Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi brings in €500m a year in revenues yet they prioritize signing a bunch of washed up freebies rather than the the guy they simply cannot lose ? Makes no sense to me

They're either all fucking useless in the backroom, tipped off they'll get a lifeline or stupid.... possibly all three.
He's holding out on them. And they've been stupid to add more players to the wage bill before even knowing if they could register them. It's incompetence.

Messi cuts his wage in half meaning he is earning 48m over 2 seasons. If he generates 500m over a 4 year contract then he's still making them more than he's taking so why the fuck did they not sign him up before taking all these other guys on ? Regardless of being able to register him or not they've just made it that much harder.

Sick of hearing how confident they are that he will sign.

I doubt that Messi has brought in that type of income during COVID. Also, Messi is supposed to be earning 120m over the next 2 years.... but Barcelona want to split the 120m over 5 years but La Liga won't let them.

In regards to PSG potentially pulling out, it's probably not surprising after they've just signed Ramos (he's on 12m a year), Wijnaldum (he's also on 12m a year), Donnarumma (pretty certain he's on 12m, not to mention that his agent will get a big fee), and they just signed Hakimi for over 70m euros.

If they were to sign Messi, they would have to let one of their big earners go due to the FFP. You can't have Mbappe, Messi and Neymar in your team without it breaking the FFP rules.

I doubt that Messi has brought in that type of income during COVID. Also, Messi is supposed to be earning 120m over the next 2 years.... but Barcelona want to split the 120m over 5 years but La Liga won't let them.

In regards to PSG potentially pulling out, it's probably not surprising after they've just signed Ramos (he's on 12m a year), Wijnaldum (he's also on 12m a year), Donnarumma (pretty certain he's on 12m, not to mention that his agent will get a big fee), and they just signed Hakimi for over 70m euros.

If they were to sign Messi, they would have to let one of their big earners go due to the FFP. You can't have Mbappe, Messi and Neymar in your team without it breaking the FFP rules.
But you have to take account the fact that Messi would bring insane amount of revenue to PSG.

If the best player in the world was available, PSG would not be pulling out thats for certain. They have courted him fairly aggressively, even putting Messi in PSG kit in the front page of France Football while back.

If Messi had intentions to leave he would have told Laporta to fuck off by now and announce that he wants new challenge or something. There is literally nothing stopping him doing that, but he has not suggests very much that he wants to stay at Barca.

But you have to take account the fact that Messi would bring insane amount of revenue to PSG.

If the best player in the world was available, PSG would not be pulling out thats for certain. They have courted him fairly aggressively, even putting Messi in PSG kit in the front page of France Football while back.

If Messi had intentions to leave he would have told Laporta to fuck off by now and announce that he wants new challenge or something. There is literally nothing stopping him doing that, but he has not suggests very much that he wants to stay at Barca.
The question is ... is his 'unavailability' because he has signed for Barca again or ... for someone else?

Messi probably wants to stay and probably has agreed to stay, but it might be out of his hands. If Barcelona does not sort this mess out in the next few weeks, I doubt that Messi will wait around. He loves the club and his family is very settled there, but he wants to play football next season. Playing a couple of seasons in another country will not destroy his life or anger his family that much. They'll learn to cope with it.

It sounds to me that Laporta has been saying the same thing for the past 7 weeks. He's binding his time and trying to stall.... but in reality, he doesn't know if Messi will be there next year. I mean, you can't just magically get rid of 187m off the wage bill. It's hard to get rid of players like Coutinho, Dembele, Pjanic, Umtiti, Griezmann, Roberto.... etc. Not to mention, even if they sign Messi, there are no guarantees that they sign the other 4 new signings.

He's had months to put this to bed. Exactly what are his conditions ? Trophies, new signings blah blah blah. They look further away from winning things than they ever have. He was so unhappy last year and willing to leave but now everyone's ok. He's fine but everyone else will suffer

If that was the case, he would have signed ages ago.

I am only speculation here, but my guess is that any contract extension would count as a added cost to the wage bill because thats what it is. Messis contract expired and him signing a new contract would no matter how you look at it mean a huge expense for the club next season that they wouldn't have if he didn't extend.

The reason clubs are allowed to be above the wage cap with their current players are because of one reason, and one reason only: The clubs are legally bound to the cost of their contracts by already signed deals.
Barcelona has no obligation to pay Messi anything next season.

There is no big difference between extending a contract or making a new signing from a financial point of view.

In terms of the waged vs the cap, absolutely.

In terms of restrictions though, not so sure. I.e if the restriction, as I read it, is on new players signing, then Messi extending doesnt affect their cap limit, and messi signing as a new player doesnt either, but the latter does mean they have to find 3 times as much in savings to register him.

Obviously, speculating, and could be wrong, but that is how I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.