Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

To all the dippers lurking on here,I have this to say...If liverpool dont win the title this weekend its....

Dont blame it on the sunshine
dont balme on the moonlight
dont blame it on the good times

Blame it on Gerrard!!

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I don't want to get into any wild predictions about the weekend , as the point I'm going to make remains the same whatever the outcome on Sunday.

There seem to be a number of points being raised by Liverpool fans to point to our unworthiness as Champions. From our lacklustre crowd and poor attendances to lack of players who genuinely care about the club. They are all assertions which could easily be challenged as wrong and undermined as inconsistent, but I'll leave that to others.

What I will take issue with, are the claims that we're a "plastic club" infested with newbie supporters. Whilst this may be true, to an extent, in the wider world, it certainly isn't the case, at least based on what I observe, at most games, certainly in the league. Doubtless this will be subject to some change as the club evolves over the coming years, but at its heart the club will still be followed by a group of supporters who share a common bond, which no Liverpool fan can hope to fully appreciate.

There is a rump of supporters, above the age of 40, who have actively followed the club for the last 30 odd years as it stumbled from one disaster to another. There are also younger fans who had to endure much of those difficulties, but their time of birth may have spared them to some extent. These are supporters who witnessed a once leading club, inflict wounds and mediocrity upon itself while they stood by, helpless. A group of fans who looked towards the top of English football, when City were no longer a part of it, with a mixture of regret and anguish, while their local neighbours swept all before them at a time when English football was gripped in a cycle of growth. All this against the backdrop of the teams at the top taking ever increasing measures to protect and calcify their positions, to exclude fallen giants like ourselves. And yet in spite of that these supporters carried on following the club in great numbers, wondering, in fact, if we'd even see a cup final again in our lifetimes. We managed to claw our way back to the top division and stay there, but the reality was that there was a glass ceiling in place through which we could not hope to break.

And then everything changed. By a combination of happenstance, circumstance and good fortune someone decided we were worth a punt and the outcome of that punt is there for all to see at the top of the Premier League with only a game to go.

So say all you will about the crowds and their lack of noise. It's all fair game, but know this:

Sitting there, in our stadium, with other people who I've shared this incredible journey with for the last 30 years, seeing the plans in and around the ground for greatness, watching some of the best players on the planet play for my club, planning Eurpoean aways which a decade ago were in the realms of fantasy, it does, at times feel a little unreal.

But to me, to us who've lived through that narrative, there's nothing about it that feels plastic in any way whatsoever. To have followed Manchester City for the last three decades and to end up where we currently reside feels anything but hollow.

It feels, in fact, absolutely fucking amazing.
Fucking brilliant post GDM. I too are of 40+ generation, and have waited since my first game in 82, for times like these we are having now. Season ticket holder come rain or rain, and the only plastic on me is my card and cash card.

Scouse vigil fucking vigilisers!.

GDM - Very possibly your best post yet. Like you I've been on the same journey and seen my hopes and dreams dashed, ground into the dirt and spat upon for decades. But it was still Our City. Today, watching Our City consists of watching two World Cup winners in the side, the African Footballer of the Year for the last God knows how many years, England's unchallenged number 1, a significant chunk of the squad of the World and European champions, at least two stars of Argentina's excellent national side and all captained by the skipper of a very good Belgium side. Seeing relentless attacking football all season. Totally destroying sides we'd have been overjoyed to get a point from not so many years ago. A class manager. Fantastic owners. And maybe best of all, shitting all over the rags and shoving all their snide, classless and arrogant comments right back down their collective throats.

It's like a dream but thankfully it's not. It's for real.

Why Always Ste said:
Many bitter, child-like comments on RAWK/Twitter but on sites such as RAWK if you look at the topic which these comments arise from, you'll see many Liverpool fans challenging these opinions.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we (city) have the highest average age support in the league, and one of the more mature viewpoints usually when commenting on football matters.

Places like Ragcafe/RAWK are packed full of angry teenage boys, late for school as they're up all night on these forums.

This place will be the same in years to come as our fanbase average age lowers.

Should have our age displayed under our usernames as I feel it's relevant to how the comments are expressed.

Nothing to do with age, I'm 21 & I'll beat most older City fans in my local on footy knowledge & there's plenty of flappers on here over 40.

You're as old as you think you are.

I don't want to get into any wild predictions about the weekend , as the point I'm going to make remains the same whatever the outcome on Sunday.

