Lionel Messi.......

There is a light said:
Pigeonho said:
Not really. Competitively speaking, the PL is the greatest. Don't forget for every Messi there are a couple of SWP's, Petrov's, Rosicky's, Modric's etc. For every Ronaldo there are a couple of Torres', Drogba's, Tevez's etc. Over here there is a far more abundance of talent, whereas there its in dribs and drabs. It is a great, great league La Liga, but not as good as this league. Messi has been at Barca for years and will probably never leave, ala Giggs. Tranny wanted to play for the club of his 'dreams', and thats why he left for there. Other than that I can't think of any major exports from England to Spain of any major significance other than Alonso.....oh and Pennant!!

Maybe so, but they have the two best players in the world and by far and away the best team IMO. Apart from Real and Barca, Valencia have won a couple of titles in the past 10 years and Deportivo, Sevilla and Villareal have all had a good go at it. Until this year, the lack of competition has been the real weak point of the PL though, United and Chelsea, with the odd year of Arsenal being competitive and Liverpool in one year. Then you have the mid table group which stays the same, and then the relegation fodder. The development of City, Villa and Tottenham will hopefully make our league more competitive over a full season.

But the reason those other teams had a crack was because only 2 teams had the best players. Valencia had some good players, but only enough to crack the other teams in the league other than the big 2. It was like the Scottish league in that sense, but with a few of the remaining teams more capable of winning games, challenging in the process. Its no secret though the main players are Barca and Madrid...2. Over here it could be considered only 3 challenge, 4 when Liverpool feel like it, and thats why ours is only slightly better but when the likes of Torres are coming from there to here, it shows what our product is. Messi is a freak in club terms, as he will never leave there because he has no need too. Ronaldo was always going to end up at Madrid, but in recent times he is the only major export from the PL to LL. Alonso went, but I didn't really take any notice of that like I did with the tranny departure. More quality players come over here, and as you rightly point out now with us and Spurs signing more overseas players, it compliments the already established Chelsea, Arsenal and united to make our league even more better.

Pigeonho said:
There is a light said:
Ha, talk about a comprehensive comeback.

Messi is frightening, as is Ronaldo. With those two plying their trade in La Liga it kind of makes a mockery out of the Premier Leagues claim to be the best in the world.

Not really. Competitively speaking, the PL is the greatest. Don't forget for every Messi there are a couple of SWP's, Petrov's, Rosicky's, Modric's etc. For every Ronaldo there are a couple of Torres', Drogba's, Tevez's etc. Over here there is a far more abundance of talent, whereas there its in dribs and drabs. It is a great, great league La Liga, but not as good as this league. Messi has been at Barca for years and will probably never leave, ala Giggs. Tranny wanted to play for the club of his 'dreams', and thats why he left for there. Other than that I can't think of any major exports from England to Spain of any major significance other than Alonso.....oh and Pennant!!

Beckham and Owen went there.

There are plenty of other quality players in spain that more than live up to the SWP's, Petrov's, Rosicky's, Modric's etc of this world.

The PL is the most exciting league in the world, not sure I would call it the best in terms of ability tho.

ElanJo said:
Pigeonho said:

There are plenty of other quality players in spain that more than live up to the SWP's, Petrov's, Rosicky's, Modric's etc of this world.

The PL is the most exciting league in the world, not sure I would call it the best in terms of ability tho.

So did Woodgate. ;-)

Each to their own mate, and I literally think there is hardly anything in it, but I think our league just shades it.

Pigeonho said:
There is a light said:
Maybe so, but they have the two best players in the world and by far and away the best team IMO. Apart from Real and Barca, Valencia have won a couple of titles in the past 10 years and Deportivo, Sevilla and Villareal have all had a good go at it. Until this year, the lack of competition has been the real weak point of the PL though, United and Chelsea, with the odd year of Arsenal being competitive and Liverpool in one year. Then you have the mid table group which stays the same, and then the relegation fodder. The development of City, Villa and Tottenham will hopefully make our league more competitive over a full season.

