Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This PSG side might be the strongest I've ever seen on paper.

Barcelona 2008-2009, 2015 only thing close.
Glad you've said "on paper".
PSG have proved absolutely nothing yet. Barcelona completed a treble of the finest football ever witnessed in 08/09 along with a Champions League in 2015.
PSG are a million miles away from that.

Still can’t believe we wanted him for over 10 years and in the 3 days he was finally available he just goes to PSG. So disappointed feel like I’ve been blue balled for 10 years.

We went for him in 2016, that's 5 years not 10.

The twat used us twice, flirting with us to pressure barca to concede to his demands.

Would have been nice to have him here even for two seasons at his age, but I won't lose sleep over not signing the ****.

Last edited:
Still can’t believe we wanted him for over 10 years and in the 3 days he was finally available he just goes to PSG. So disappointed feel like I’ve been blue balled for 10 years.
It is maybe the fact that we purchased Grealish, gave him the number ten shirt, and also voiced the fact that City were no longer interested in him.

I'm confused. What is the 5 million you're referencing? PSG (if Messi joins) will have added over 100m in wages per year onto an already hefty existing wage bill of over 200m per year.

Time will tell, but I suspect they are going to get shafted by UEFA. Absolutely no chance they're hitting FFP targets with that wage bill.
I wasn't referencing anything in particular was just an example. Those signings would get a wage regardless of whether a fee was paid or not. Assuming they pay them more in lieu of a transfer fee, every 100k a week over what they would have paid anyway is the equivalent of £5 million in transfer fees, then multipled by their contract length. Point being, giving them big wages isn't going to be a major issue when they're not spending on transfer fees.

We've just committed to spend £160 million over 6 years on Grealish, this is by no means exact, they won't all earn the same, we've no idea about additional fees on either side, contracts lengths are different etc etc but purely for argument sakes, PSG would have to have donnarumma, wijnaldum and ramos on about 300k per week each to spend (very roughly) a similar amount on 3 players.

I'm excluding Messi from all of this because his wages are largely irrelevant as he pays for himself.

I'm not denying their wage bill will be eyewateringly big but I don't see why so many are quick to claim they can't afford it. They have a lot of money, they earn a lot of money and spend a lot of money.

Just throwing out random unfounded accusations about them failing ffp is doing exactly what every clueless fan of other clubs says about us with their city bingo lines. We don't need to be doing the same with other clubs.

I wasn't referencing anything in particular was just an example. Those signings would get a wage regardless of whether a fee was paid or not. Assuming they pay them more in lieu of a transfer fee, every 100k a week over what they would have paid anyway is the equivalent of £5 million in transfer fees, then multipled by their contract length. Point being, giving them big wages isn't going to be a major issue when they're not spending on transfer fees.

We've just committed to spend £160 million over 6 years on Grealish, this is by no means exact, they won't all earn the same, we've no idea about additional fees on either side, contracts lengths are different etc etc but purely for argument sakes, PSG would have to have donnarumma, wijnaldum and ramos on about 300k per week each to spend (very roughly) a similar amount on 3 players.

I'm excluding Messi from all of this because his wages are largely irrelevant as he pays for himself.

I'm not denying their wage bill will be eyewateringly big but I don't see why so many are quick to claim they can't afford it. They have a lot of money, they earn a lot of money and spend a lot of money.

Just throwing out random unfounded accusations about them failing ffp is doing exactly what every clueless fan of other clubs says about us with their city bingo lines. We don't need to be doing the same with other clubs.
I don't get this 'Messi pays for himself'. This is the issue with having a Superstar when you're not winning everything in sight. The extra Messi brings in commercial revenue, probably goes straight into his wage packet, so there's no financial gain for Barca.

Well evidently there isn't. He's been with them for over 20 years, & now they're flat broke by all accounts. Even with Messi there, it's not helped them out of their financial hole.

A club needs their Superstars to help win trophies, not just sell more football shirts in the Far East.

One thing this proves is that Messi is after one thing, money. He has used City twice for financial gain to seek out a new and improved contract with Barcelona, and now within 48hrs of Barcelona confirming he will leave as they can’t afford him, off he goes to PSG who will have offered him the highest wages imaginable. On one hand I say fair play to him, on the other, if he really did want to unite with Pep again I’m sure there was an option on the table which he has refused. TBH, the French league will suit him as a player. I’ve said for 18 months the Premier League was a huge step up for him and one that could have proven too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.