Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Re: Liverpool are awful

jimharri said:
LoveCity said:
About to take their spending since January to over 100m by signing Gary Cahill according to the Mail.

Where is the outrage about this spending? You hear absolutely no criticism about how much they're spending while we're being called "big spenders in this window" again for spending about 50m on Aguero, Clichy, and Savic!
Yes, but they're Liverpool and they have history. Therefore, they can do what they want.
You beat me to it Jim.

sam the drummer said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14218622.stm

I hate all the propaganda that the rags and Liverpool get from the media. Everywhere I look it's people saying how good their signings have been, how amazing they will be. That team he has suggested is wank, Gerrard (who looks fucked anyway) playing on the right? Johnson at left back? The midfield would get overrun by Bolton and the defence is piss poor.

Dalglish has said he is delighted with the work he has done and I would say that is a fair reflection of the mood of cautious optimism around Anfield these days.

Cautious optimism?! They think they're going to win the league FFS!

haha nice one lawro so absically everything at liverpool is absolutely brilliant at the moment then is it? We'll see

If you wanna see what he really thinks of his top four chances you should watch that video someone posted the other day of him. Gives a lot away IMO

Cautious optimism ?? what the fuck..unbelieveably ironic statement..

Where is all this dosh coming from?
Will Platini conveniently overlook this re; FFP as it´s them and they´ve got

hissttrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Looking at the figures as they stand they have no chance of passing FFP
..but wait...

Right, well i'm going to go against the dipper bashing tide...

Dalglish is assembling a very good team IMO. Put aside the price tags and Suarez, Carrol, Henderson, Downing, and Adam are all very good signings who have improved their squad. People are pointing to their pre season results as proof of something when they're in fact proof of nothing. It's just preseason - and a preseason in which their two best players have been unavailable (Gerrard and Suarez), and a lot of new players have come in.

Liverpool showed some incredible form from the turn of the year onwards. I've had plenty of people say to me "aha, but they had no pressure on them" - I just don't believe that. As much as it may pain a lot of Blues to accept, Liverpool are one of the preeminent clubs in world football and there isn't any point at which there is no pressure on the team. It's constant.

So what can they do this season? Frankly, I think they'll be a much more worrying proposition for the title challengers than Arsenal or Spurs. I'm not sure they can win the league, but then I'm not sure they can't either. Lets not forget the rags won the league last season with a team which most of us thought was in decline. Lastly, underestimating Dalglish is a fools errand. I don't believe this notion that men like him don't learn and evolve. I imagine he's a much better manager/coach/tactician today than he was 10/20 years ago. His "legend" status at Liverpool is a double edged sword. He could've comfortably stayed behind the scenes - but he chose to get back into management - I don't think he'd have done that if he didn't feel he could compete with Slur Alex and the teams at the top...

Feel free to bump this post when they're struggling in mid table in December...;- )

Well it's all about opinions BS. You say they've improved their squad and there's no doubt about that because it's pretty much impossible to sign any player and NOT improve your squad. But have they really improved their team? I think downing is the only player who will strengthen their starting 11. To me it reminds me of our summer under hughes with his 'prem proven' comfort zone signings, in fact that's exactly what the likes of carroll, henderson, downing and adam are. Not bad additions but how do they shape up aginst players of the top four? We didn't crack a weaker top four with our prem proven signings and it was only when we bought the Yaya's and Silva's of this world that we did it. The likes of henderson, downing and adam aren't fit to lace their boots.

Yea liverpool showed good form for the second half of last season, but it's important to note that it didn't last. Their last 6 games or so IIRC were back to mid table form. I disagree with you as I do believe that half a season under no pressure riding a wave of excitement and a honeymoon period with a new manager will be a completely different prospect to a full season having spent a lot of money and with an owner pretty much expecting champs league.

I think to say that they can win the league is a ridiculous notion. There is absolutely no chance at all.

And if anyone thinks I have an issue with Liverpool I really don't, I used to argue with people on here all the time that they weren't as bad as everyone was saying when they were mid table under hodgson. I'm just very relieved that they've blown their new opportunity on distinctly average players who aren't gonna cut it. The money they had available should have put them up there with a squad well capable of a top four spot and not a million miles from the title. Imagine if they'd signed Mata instead of henderson and put the £60 + million they spent on carroll, downing and adam on players of a similar standard to Suarez? They'd be right up there. There's always the chance dalglish could prove me wrong and downings crosses back post to carroll will earn them a champs league spot, but personally I think they've blown it and it's gonna be interesting come the end of the season after spending so much money and not making top four how Henry deals with Dalglish and how much more money he'll be willing to spend

Agreed. I think Dalglish has been placed at the dippers by the BNP. Everybody in or coming in seems to be from these shores.

LoveCity said:
About to take their spending since January to over 100m by signing Gary Cahill according to the Mail.

Where is the outrage about this spending? You hear absolutely no criticism about how much they're spending while we're being called "big spenders in this window" again for spending about 50m on Aguero, Clichy, and Savic!
Yes.

But in fairness we're signing good players.

They're buying crap.

The club that had an issue with us over FFPR may not be that well-placed themselves.

In the last published accounts they reported a pre-tax loss of £20m having paid £18m in interest. Those accounts included the revenue from their last CL campaign so you'd have to knock off something like £35m from their bottom line.

A lot of that interest was due to the debt incurred by H&G when they took over, which FSG paid off. However they still have nearly £100m of other borrowing so let's say their interest bill will be reduced to about £5m.

This means they are down around £23m net, giving a loss of £43m, assuming their wage bill remains static, which it won't. Even in those accounts it's not much less than ours. So losses could be topping £50m and even including a very healthy profit from the sale of Torres they could still be in the red. That profit on sale is a one-off in the accounts to 2011 and won't appear in this financial year's accounts, which are the first to be assessed under FFPR.

It's insane that they're practically pushing Mereiles(sp?) out in favour of Adam. He was their best player after Suarez last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.