But the reason those other teams had a crack was because only 2 teams had the best players. Valencia had some good players, but only enough to crack the other teams in the league other than the big 2. It was like the Scottish league in that sense, but with a few of the remaining teams more capable of winning games, challenging in the process. Its no secret though the main players are Barca and Madrid...2. Over here it could be considered only 3 challenge, 4 when Liverpool feel like it, and thats why ours is only slightly better but when the likes of Torres are coming from there to here, it shows what our product is. Messi is a freak in club terms, as he will never leave there because he has no need too. Ronaldo was always going to end up at Madrid, but in recent times he is the only major export from the PL to LL. Alonso went, but I didn't really take any notice of that like I did with the tranny departure. More quality players come over here, and as you rightly point out now with us and Spurs signing more overseas players, it compliments the already established Chelsea, Arsenal and united to make our league even more better.

Those greater imports are all down to money though are they not? The Premier leagues marketing wins hands down against any other league in the world. This then creates the investors and the TV money and advertising and of course the great players. I'm sure with the same amount of money, the lesser Spanish clubs could attract the same players, just like Serie A did in the 80's and early 90's. To be honest though I can't see the PL losing the current position of strength that it holds in European football in terms of money and being able to attract good quality at all levels.

Pigeonho said:
And breathe.

Messi is an awesome, amazing player and depending on how you see things, he's the best in the world. What i'm trying to say though is that he is the best in the world whilst staying with one club and whilst I firmly believe he should stay there and play his entire career at the best club in the world, stacking up medal after medal, I don't think he can be labelled the best until he's tried his trade in the best league in the world. Thats just my opinion. An example is Shevchenko. Many said he was the complete striker, based on his goals in Serie A and the Ukraine league before that, plus his international strike rate. He came to England, home of the best league in the world and failed, miserably. He went with his reputation in tatters and his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Ok, age was against him and no-one knows if a mid-20s Shevchenko would have cut it here or not. I'm sure you can see the point i'm making though.

Personally I disagree that the Premier League is the best in the world. A big reason that there has been so many goals this season, and teams are getting more points off the big teams, is due in large to awful defending. Some of the defending I've seen this season has been abysmal, and not even from the likes of Burnley, Hull, Wigan, etc, but from the likes of the "big 4". I've seen shocking defending from Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, and Arsenal. Earlier in the season our defending was a joke. Torres had a great first season in English football, which surprised many, as he was not a prolific scorer in Spain. He said that one reason he scored so many was because defenders in England are mostly clumsy, and not technically gifted, he described Carvalho as the best defender he played against.

I'm not saying the Spanish League is the best in the world, I don't believe there is a "best League in the world", they're both different, but neither is inferior. I just can't agree with the view Skysports present us that the English League shits on everyone else, I personally think that is nonsense. To me you don't have to have proved yourself in lots of different domestic leagues to be the best player in the world. Pele and Garrincha never played in Europe, Cruyff spent the majority of his career in Holland, Roberto Baggio played the whole of his career in Italy, the list goes on. What made these players greats in their respective eras? They performed on the big stage. Pele excelled as a 17 year old in the 1958 WC, and was brilliant in 1970, Garrincha singlehandidly won the 62 WC for Brazil, Cruyff had an excellent 74 WC, and played against some of the best in European competitions. They all did it on the big stage, playing against the cream of the crop, and that makes you a true great. In domestic leagues you're always going to play against awful teams, but in competitions like the Champions League, and the WC, you're up against very high standard opposition.

Pigeonho said:
ElanJo said:

So did Woodgate. ;-)

Each to their own mate, and I literally think there is hardly anything in it, but I think our league just shades it.

