Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Re: Liverpool Thread 2012

Sofialady is a City fan, didnt you see the way they said "us" all of the time?

I mean, nobody could possibly be sad enough to register on a forum and pretend to support somebody else could they?

Im convinced.

ban-mcfc said:
Whenfootiewasgood said:
We've been turned down by every manager in the world up to now..... How many have actually been approached by LFC..... its called selling newspapers

pmsl at your username.

you mean it was good when liverpool were good?

this season was voted the best ever since the PL began.

liverpool were shite in the best ever prem season... pmsl

pominoz said:
Anybody else think we may have our fictional Chinese/Dutch friend back, or is it just me?

I do believe they are back in the guise of a Chinese lady called "Ming". If sir would like to find the city tv thread you shall see them unless mods have already cleared them away

Just reading some threads on RAWK, they are finding reality a very painful thing at the moment so most are living in a world of make beleive.

The prospect of mid table to even lower is frightening for them, in my pinion they have now been overtaken by SPUDS and will find it very hard to get back to the top 4 without a huge injection of cash

Two excellent jokes doing the rounds:

Jose was offered the Liverpool job and said -; "Fuck off! - I am "special", but I am not that Fucking "special".

After being turned down by Ronald De Boer, the Racists turned their attentions to his younger brother Rupert !

TCIB said:
pominoz said:
Anybody else think we may have our fictional Chinese/Dutch friend back, or is it just me?

I do believe they are back in the guise of a Chinese lady called "Ming". If sir would like to find the city tv thread you shall see them unless mods have already cleared them away

So it is.

No photo's this time, what a shame, they were the only decent things in its posts.

Let's get some things in perspective:

1) Liverpool have been this country's greatest team (along with you know who). There's no point in trying to deny the truth.

2) 95% of the nation's fans support other clubs and have had to live with a relative lack of success... from fairly decent time (Arsenal) to dire ones (Leeds?).

3) The success of a club is rarely down to us, the fans... we just get subjected to it all... for good and bad. We support who we support, that's that. If you're lucky enough to support the champions, you're lucky, if you're unlucky enough to support Rochdale, you're unlucky. It has nothing to do with us as fans personally.

4) 'Big Clubs' are usually big for many reasons. Not least because they are situation in major cities. That's why Norwich are at a distinct disadvantage compared with City, or United etc. That's not to say they can't do well, or have a few seasons in the sun, but generally speaking it's linked to geographical location and economics.

5) City KNOW what it's like to struggle, and to go from one disaster to another. We've been there. Leeds are now there. The Sheffield cluibs, Newcastle etc... we've all been there, and that usually manifests itself in gallows humour and a lot of sympathy for other clubs that have gone through it.

6) Clubs like Liverpool and United have forgotten their bad times, since a) it was so long ago, and b) they've been so successful since.... which has led to many of their fans constantly touting the 'Big Club' mantra and assuming that the 'elite' of football is a fixed base of (say) 10 teams in Europe. Any notion of that changing, and them being potential victims of the change horrifies them.

7) The mantra of City and Chelsea buying success has some merit.... however:
Money's always played a part in success - let us not pretend otherwise. The 'spend what we earn' retort is laughable when their own clubs are having financial difficulties.
Did City's sugardaddy wealth help them win the title? Yes
Did Liverpool or United reign by spending less than their competitors? No
Let's not forget that before winning the league 'money couldn't buy success' - now they claim it can and did. Staggering. They need to make up their minds which is true.

8) Any sensible City fan will applaud what United and Liverpool have done. We only want the same, and realise we may never get it, but we can aspire to it, and even dream of surpassing it - one day.

9) Liverpool fans struggle to accept they've been surpassed by United. Their last bastion of hope is to clutch on to their very very impressive 5 European Cups.
Depending on how you measure which team has done the best can give different results, but still, it's looking far more likely that United will continue to be successful for a little while longer (not too long I hope).
Winning... and then losing is life.
It's the losing that (some) of their fans just cannot handle.

10) Whilst City have only just smelled the sweet air of success again, we must ALWAYS try to be mindful that we don't make the same mistakes as some of their fans. In some senses, it's inevitable that we will, but I'd like to think we could break the mold and just be thankful for what we have experienced thus far, and hopeful that there's more to come.

And finally...

Of COURSE Liverpool are a huge club... which is why their current quest for a manager is interesting. City fans (I hope) like to look at the wider world of football than just their own back yard. We're not afraid to acknowledge good football, or great clubs, but you'll be hard pressed to find a City fan mocking teams with less success. I'm sure you'll find some that will (every club has them), but as a rule, the scars of our past give us empathy for those not so fortunate.

No one can deny Liverpool's 'history'; but history is only helpful if it a) means you have more fans than most and b) encourages good players to join.

So far Liverpool fans have done a lot of moaning and bellyaching (God knows what they'd be like in the third tier) but they have generally stayed loyal. They will still turn up at Anfield and buy the shirts and stuff and give the club a good revenue. In principle, they're also an attractive employer to many players - it's just they can't compete on wages with us, Chelsea and (probably) United, and they haven't got the Champions League thing.

Problem is, their squad looks threadbare at best. Some of the players are mid-table quality, a few are just dross. The quality players (Reina and Gerrard in particular) look to be mostly past their best. So they need to do a fair bit of recruitment, and their recent record in that department is poor. They need to learn from Newcastle and Spurs as to how to get decent players for relatively little.

Next problem - new manager, whoever he is, will have to be a freaking genius. Anything less than top 4 will not do for the owners, and the fans have high, probably unrealistic expectations. They don't just want to win, but win pretty and at the same time maintain the 'Liverpool tradition' whatever that is exactly.

Next problem - the owners. These guys are rich compared to the average Joe, but paupers next to Mansour. In addition, having wasted £100 million last year, I doubt they want to lash out again. In fact, I have a sneaky suspicion they want to sell the club as soon as they find a way to turn a penny. They've probably already had a nasty shock, discovering the PL is not like whatever league it is they know about in the USA. That it is, essentially, a money pit unless you are extremely shrewd/lucky or can afford to take a long-term-view.

Next problem - the stadium. Outdated dump, albeit nowhere near as bad as their neighbour's. Needs expansion and redevelopment or a whole new stadium. Not cheap either way. In fact, extremely costly.

My prediction - they have to find the next Shankley/Matt Busby/Clough (and they have to find him quick). Do that and they'll be OK, albeit it will take 5-7 years to sort out. Otherwise - the new Aston Villa. If they're lucky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.