Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I would've signed him, as I would've loved to see one of the greatest ever players at City. There's no denying his talent and ability to change games.

This year though, I don't want him. He's left Barcelona not because he wants a new challenge but because he's not getting enough money. He wanted to stay and given he is a multi, multi millionaire could easily have done. How much money does he need?

I don't think he will have his heart in any team now. And I also think he will end up at Barcelona.

I hope the club's learnt it's lesson, like it did when dealing with that tool at Napoli.

We should leave him to go to PSG and concentrate on Kane.
nope, he couldn't even play for free at Barca such is their loss in revenue last season.

Look at this logically…
Lets hypothetically say we did manage to sign Messi. If we paid him say £30m a year for 2 years that’s an investment of £60m! £60m for Messi! That’s peanuts, yes on paper it’s a ridiculous wage but had we got him last year he’d of cost £100m just to sign then a wage on top. It’s a no brainier as a free agent.
The PL would also benefit from him joining, the tv views would rocket, bums on seats would increase and sponsorship for the league would increase be it TV rights, or soft drinks etc. Whatever, but sponsors would line up for City and the Premier League.
I’d argue other clubs would benefit too, smaller clubs would sell out as fans want to watch Messi live. It benefits not only us but the league which is why La Liga have let Barça get away with what they have for so long, they benefitted.
Just my opinion of course… Doubt he’d sign for us but financially it makes sense and commercially it does too.

Look at this logically…
Lets hypothetically say we did manage to sign Messi. If we paid him say £30m a year for 2 years that’s an investment of £60m! £60m for Messi! That’s peanuts, yes on paper it’s a ridiculous wage but had we got him last year he’d of cost £100m just to sign then a wage on top. It’s a no brainier as a free agent.
The PL would also benefit from him joining, the tv views would rocket, bums on seats would increase and sponsorship for the league would increase be it TV rights, or soft drinks etc. Whatever, but sponsors would line up for City and the Premier League.
I’d argue other clubs would benefit too, smaller clubs would sell out as fans want to watch Messi live. It benefits not only us but the league which is why La Liga have let Barça get away with what they have for so long, they benefitted.
Just my opinion of course… Doubt he’d sign for us but financially it makes sense and commercially it does too.
That could be part of the issue, if we pay mega money to Messi how are De Bruyne, Raz etc going to feel?

I don’t actually think there is a problem here, I just think city need to think about what they want, and the direction of travel from a football perspective.

We are currently creating what pep usually does which is a spine of the best native players at a club with some brilliant additions.

Do we continue down this road (I suspect so given the English talent coming through and our academy prospects) or bring in a Messi which blows football away, takes us to the next level commercially, five years quicker?

I think the financial impact of the pandemic, more so on other clubs, has elevated us into a position of power quicker than expected so either way - the club is in a good place.

Let’s leave the decision making to the experts and be happy with where we are, we don’t NEED Messi as we did before, we are in a good place.

Trust the club - they will deliver, and to be honest they seem pretty relaxed about everything at the moment so I feel that they are happy about this summer and moving into next season.

I don’t actually think there is a problem here, I just think city need to think about what they want, and the direction of travel from a football perspective.

We are currently creating what pep usually does which is a spine of the best native players at a club with some brilliant additions.

Do we continue down this road (I suspect so given the English talent coming through and our academy prospects) or bring in a Messi which blows football away, takes us to the next level commercially, five years quicker?

I think the financial impact of the pandemic, more so on other clubs, has elevated us into a position of power quicker than expected so either way - the club is in a good place.

Let’s leave the decision making to the experts and be happy with where we are, we don’t NEED Messi as we did before, we are in a good place.

Trust the club - they will deliver, and to be honest they seem pretty relaxed about everything at the moment so I feel that they are happy about this summer and moving into next season.

Pep doesn't 'usually' do that though does he, he hasn't 'created' that before as such. At both Barcelona and Bayern, that was already the case. He bought as many foreign players as he did native ones at both, at at Bayern I dare guess more.

For me if he was looking to do that, probably would have done it 4 or 5 years ago. There may be something in futureproofing against changing quotas but generally I think he is going for the players he happens to think are best fit, and proven in the league. Rather than because they are natives.

Agree with all the rest entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.