There seem to be a number of points being raised by Liverpool fans to point to our unworthiness as Champions. From our lacklustre crowd and poor attendances to lack of players who genuinely care about the club. They are all assertions which could easily be challenged as wrong and undermined as inconsistent, but I'll leave that to others.

What I will take issue with, are the claims that we're a "plastic club" infested with newbie supporters. Whilst this may be true, to an extent, in the wider world, it certainly isn't the case, at least based on what I observe, at most games, certainly in the league. Doubtless this will be subject to some change as the club evolves over the coming years, but at its heart the club will still be followed by a group of supporters who share a common bond, which no Liverpool fan can hope to fully appreciate.

There is a rump of supporters, above the age of 40, who have actively followed the club for the last 30 odd years as it stumbled from one disaster to another. There are also younger fans who had to endure much of those difficulties, but their time of birth may have spared them to some extent. These are supporters who witnessed a once leading club, inflict wounds and mediocrity upon itself while they stood by, helpless. A group of fans who looked towards the top of English football, when City were no longer a part of it, with a mixture of regret and anguish, while their local neighbours swept all before them at a time when English football was gripped in a cycle of growth. All this against the backdrop of the teams at the top taking ever increasing measures to protect and calcify their positions, to exclude fallen giants like ourselves. And yet in spite of that these supporters carried on following the club in great numbers, wondering, in fact, if we'd even see a cup final again in our lifetimes. We managed to claw our way back to the top division and stay there, but the reality was that there was a glass ceiling in place through which we could not hope to break.

And then everything changed. By a combination of happenstance, circumstance and good fortune someone decided we were worth a punt and the outcome of that punt is there for all to see at the top of the Premier League with only a game to go.

So say all you will about the crowds and their lack of noise. It's all fair game, but know this:

Sitting there, in our stadium, with other people who I've shared this incredible journey with for the last 30 years, seeing the plans in and around the ground for greatness, watching some of the best players on the planet play for my club, planning Eurpoean aways which a decade ago were in the realms of fantasy, it does, at times feel a little unreal.

But to me, to us who've lived through that narrative, there's nothing about it that feels plastic in any way whatsoever. To have followed Manchester City for the last three decades and to end up where we currently reside feels anything but hollow.

Top post as usual mate. What's beautifully ironic is that you can bet many of the so-called Liverpool fans calling us plastics won't have attended anything like as many games (if any at all) as those of us that have been following this club through thick and thin for God knows how many years. While not wanting to turn this into an "I'm a bigger fan than you" type post, it needs to be said that plenty of us on here will have put in more time, money, and effort into following City than about 90% of those that post on RAWK. Pulling on the latest LFC shirt and typing YNWA at the end of every post doesn't make you better than everyone else. Makes you wonder who the real plastics are. Obviously, I'm not claiming all Liverpool fans or RAWK posters are guilty of spouting such utter tripe.

TCIB said:
Just to note if you fancy keeping up with less stupid liverpool fans this forum is well...an actual forum and not a cult website.
I know most know it but many may not know to read here should they want opposition opinion.

http://forums.thisisanfield.com/

Some bell ends on there too.

You know I've always found fans who wish any injuries on any one player, as inhumane, unsportsman-like idiots.

Today, and considering the man's ethics, or lack of, I can't feel anything but hatred towards Dzeko. I wish him nothing but troubles in his career.

This is coming from someone whose idol is Suarez. I've seen a few Liverpool fans labeling Dzeko as a cheat. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

Fuck sake GDM, this isn't RAWK, post your mawkish shite somewhere else. I'm surprised you didn't end it with YSMSA ;-)

only joking mate, great post

Some **** in Singapore doesn't understand that post.

stony said:
TCIB said:
Just to note if you fancy keeping up with less stupid liverpool fans this forum is well...an actual forum and not a cult website.
I know most know it but many may not know to read here should they want opposition opinion.

http://forums.thisisanfield.com/

Some bell ends on there too.

You know I've always found fans who wish any injuries on any one player, as inhumane, unsportsman-like idiots.

Today, and considering the man's ethics, or lack of, I can't feel anything but hatred towards Dzeko. I wish him nothing but troubles in his career.

This is coming from someone whose idol is Suarez. I've seen a few Liverpool fans labeling Dzeko as a cheat. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

Yeah, regret posting that now haha, it has a few less nutters then not many though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.