Liverpool (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

subs are there for a reason, we lost our way in the second half and the dips had a string of corners before they scored even though we still had the better chances.
So what’s your view when we win a game after using no subs?
I mean, it’s entirely possible that he makes a sub and we concede a second.

Doku is a very clever player about 50% of the time, then the other 50% is frustrating as f*ck. He had the beating of taa every time, yet the number of times he turned round and passed it backwards was very frustrating. He also doesn't try very hard to get the ball back if he loses it (Foden was also very guilty of this today).

Seemed very influenced by Grealish's ball retention, yesterday. Determined not to lose the ball and the 'play safe' option that Grealish chooses.

I'd prefer Doku to be Doku...

I like Doku but he’s begining to look a bit of a one trick pony by constantly sprinting forward.. stopping then coming back inside and full backs will soon be on to that...
...you could say stuff like that about that Egyptian right winger you've got.

He's not that fast with the ball at his feet, he doesn't often actually do much to the ball (it's all body movement rather than ball movement) when beating people, he just stops his run and then goes again, and how often does he just cut inside and run across the edge of the box; surely players will suss that out soon and be able to stop him when they've done their "homework"? Surely?

One trick pony? Take your biased red specks off.

In the south stand 3rd tier a scouser had a hard time but there were police filming everything from both sides on the 2nd tier corners where disabled seats are.
had a hard time, he got hit about 10 times, but when he went past me he was pleading he wasnt a scouser, didnt speak scouse but not all fans come from the home team area,

I had a great time at the game yesterday after my health enforced break. Loved every minute, got lots of hugs from folk who had (apparently) missed me(!) plus a Terry’s chocolate orange from the youngster who sometimes has my ticket. I love City fans. :-)

However, you knew there was a however didn’t you, boy, oh boy am I paying today!! *lol* Aches in every bone and muscle I possess, barely able to walk more than a few steps and a little migraine.
But I’d do it all over again if I could just to see the Blues and sing Blue Moon whilst waving my scarf over my head.
Thank you everyone who was there. You made a great day even better. :-)

A lot right in that post. We are missing Gundo more than many realise. We didn't miss Kev so much in the past because of him in midfield. Add Kev into the mix and we went up another level. We have signed Nunez and Kovacic to fill the gap and both are underwhelming to say the least.

No Haaland, Rodri, Kev and Bernardo and we're bang average. I'd even say take Rodri out and we dip massively as results proved when he was suspended. Mind you all are world class players so any team would miss them. We need top class recruitment for this squad, especially in midfield and upfront. When I think we used to have Tevez, Aguero and Dzeko, now we have Haaland and Alvarez. If Haaland gets injured who's leading the line and scoring the goals? Same in midfield take out Kev and we have little creativity. Foden, Grealish and Doku don't chip in with enough goals, I'd probably add Bernardo to that list too.

We're still the team to beat at the moment but we need to get the next phase of recruitment right to stay there. We've spunked over 120 million on Nunez, Phillips and Kovacic and it looks like a waste of money at this time.

So far we've lost to Wolves and Arsenal and dropped points against Liverpool and Chelsea. To score four goals away at a poor Chelsea side and still not win was criminal. Newcastle thrashed them yesterday.

We're slow burners in the league until after Christmas let's hope we kick on again.
To add to that Eddie is crucial and taken for granted

His methods have seen us alright so far.
Even without the subs we had chances late on to win the game.
The lack of subs had no diverse affect, it’s just something fans jump on when we don’t win.
Obviously, when your team wins you tend to celebrate and usually do not analyse how/why the victory was achieved.
City have had an unbelievable success rate under Pep, with a sublime level of football.
However, this was an unusual game as the majority of both sets of players, were involved in International football with a lot of travel.
City used 11 players, whereas Liverpool used 16.
I think if there was a game for Pep to take a chance (there were City players looking very tired), then this could have been it.
The game is now so quick, subs need to be used...

I thought we played well yesterday, but do lack a 'top gear' at the moment. This may be due to injuries or bedding in these new players. My posts are repetitive on this point, but we are in a reasonable position without KDB for the whole season so far and no idea of our strongest 11 yet.

This was amplified by Liverpool making 5 quality substitutes. Having Grealish or Kovacic available would've given us the flexibility to make personnel & tactical changes. Their aggression in the second half, similar to Chelsea & Brighton, caused issues - we need to be able to re-establish control.

Bernardo was brilliant yet again, especially in the first half when he exploited the gap between Salah & Alexander-Arnold.

Ending up feeling a bit reminiscent of games from the last few years, where we made sufficient chances and got into the right areas numerous times, but didn't take advantage of them. Doku was a great outlet but could've got some shots off and Alvarez didn't have his best game either.

If we can get into the New Year within 3 or 4 points or top, given we miss a round of fixtures, it would be a good position to kick on from.
I see things exactly as you do. It is all a bit laboured at present, but we need to hang in there and wait for players to come back. I do think we could help ourselves with team selection though. I would have Phil in the middle ahead of Alvarez, and if we are going to insist on a defender coming into midfield, in the absence of Stones, it has to be Lewis. Akanji isn’t suited to it, and it was why yesterday Rodri was so conservative when receiving the ball deep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.