Liverpool (a) post-match thread

Probably would of missed the pen anyway. More concerned about our inability to score and defend. Been like this since spurs
Now that is the reality of our problems.
We generate plenty of chances but cannot even hit the target let alone score with our shots.
Our defence has no steel so will always be vulnerable so unless we score more we will lose more games this season.
By allmeans criticise var or refs for no pens etc. but I agree the inability to score ie pass the ball into the back of the net continues to be a paradox for a team that is driven by a passing possession game.

Paul Tierney was the man on var, if it was working and supposedly refused the first penalty in 60 seconds. The rule is supposed to be if the ball hits an attackers arm to gain an advantage, accidental or not, then the goal or advantage is ruled out. On that basis the decision was correct. The ball hit Bernardo's arm leading to it hitting Arnold's. The sticking point is should Oliver have blown for a free kick to Liverpool? What is the point of playing on if even if we scored it would have been disallowed? No idea and I don't think anyone else has. The second would also have been harsh as it was hit straight at him and his arms were by his sides.

Agree to a point, but if a VAR check is being made surely the game needs to be stopped? What are the chances of ANY ref disallowing the subsequent Liverpool goal and bringing the game back, either for a Liverpool free kick or a City pen? I try to stay balanced and I know things are not always going to go our way, but if there was any chance of a decision being made for handball, in my opinion it ended when the ball ended up in the back of our net. At that point I reckon either Tierney or Oliver decided to forget it and move on to avoid the undoubted melee that would have followed it.

But I think what is hardest to take is we see those given every week, yet we never seem to get the benefit of the doubt. Even the push on Sterling late on, it would have been soft but you've seen them given many a time. There's no consistency and if anything VAR is making it worse, not better.

It's not over yet. We beat them at ours and the gap is only 6.

Is it possible they can lose an unexpected game somewhere? Of course it is - they would have dropped points last weak if their cheating was not allowed. If they lose a random game somewhere - and I think they will - we'll see if they are winners or bottlers. They are only CL champions because they played even bigger bottlers in the final.

Liverpool will go the entire season feeding off the shite that VAR is throwing out. There will be the occasional one, and that will be the one for the season, where they don't get a decision that was made in similar circumstances the week before at the other end of the country, but it'll be a smoke screen to make it appear that the vagaries of VAR are spread across all the teams in the PL. It's bullshine - we are getting a string of dubious VAR calls or decisions not referred to VAR where, in other fixtures, VAR is providing early gifts from the Magi to give a team a leg up to send them on their way. Riley did at OT - regularly awarding a pen and associated sending off after ten or fifteen minutes for a fresh air foul, and now VAR is the football arm of Deliveroo providing The Dippers with a bounteous haul. In fact, I can see Klippity making the phone call immediately after his presser - Two chicken biryanis, a penalty for the home team and a disallowed goal for the opposition, bitte.

They defended better than us and finished better than us. Most games when that happens you lose. I'm as pissed off as everyone else but this team isn't right at the moment. Done by Norwich, Wolves and scraped over the line against a dreadful Southampton side. Other factors are in the mix but we're 4th on merit.

They weren't dreadful. They didn't play like a team which had just shipped nine goals in their last game. I bet they had more defensive blocks in the first twenty minutes than Watford did!

So many games to play yet and then the other comps, internationals etc and anything can and still will happen.

The can and will is they will continue to get every decision possible whilst we dont.

Unfortunately I agree.

Just imagine for one moment that we played in red yesterday and them in sky blue. The team in blue would have been 2-0 up at half time. 1 penalty for the handball and another one for the shove on Sterling. And the goal from the player in red would have been ruled offside with no video or still image available

Sadly this is not sour grapes speculation. It's 100% certain.

Unfortunately I agree.

Just imagine for one moment that we played in red yesterday and them in sky blue. The team in blue would have been 2-0 up at half time. 1 penalty for the handball and another one for the shove on Sterling. And the goal from the player in red would have been ruled offside with no video or still image available

Sadly this is not sour grapes speculation. It's 100% certain.

Imagine the above, us winning and the media this morning and the calls for VAR to be scrapped.

He was culpable. He backed off and off as he always does, which is nothing, just let the man on the ball get into the danger area then doesn't block the cross.
Sometimes he should maybe be a bit more aggressive, yeah. But that was not the case in this situation. Liverpool were on the counter, and Mane was on the ball. A tackle in that situation is a 50/50 & most likely Mane would have went past him, and been completely free running towards the box. Stones and Rodri denied Mane from cutting inside or getting behind them which was the most important. The problem was that after the cross came in, Walker should have occupied the space outside our 18 yard box, but instead he moved towards his fullback position where Stones already was. Gundos horrendous clearance gave Fabinho the opportunity & Walker gave him the space.

They defended better than us and finished better than us. Most games when that happens you lose. I'm as pissed off as everyone else but this team isn't right at the moment. Done by Norwich, Wolves and scraped over the line against a dreadful Southampton side. Other factors are in the mix but we're 4th on merit.
Harsh assessment but sadly true. While all is still to play for on the evidence of the first 12 games we are a long way short of the mark. The return of the injured will help but may not turn the tide and I fear we will be too far adrift by then for it to matter.

People may rail against VAR but that was not the main reason we lost, it was our poor finishing and that has been a common theme this season. Even the Watford game papered over that when we should arguably have been in double figures.

Liverpool had 5 shots on target and scored 3 (60%) whereas we had 3 shots on target and scored 1 (33%) and therein lies the problem. Pep's philosophy is based on possession up the final third when a fast, slick moment of brilliance produces a chance that we put away. But if that final piece of the jigsaw is missing then it begins to look like meaningless possession.

However, whilst this may have a big say in where the trophy goes at the end of the season, if we don't win it then I don't think we can say we lost it here - we will have lost it at Norwich and Wolves.I don't know if the last couple of seasons are catching up with the boys, but they just don't look the same this time. If there is a silver lining (and you have to be optimistic) then it is that we should have some key players returning from injury in the New Year just when the we get to the business end of the season, both in the PL and the CL. Our job now is to keep touch enough to be able to capitalise on that.

Midweek I called us getting beat 1-5 so I feel relieved and vindicated.
We have a joke of a defence and keeper behind a midfield with no defensive steel.Up front we have a shot shy attack trying to skip through a mass of bodies.
The drop off from the last half of 18/19 Season is alarming.
KDB and Bernardo are way off their best.
Mahrez is still not justifying a place.
Gundogan ,Walker,Otamendi,Bravo,Mendy all cannot be relied on to put in consistent performances.
Kun,David and Fern are now past their best.
Forward planning at the Club is again defective. In the past we stood sill after a successful Season this year we have regressed.
We have been hurt by Injuries and VAR but we were more damaged by not replacing Vinny and not sorting out the Sane situation plus having the clown Bravo as No 2 keeper. Oh and winging it with the long standing left back position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.