"Literally"

Re: "Literally"

The most irritating is when people start telling you something, starting the sentence with 'basically' as if you're thick. It's normally thick people trying to explain something which has no complex element to it anyway.

CTID1988 said:
Does this do anybody elses head in when people overuse it or say it when they arent being literal?
Big fatty boom boom behind me in work says it about 10 times a sentence and its doing my head in, the lazy fat cow.

"i literally walked into mcdonalds and had to order literally a thousand meals for everyone" No, you waddled in not walked and you got 10 meals, probably for yourself you lump.

Yes mate. Literally is a word that should be taken seriously. Idiots use it to try and emphasize their points without treating it with the respect that it deserves. The word literally should take away any single doubt of exaggeration within someone's story, but tools use it incorrectly so you can't take the word literally at face value when you should in fact be able to do exactly that

tidyman said:
Misuse of the word has been an annoyance to me for some strange reason for a long time.

Unfortunately the likes of the commentator who used the term, "The winger is literally on fire," are no longer abusing the language according to the OED.

It seems if enough people talk bollocks enough times, the bollocks they're spouting becomes recognised as non bollocks.

There is now therefore a definition of literally which means something along the lines of, to emphasise a point, not necessarily literally.

To sum up the word literally no longer literally means literally.

i agree with this.

One that really grates with me is when someone being interviewed begins their answer to the first question with "Yeah, I mean..." or worse still "Yeah, no, I mean...".

Also "At this moment in time". You mean "now" don't you dickhead? Collymore take notice.

'What learnings can we take from this?'

Well dickhead, we can take that in this country the word is lessons. It has been for years, it fulfils the same purpose as your trendy abomination and doesn't make you sound like a c***.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.