Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if he has an option to refuse?
That's what's not clear to me. I keep hearing the word unilateral when refering to this 2 year option but it seems odd that they could force him to sign and it not be a mutually agreed thing !
Imagine telling this lad who's on fire that even if his contract is up, he must stay for 2 more years if they choose it. Even so how would they afford to increase his wage if they can't even afford the free signing they just made.

He must be on the lower end of the payscale. All I can see is him having to also let his contract go to zero because of finances

That's what's not clear to me. I keep hearing the word unilateral when refering to this 2 year option but it seems odd that they could force him to sign and it not be a mutually agreed thing !
Imagine telling this lad who's on fire that even if his contract is up, he must stay for 2 more years if they choose it. Even so how would they afford to increase his wage if they can't even afford the free signing they just made.

He must be on the lower end of the payscale. All I can see is him having to also let his contract go to zero because of finances
The reason I asked was because I'm pretty sure there was a similar situation with one of the rag players a couple of seasons ago, who also had to play the optional year. I don't have an issue with it though, as the player knows the terms before he signs the contract

Dont think PSG is selling Mbappe for much of a discount even with his contract. Also dont see Messi going to PSG, would be City I guess.

I think PSG would definitely be interested in a buyer if Mbappe is serious about running his contract down

the stuff people write on here baffles me more every day. we've reached the level of "does messi actually care about barca?". what more can you say after that
What I'm saying is not that at all. Messi may feel a loyalty to Barcelona but I've no reason to believe he's ever claimed to love it with all his heart, but Messi, like everyone else is a complex character who cannot be reduced to a flat, one dimensional character dominated by the single trait of "loving barca with all his heart". His attitude will be influenced by other factors such as his family and he probably loves playing football a lot more than he loves Barcelona. Professional footballers are almost all fiercely competitive personalities who like to win and Messi spoke last summer of wanting to win the CL again before he retires and that this did not seem possible with Barcelona. His attitude to Barcelona has almost certainly changed over time and with circumstances and he detailed such factors when he put in his transfer request, which was motivated by deep long term frustration with the club. In brief then, whatever "love" Messi feels for Barcelona is a personal, private matter and seems to exert no influence on decisions affecting his career; it is simply not relevant. And in this he is no different to other professionals. I can think only of Alan Shearer who chose to play for the club he "loved", but only after Southampton and Blackburn. Sergio "loves" Independiente but has given his career to Atletico, City and now Barcelona. Rooney "loves" Everton but left as soon as United offered the chance of trophies. What Messi appears to want is professional satisfaction and the chance to win trophies. There is nothing unworthy in this at all.

Apologies for sounding like a pantomime villain, but why don't City fuck Barca over. Get their best youngsters in cheap and make it as difficult as possible for them to keep Messi

Supporting City, i never liked these history clubs and in this Barca's delicate state, we have all the resources to fuck them for good 10 years.

Pedri Ansu Fati and any other player they may have.

Apologies for sounding like a pantomime villain, but why don't City fuck Barca over. Get their best youngsters in cheap and make it as difficult as possible for them to keep Messi

Supporting City, i never liked these history clubs and in this Barca's delicate state, we have all the resources to fuck them for good 10 years.

Pedri Ansu Fati and any other player they may have.
I think they've managed to fuck themselves up pretty well without our help

The reason I asked was because I'm pretty sure there was a similar situation with one of the rag players a couple of seasons ago, who also had to play the optional year. I don't have an issue with it though, as the player knows the terms before he signs the contract
Think the rags put this option of an extra year in all their contracts that they unilaterally activate to protect their investments long term. Think Pogba and DeGea when they wanted out and had one year left in their contract. United refused to budge and activated the extra year. As a result the clubs that were calling lost interest because they couldn't wait another year and signed other players (think Courtois at Madrid). The players resign themselves to being stuck, and the interesting part is that they basically get an unwanted contract extension with no wage increase.

But as you say, they knew the contracts they were signing. Part of me thinks that they think it doesn't matter the length of contract if they want to leave. Unfortunately for them they found out that when the selling club doesn't budge it doesn't matter what they want. They did the same with Sancho jut now. They are basically six year contracts when they sign for 5. Why any of their players agree to this is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.