Liverpool Game is a must Win

A point not enough, we have chelsea to play and arse away, look at the coming fixtures, if we dont beat pool makes the stoke point poor

The thing here is that a win on Sunday will make a big difference and as previous posters
have said give us a very useful "cushion" of 4 points and we've still got a game in hand over our rivals, we would also be taking the points off (one of) our direct rivals for 4th.
Needless to say, the morale boost a win would give the whole club and at the same time demoralise the dippers is priceless as well !

If we are serious about staking a claim for the 4th placed Champions League place , then YES , it IS a must game ......... if only because it would hand Liverpool the impetus to go on themselves should they win it , they'd be full of confidence.

But if we win it it could do us a great deal of good ...... it would really put immense pressure on the likes of Liverpool then to retain their European 'slot' in the top four , and we'd have extra points on them , plus that vital game in hand ......... it might also 'gee' us up a bit for that awkward cup replay that we face at Stoke!

This game could 'make or break' our season if a few ways ...... of course even if we lost we wouldn't be completely out of it ..... but think of the 'boost' a win over them would give us as we approach the 'final run-in' to the season ..... it would leave Liverpool with only 11 remaining games in which to rectify things.

blue John said:
It is more of a must win for Liverpool

This ^^^

We would not be happy to have spent so much money and then not finish in the top 4, but we could live with the consequences. Let's not forget to finish (say) 6th with (say) 65 points, and to have reached the CC semi final and (say) the FA Cup quarter final would represent our best season since 1976 and our best ever season in the Premier League. (Not saying I'd settle for that, just that if that happened, it wouldn't be an absolute disaster in either footballing or financial terms)

For Liverpool to finish 5th however would be nothing short of a calamity. Their entire budget rests upon reaching the quarter finals of the Champs League each year. They have failed to do that this year, and if they don't even qualify for next year, they would have a deficit of about £40m to make up. They could only do that by players sales and cutting the wage bill.

So they are under much more pressure than us because the consequences of finishing 5th are far worse for them than for us. It will be interesting to see if Benitez fields a massively weakened side tonight against whoever it is they are playing in the Europa league. (Bet you a fiver Gerrard doesn't start). Of course it would be great to beat them on Sunday, but we can far better cope with a draw than they can. If we draw, we remain a point ahead of them with a game in hand. They have got to overcome us and hope that Villa and Spurs don't catch up either.

I know whose position I'd rather be in.

I think it's a must win game, if only, to make the fans a bit more confident. Hopefully the constant griping on here might diminish somewhat.

Chris in London said:
If we draw, we remain a point ahead of them with a game in hand. They have got to overcome us and hope that Villa and Spurs don't catch up either. I know whose position I'd rather be in.
Yes, theirs. Have you not seen their fixture list? Also, didn't they win 10 of their last 11 games at the end of last season? If only we still had Mark Hughes and his "my teams always play better in the second half of the season" philosophy...not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.