And Henry - the Premierships greatest ever player imo. And Anelka (tho we're goin back abit there)

I do prefer the Prem by far tho. I can happily sit down and watch a game of West Ham vs Stoke and watch it till the end but I'll usually lose interest watching a game between the likes of Santander and Osasuna

There is a light said:
Pigeonho said:

Those greater imports are all down to money though are they not? The Premier leagues marketing wins hands down against any other league in the world. This then creates the investors and the TV money and advertising and of course the great players. I'm sure with the same amount of money, the lesser Spanish clubs could attract the same players, just like Serie A did in the 80's and early 90's. To be honest though I can't see the PL losing the current position of strength that it holds in European football in terms of money and being able to attract good quality at all levels.

Course it does, money is probably the only factor as to why our league is where it is, infact now, it IS the only factor. Its all a periodic thing most likely. Come 2025 the French league could be the best and we are where the Italians now find themselves, with the likes of Owen still striving to find a club in his latter years!

Pigeonho said:
ElanJo said:

So did Woodgate. ;-)

That's actually what I was getting at - there isn't much in it. If you listen to self praise that some of the media heap on our game you wouldn't believe that though. The PL is the self proclaimed Best League in the World, in the same way that the Rags are the self proclaimed Worlds Greatest Club.

Pigeonho said:
mcfc_die_hard said:
So pele is wank then? He never played in the prem so that makes him not as good as samaras and corradi

Based on your initial post I can see you're a kid, so i'll leave it other than saying I have seen our old division 1, which had one televised match a week on a Sunday, and was of a standard which was only half of what we currently see, undergo a transformation of such proportions none of us could get to grips with, and I include the Sky Strykers in that!! Seriously though, what you have grown up with is champagne stuff, a league full of the best and the best alone. I'm no old timer so apologies if i'm patronising you, (i'm 32), but I know enough from watching the game from 10 years old and going to City since being 11 to know how to compare a player and what it takes in the modern game to be labelled the best. Pele was in an era where football was just in its junior state, and he would struggle in this era if he came like for like. That doesn't mean to say he wasn't one of the best, he was, but for you to try and mock my comparison of how the tranny has succeeded in the 2 most elite leagues of our time, is poor, especially with what you used in your mockery. I know my stuff mate, and i'm sure you do too but like I say i have seen our league become what it is now from what it was, and I have seen one of the best players of our time grace that league and then go and do it in a league which is second to our, but not by much. For him to be able to do that, something which many fail at, makes him one of the best players currently playing the game. Messi has not done the reverse as yet, and for me that means he can't be labelled the best.

okay mate if we are going off your point about you have to play in the best league in the world to be classed as the best ever.

Zidane
Pele
Maradonna
Messi

and the list can go on, because they havnt played in the premier league you are saying they cant be classed as the best players ever. rubbish statement

Messi is a class above anyone at the moment and thats including rooney and tranny<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm --<br /><br />
Stackmoney said:
So Messi is suddenly the best of all time after scoring against a bottom team in Spain? Haha what a joke, Rooney scored 4 in a similar performance against Hull earlier this season we don't hear him been mentioned the all time great. OK then Messi scored against Stuttgart maybe he's the best, no wait Rooney scored 4 against AC mIlan, these foreigners get found out eventually. Robinho, Ronaldinho, Kaka overpriced overhyped trash. Real Madrid are top they have one of the worst defences ever so what does this say about the rest of the league. Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Carvalho, Agger, Shawcross, Vermahlen, Gallas etc these are real defenders not girls like Pique nd Ramos who are top in La Liga. Mascherano, Essien, Fletcher, De Jong you would'nt see quality defensive midfielders like this in Spain to, its less physical more space and slower. Come play in a mans game Messi. Nasri's goal against Porto was defo better then Messi's last nite to.

evidently your footballing knowledge is piss poor. Messi is the best on the planet now and there is no stopping him. He has scored 34 this season and i dont think they was all against bottom of the league was they?

He has scored 8 in a week which consisted of 3 games. Oh yeah he also took apart the so called best team in england in last years champs league final

JonnyQuest said:
pele spent hsi entire careers playing in sub standard leagues , most over rated player ever

LOL... you must be on drugs if you think that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.