List of City Captains

You are correct. That was the time that my Dad first started taking me as well so we are both of a good (and long suffering) vintage. Beaky was the captain at that time.

Thanks for that. I thought so, but wasn’t sure. Yes, Beaky! And speaking of that late 50s/early 60s team, I wonder how true those stories were that my Dad later told me about the club having to send a ‘runner’ to fetch Bobby Johnstone from the Parkside at about 2.15pm on a match day. I’d like to think they were!

Thanks for that. I thought so, but wasn’t sure. Yes, Beaky! And speaking of that late 50s/early 60s team, I wonder how true those stories were that my Dad later told me about the club having to send a ‘runner’ to fetch Bobby Johnstone from the Parkside at about 2.15pm on a match day. I’d like to think they were!

Yes I remember the stories at the time about Bobby. He had a reputation for liking a drink & staying out late when he was at Hibs. Rumour has it that it was the main reason he fell out with Les McDowall when he left City to go back there. A true story however is that before he signed for City the directors were discussing how to keep him in check off the field. One of the directors was landlord of the Lord Lyon on Claremont Road & offered to lodge him there to keep him indoors. When Bobby arrived at Maine Road he couldn't believe his luck when he discovered he'd be living in a pub ! Typical City.

Yes I remember the stories at the time about Bobby. He had a reputation for liking a drink & staying out late when he was at Hibs. Rumour has it that it was the main reason he fell out with Les McDowall when he left City to go back there. A true story however is that before he signed for City the directors were discussing how to keep him in check off the field. One of the directors was landlord of the Lord Lyon on Claremont Road & offered to lodge him there to keep him indoors. When Bobby arrived at Maine Road he couldn't believe his luck when he discovered he'd be living in a pub ! Typical City.
Forgot all about the Lord Lion on claremont rd.not my fav pub by any means ...preferred The Sherwood...but nice to know a former City striker used to live there!

Brilliant! Thanks for that. As you say, that story is ‘so City’.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.