Liverpool FA Cup s/f (N) | Post Match Thread

I feel better than I did this afternoon. The first half was a shambles. It wasn't even so much the goals as the lack of movement - the positional game was somehow way off. There was no one in midfield for defenders to pass to, and I felt Pep should actually have changed something after about ten minutes as it clearly wasn't working, and it the implosion felt inevitable.

Second half obvs better, but the shape was all wrong again. We had to drop so many players deep in order to pass out that again, there was no real join up between defense and attack.

But I feel heartened, because Liverpool were largely rubbish, too. Their pressing was the only real bit of their game that worked...

I really hate losing like any blue but today felt especially bad. Did anyone else feel like a good number of our players weren't really bothered? How is that possible in an FA cup semi final at Wembley against our biggest rivals currently? I've read its because we played on Wednesday. I dont buy into that. These are elite athletes. I played amatuer twice a week with a 5 a side game thrown in too. Sure I've read that the defence were not playing out from the back very well and i agree. But there wasn't anything on for them to pass to, which says to me the players in front of them were not moving into space, to give our defenders an option. So Zinchenko and Ake end up going round in circles because they are one footed and have no one in space to pass to. Loads of backwards and sideways passing again. So frustrating to see. I cannot understand how it makes sense to throw a semi final. All that money the fans paid out. I got the feeling last year going for the quadruple was too much and that was why West ham knocked us out of the carabao cup this year. I suppose the City squad is not as good as i thought. Losing Mendy, Torres and the injuries to Walker, KDB & Dias came back to haunt us. A new left back is a must.
We lost Aguero too.

Excellent value is too subjective. However for example the amount we paid for Rodri I'd like a top, world class defensive midfielder. As it is he needed a year to get up to speed and still needs two other players around him (Bernardo and Foden) to do the running he can't do. When Gundogan is next to him he really struggles.

What am saying is that almost all our transfers are very expensive and take a year to fit in. They got 3 excellent players who have slotted into their team perfectly and all for the price of Grealish.
Name the top, world class defensive midfielder we get for what we paid for Rodri.
Rodri bossed the midfield last weekend.

A tough game and one off the back of three in a row where we have had to pick our strongest 11 and work incredibly hard.

Pep had to make changes today. Dias, Walker, De Bruyne, Ederson, Rodri, Laporte all sat it out and with two vital league games coming up that's no bad thing.

We recovered from 3-0 and had them rattled. That Jesus chance was the one...we could have kicked on from there. I thought, considering they made 7 changes midweek they still looked quite leggy themselves towards the end. They're still quite easy to create chances against which is positive in terms of them dropping points in the league, and our chances should we meet in the CL final.

We go again in the bigger competitions. That was one we could lose. Perhaps the only one we can now this season.

Proud of the fight we showed. Ake is looking very good. Ferny can still do a job. Grealish got a goal, a very good one... some positives. The pressure on this quadruple ramps up now for Liverpool. We just need to take each game as it comes and hope we can do the league and CL double which are the big prizes.

Chelsea, should they get through will cause the dippers some problems in the final I am sure. And it means another game crammed into the midweek for liverpool.

Properly depressing watching the first half... after Madrid I was expecting a loss, they aren't machines and Liverpool were able to rest players.

The worst bit for me is when we throw chances away, grealish at nil nil should have scored, the rest of the half was just hard to watch.

I dont get resting the keeper, especially after last year.

Sterling couldn't give 2 fucks about his City career

Scary huh

Yeah that's a problem.

Madness by our club spending that amount on a player the team didn't need.

We don't seem to be able to find a cheaper player, that has gone under the radar and that actually turns out to be a good player.
I don't think Jack has been a bad buy. He could turn out to be one of the best. He may yet replace KDB. He's just not been a signing that has blown us all away...yet. Many of City's buys have been for a comparative reasonable price...Jack was more expensive because of the clause in his contract but over 5 years he could end up being great value. Kdb, Rodri, Dias, Laporte, Walker, Bernardo, Stones, all cost less than Virgil.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.