time nothing had been agreed. You have bare in mind that although UEFA would like to state that operated unilaterally the punish City and PSG, the truth is the punishments were decided after discussions with both clubs. The same will apply next summer. If as our Annual Report states, we are operating at a profit next summer, then I would expect all sanctions to be lifted.

I also don't think City would allow FFP to stop them signing a player of Messi's calibre. We're not talking about just a world class player, we're talking about arguably the greatest player EVER to play the game. Oh and Messi's people are only using Chelsea as a stalking horse to apply pressure to Barca IMO.

Agree on the bit in bold, he can't add City again so it has to be someone else. Maybe next summer if he wants a new coach/ contract he'll start following PSG.

Chippy_boy said:

I cannot see how we could possibly sign him any time soon, whilst adhering to that rule. IF he became available, it'seither fuck FFP or no Messi.

Meh, years worth of sanctions again to catch the big 4 in terms of exposure and turnover, sanctions which would no doubt be toothless once we signed UEFA's golden boy and any bad press would be far outweighed by Messi in a City shirt.

If we are operating without restrictions on spending this summer then I'm confident we'll be in the mix if he's available. If we aren't then things will be more difficult and we might have to consider sacrificing two or three players to do the deal and would we really want to do that given our squad size is currently restricted?

If Messi wishes to leave Barcelona - and it is a very big if indeed - the first casualty will be FFP, if it survives M. Dupont's challenge, which is another big if. Messi would fetch a fee and wages out of all proportion to anything seen before, and no club - not City, not Chelsea nor PSG nor even Real Madrid could think about the figures involved while not falling foul of the regulations. This would change the issue at stake radically. The talk would no longer be of the right of the owner - of City or Chelsea or whoever else - to invest their money in their club, but rather of the employment rights of Lionel Messi. He is an Argentine, he's not a citizen of the EU, but that doesn't change the basic issue: a sovereign government of the EU is prepared to grant a work permit so that Messi could play for the club of his choice in the City of his choice (with his best mates?) but UEFA is prepared to try to block this and tell him that he can only work for a list of clubs acceptable to them! This issue was almost raised when Di Maria's transfer to PSG broke down in the summer because the club feared sanctions if it paid the fee demanded. No club would miss out on Messi because UEFA tells them they mustn't buy him! No European court would uphold the right of UEFA to decide which club a playerMUST play for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.