Lipex, Statins etc Debate

Mrs Nellie has been on simvastatin to try to slow down the progession of MS and has had her health monitored. I can't see any results obvious but she would try anything to give her a bit of respite

I can see your point but I would never stop taking them, I pay a cardiologist (a very well/highly thought of one) to give me expert advice, and he says its imperative I take them for my long term health

I had an angiogram a year ago and my arteries are clear, (Im 60) Ive been on statins for 10 years, maybe its the statins ??

My Dad & his Dad died of heart disease aged 72, they both had angina (partially blocked arteries)
I’m very similar, heart disease in the family, Dad had a heart attack at 53 but by taking the recommended prescriptions including vastatins he’s still here at 86.

I’m 60 shortly and have been on vastatins (simvastatin) and a beta blocka (Atenelol for irregular heartbeat) for around 25 years. I also take thyroxin for an under active thyroid but don’t think that’s connected to the heart.

I asked my Doc a few years ago if I could come off the vastatins as I heard they can give you joint pain, he said it was my choice but I would be increasing the risk of a heart attack, I’m still on them. I was on Asprin for about 20+ years to help with the heart but it’s left me with a badly ulcerated stomach, I dont take them anymore and the effects of long term aspirin use can be severe, if you are on them and experiencing abdomen pain go and see your doctor.

I have 6, which is pretty high but all my GP says is well you haven’t had a heart attack and you’re still young (I’m in my 30s)... doesn’t sound like sound advice does it.

I have 6, which is pretty high but all my GP says is well you haven’t had a heart attack and you’re still young (I’m in my 30s)... doesn’t sound like sound advice does it.
That's very young,what is the reason for your symptoms?

That's very young,what is the reason for your symptoms?

No idea. I’m pretty healthy, maybe have a few too many takeaways but certainly not overweight or a big drinker. My doctors are pretty useless though and just gave me a pamphlet about lowering my cholesterol. I think high cholesterol may run in my family so it’s perhaps hereditary.

No idea. I’m pretty healthy, maybe have a few too many takeaways but certainly not overweight or a big drinker. My doctors are pretty useless though and just gave me a pamphlet about lowering my cholesterol. I think high cholesterol may run in my family so it’s perhaps hereditary.

Have they given you an diet/exercise advice?

You're far too young to be taking meds because it 'might' be hereditary.Even if it's predisposed,a good diet(none processed/healthy fats/fibrous carbs etc.) can reverse the problem.

Attitude and will power dependant,of course.

Have they given you an diet/exercise advice?

You're far too young to be taking meds because it 'might' be hereditary.Even if it's predisposed,a good diet(none processed/healthy fats/fibrous carbs etc.) can reverse the problem.

Attitude and will power dependant,of course.

I think I’m going to push myself on a health drive, try and eat better, exercise more then in 6 months take another test. If it’s the same I need to push my doctor for a better solution or further investigation.

I see some people on this thread have a predisposition to the condition which,even with the best of diets,will make keeping your cholesterol under acceptable levels very difficult.
However,out of curiosity...... Do you all attempt to eat as healthy as possible and do you all take regular exercise,both resistance and cardio based?
I have familial version which effectively means it is my liver that causes high cholesterol.
Here in Spain my wife was on a statin for a year then when she lost weight and eat correctly she no longer has them prescribed.
In my case I must continue despite eating correctly, weight reasonable and regular physical exercise.
Triglycerides are becoming just as important as cholesterol and are definitely diet related so should be checked when lipid profile assessed.

I have familial version which effectively means it is my liver that causes high cholesterol.
Here in Spain my wife was on a statin for a year then when she lost weight and eat correctly she no longer has them prescribed.
In my case I must continue despite eating correctly, weight reasonable and regular physical exercise.
Triglycerides are becoming just as important as cholesterol and are definitely diet related so should be checked when lipid profile assessed.

Thats great news about your wife.

Yep,when you have done all within your power and your body lets you down....then thats a proper cvnt!

I'm sure many people have been diagnosed and prescribed far too hastily though,when an alternative outcome could be found.

Thats great news about your wife.

Yep,when you have done all within your power and your body lets you down....then thats a proper cvnt!

I'm sure many people have been diagnosed and prescribed far too hastily though,when an alternative outcome could be found.
I have been on various statins ever since they were available but now take a combo of aterovastatin and another that lowers my triglycerides.
Not sure if UK has this service but my full bloodtest is normally once a year at the docs but I go to the local pharmacy every couple of months and he does lipid profile for 10 euros to keep me on straight and narrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.