Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped reading when you wrote Barce have a better squad than ours, with or without Messi. Not even close

They've been shite for about a year. Wasn't expecting them to ship 8 to Munich but I thought they'd get well beaten. We would destroy them too if we played without the handbrake on. Absolutely shite La Liga teams cut through them for fun on the counter.

I can see why you'd say that but you haven't looked at the numbers and the numbers reveal all.
Look at them and you'll see which world he doesn't improve us in, it's this world, the one we're in, and that's the problem.
You must appreciate that Barca have an excellent squad even without Messi, a squad that's as good as or likely even better than ours.
However, with Messi in their side, and playing in a weaker league than we do, they score less than us and concede more because when he's on the pitch everything must go through him. So they don't play as a team (the Messi effect), they score less as a team, and he doesn't press or tackle or track back or even attempt to jog back, so they play with 10 men in the defensive phases of a game and concede goals that they wouldn't concede if they had a team player rsther than Messi.
He doesn't improve Barca, a side built to fit him like a glove, so he won't improve us.

I'm baffled as to how people look at Messi and instantly forget that football's a team game and the best teams win. Having a super duper star in your side achieves not an awful lot if the super duper star is above playing as a team player.

All IMO of course.
The numbers tell me he is the greatest player of all time. Barcelona do not have an excellent squad at all, its crap outside of about 4 players.

They score less and concede more because the team is a shambles, the coaching and recruitment has been piss poor for years.

In the past few years he has had to take the team on his shoulders and carry it because what options does he have? hes the superstar in a team crumbling around him. If you had the greatest player of all time you are going to pass the ball to other players? when we are searching for a goal do we say to KDB "Nah not today mate, I reckon Gundogan will win us this game instead".
Did the 86 Bulls pass the ball to Scottie Pippen or Michael Jordan?
Did the New England Patriots put the ball in the hands of Tom Brady or run the ball when time is running out?

Im baffled how you can look at Messi and think hes not a team player, fck me. Does he not have the most assists in the La Liga every year and the most of all time?

Messi is not above playing as a team player when he has a team around him, look at him when he was in the 2011 Barca team, arguably the greatest of all time. All anyone spoke about was how humble he was and how he was racking up goals and assists for Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Pedro and Henry etc. Under Pep he used to run his socks off, its what the Barca team was about. Since Pep left its been a dilution of the infamous "3 second press" and all of the standards that Barca used to have.

You want Messi charging around the pitch like a mad man so he can win it and pass the ball to Martin fucking Braithwaite once of Boro and scorer of about 50 goals in 10 years.

Fair do’s, that’s your opinion and I must say that it’s nice to see an opinion with at least a small element of reason behind it rather that all the blinkered ‘goat’ talk.

So, to expand on your reasoning, you think that Barca scored 86 and conceded 38 last season in weaker league than ours (compared to our 102 for / 35 against in the PL) is that Messi is let down by the crap players around him?
I don’t watch enough of Barce to be able to analyse them as much as I could City, but from what I have seen Messi is still way ahead of anyone else in the squad, for both brilliance and consist. Quite what “blinkered goat talk” I have been engaging in I don’t know, but I won’t bleat about it

Messi might be a lot of things and there's arguments to be had as to wherever signing him or not is a good idea (of course it's a fucking good idea!) but this notion that he's not a team player is absolutely batshit crazy. Maybe for Argentina he takes on too much responsibility at times but for Barcelona he's the epitome of a team player. He's forever linking the play between defence and attack and the amount of chances he creates for others is off the chart.
Signing him then telling him to run his bollocks off for 90mins would be laughable yet some seem to think that's what he should be doing to fit in here. I mean, we already have Mahrez who doesn't chase back and run his arse off but I rarely see people say he should be. If we could sell Mahrez and use the fee towards getting Messi then that would be fandabydozy.

I think it is pointless to talk about pros and cons of signing Messi because they is no scenario where cons outweigh the pros. But I really think it is time for Messi to introspect his professional life. He has given his all to the club albeit getting paid handsomely for it but it happens when you are the GOAT. There is no loyalty about Barcelona. It is an utter shit show. He may want to prove the few naysayers wrong by moving to a different league.
He has gone 5 years without winning the CL and there is no indication they can improve next year. I may resent him a little bit if he still decides to stay at Barcelona and even further if this I am leaving bullshit leads to an increase pay.
He has more money that God. I would hate if he takes the Gareth Bale route and stays put, content on La liga or a few domestic cups. Because those old age home of a team won't be winning an CL soons.
If i had to put my money, I would even put few quids on City winning the CL before Barcelona.

I don’t watch enough of Barce to be able to analyse them as much as I could City, but from what I have seen Messi is still way ahead of anyone else in the squad, for both brilliance and consist. Quite what “blinkered goat talk” I have been engaging in I don’t know, but I won’t bleat about it

The mention of 'blinkered goat talk' wasn't aimed at you, and I'm sorry if it came across as being personal.
It was a referring to those promoting the "he's the best player in the world, so look no further he'll make us better" line without considering that he's only as good as he is nowadays because the team he's in is custom made to compliment him.
I actually believe that Pep wouldn't want him now because everyone pressing as a team is fundamental to how we perform (even Aguero has to press under Pep) and Messi's got to the stage where he wouldn't even run for the last bus.

The mention of 'blinkered goat talk' wasn't aimed at you, and I'm sorry if it came across as being personal.
It was a referring to those promoting the "he's the best player in the world, so look no further he'll make us better" line without considering that he's only as good as he is nowadays because the team he's in is custom made to compliment him.
I actually believe that Pep wouldn't want him now because everyone pressing as a team is fundamental to how we perform (even Aguero has to press under Pep) and Messi's got to the stage where he wouldn't even run for the last bus.
It’s no problem, I love The Goat

In the circumstances I could see Messi leave. A rebuild at Barca is going to take 2/3 seasons minimum which Messi hasn’t got. Realistically, there’s probably only 3 clubs who would genuinely feel they could sign him: ourselves, PSG and the Rags. He’s not going to the Rags because why would he...so it’s between us and PSG. I would put them as favourites as Neymar is now likely to stay. Hope I’m wrong. Messi in a City strip - I think I would spontaneously combust :)

I would also add Inter to this equation, especially if they get their Chinese backed owners on board.
Plus the Italian networks would love to spend the cash in marketing the rekindling of the Messi vs Ronaldo rivalry.

Would say if he ever does move from Barca, the Italian League would probably be the most easiest transition for him both on & off the field. Playing for Conte could be a sticking point but doesn’t seems to have done Lukaku or Martinez any harm.

I would also add Inter to this equation, especially if they get their Chinese backed owners on board.
Plus the Italian networks would love to spend the cash in marketing the rekindling of the Messi vs Ronaldo rivalry.

Would say if he ever does move from Barca, the Italian League would probably be the most easiest transition for him both on & off the field. Playing for Conte could be a sticking point but doesn’t seems to have done Lukaku or Martinez any harm.

The only reason I'd see him leave Barcelona is to improve his chances of winning a European Cup. With respect, City have a better chance than Inter, Sergio is here and Pep is here. I don't see why he'd move to Inter over City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.