Lipex, Statins etc Debate

I take 20ml of Simvastatin per day and have been doing for 14 years.My original HBP was 7.9 but now and over the past 3 years I am now down to 4.1.
The problem I have is I can do very little in the way of exercise due to my disability,but for me they have worked very successfully and I`ve also cut right down on fatty stuffs and am currently on the 5:2 diet anyway.
Its a matter of choice,but some people actually need them for a short term problem,if their HBP is massively high.

SophieB said:
nimrod said:
I can see your point but I would never stop taking them, I pay a cardiologist (a very well/highly thought of one) to give me expert advice, and he says its imperative I take them for my long term health

I had an angiogram a year ago and my arteries are clear, (Im 60) Ive been on statins for 10 years, maybe its the statins ??

My Dad & his Dad died of heart disease aged 72, they both had angina (partially blocked arteries)

I'd never suggest anyone stop taking them 'specially if you're happy with what they are doing for you. I just don't trust them so for me personally I know I 'll never agree to taking them. I'm a little bit anti prescription drugs anyway after the last lot I had nearly killed me ;-)

Each to their own. If you can get your cholesterol down by natural means that surely has to be the best option. For those with a history of heart problems the balance of risk may fall the other way.

FantasyIreland said:
ob said:
FantasyIreland said:
I see some people on this thread have a predisposition to the condition which,even with the best of diets,will make keeping your cholesterol under acceptable levels very difficult.
However,out of curiosity...... Do you all attempt to eat as healthy as possible and do you all take regular exercise,both resistance and cardio based?

I didn't but do now.

Cut out cakes, ready meals etc and cook meals from fresh ingredients every weekend then freeze them for during the week, I also have high BP and rhinosinusitis which is inflammation of the airways so take tablets for this as well

Cheers ob,good effort mate.

Always start the day with a healthy breakfast covering all nutrition groups,sets up the body for the day.Base other meals around complex carbs,healthy fat and lean proteins.

Cut back on stimulants(caffeine,nicotine)

Exercise is essential.

Don't smoke mate, I have cut back on beer, usually start day with coffee, glass of cherry juice (helps control my gout),porridge, fruit mid morning, main meal at lucnthime (always home made meal), something light in evening, and tea.

Also try to drink at least litre and half water every day as well. Struggle with excerise due to breathing problems though

ob said:
FantasyIreland said:
ob said:
I didn't but do now.

Cut out cakes, ready meals etc and cook meals from fresh ingredients every weekend then freeze them for during the week, I also have high BP and rhinosinusitis which is inflammation of the airways so take tablets for this as well

Always start the day with a healthy breakfast covering all nutrition groups,sets up the body for the day.Base other meals around complex carbs,healthy fat and lean proteins.

Exercise is essential.

Don't smoke mate, I have cut back on beer, usually start day with coffee, glass of cherry juice (helps control my gout),porridge, fruit mid morning, main meal at lucnthime (always home made meal), something light in evening, and tea.

Also try to drink at least litre and half water every day as well. Struggle with excerise due to breathing problems though

what about sex, can you go into detail here..

nimrod said:
ob said:
FantasyIreland said:

Exercise is essential.

what about sex, can you go into detail here..

what's this sex you talk about - been so long I have forgotten

Bumping this thread as I was asked to have a health check by my surgery, which I saw as a good thing. It was a student nurse so she couldn’t take a blood sample but did a few other checks, which were all ok. The only problem was my dad’s heart attack when he was about my current age and the fact he died from a cardiac arrest 20 years later. So I was assessed at having a higher than 10% chance of heart issues (it was 17%) but hadn’t had a blood sample checked so no idea about cholesterol, diabetes etc. Everything was fine 5 years ago when last checked but the practice nurse, without knowing the outcome of these blood tests is talking about statins.

If my cholesterol is high then it’s something I’ll need to think about but I’m not that fussed about taking something unless I absolutely need it. The cynic in me thinks it’s a box-ticking exercise that may have financial implications for the practice. Anyone else had this conversation with their doctor?

I have to take them along with other stuff as my mums side of the family is a disaster zone of strokes and hear attacks, my cholesterol is nigh on perfect and I have a very good BMI of 22 the doctor just strongly recommends that I take them, very little side effects for me but my surgery keep a very good eye on me and I have regular bloods done.

Bumping this thread as I was asked to have a health check by my surgery, which I saw as a good thing. It was a student nurse so she couldn’t take a blood sample but did a few other checks, which were all ok. The only problem was my dad’s heart attack when he was about my current age and the fact he died from a cardiac arrest 20 years later. So I was assessed at having a higher than 10% chance of heart issues (it was 17%) but hadn’t had a blood sample checked so no idea about cholesterol, diabetes etc. Everything was fine 5 years ago when last checked but the practice nurse, without knowing the outcome of these blood tests is talking about statins.

If my cholesterol is high then it’s something I’ll need to think about but I’m not that fussed about taking something unless I absolutely need it. The cynic in me thinks it’s a box-ticking exercise that may have financial implications for the practice. Anyone else had this conversation with their doctor?
It’s definitely not a box ticking exercise. Statins are recommended in anyone with a risk of over 10%. I’d have a conversation with a doctor though prior to going on any meds and discuss with him the real relative risks. Maybe get a CT, echo or MRI done, as well as bloods.

Have a look at the following: www.riskscore.org.uk
It’s not exact science but tells you where you are at What it doesn’t do is take notice of the family element which may well be a big multiplier. Another reason to have a proper sit down with your GP or cardiac consultant, if you’ve got one.

If your risk is above 10% (true for most men over 60 mainly because of age) NICE guidelines say to offer you statin regardless of how high cholesterol as supposedly will lower your risk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.