Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

M18CTID said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I don't want to get into any wild predictions about the weekend , as the point I'm going to make remains the same whatever the outcome on Sunday.

There seem to be a number of points being raised by Liverpool fans to point to our unworthiness as Champions. From our lacklustre crowd and poor attendances to lack of players who genuinely care about the club. They are all assertions which could easily be challenged as wrong and undermined as inconsistent, but I'll leave that to others.

What I will take issue with, are the claims that we're a "plastic club" infested with newbie supporters. Whilst this may be true, to an extent, in the wider world, it certainly isn't the case, at least based on what I observe, at most games, certainly in the league. Doubtless this will be subject to some change as the club evolves over the coming years, but at its heart the club will still be followed by a group of supporters who share a common bond, which no Liverpool fan can hope to fully appreciate.

There is a rump of supporters, above the age of 40, who have actively followed the club for the last 30 odd years as it stumbled from one disaster to another. There are also younger fans who had to endure much of those difficulties, but their time of birth may have spared them to some extent. These are supporters who witnessed a once leading club, inflict wounds and mediocrity upon itself while they stood by, helpless. A group of fans who looked towards the top of English football, when City were no longer a part of it, with a mixture of regret and anguish, while their local neighbours swept all before them at a time when English football was gripped in a cycle of growth. All this against the backdrop of the teams at the top taking ever increasing measures to protect and calcify their positions, to exclude fallen giants like ourselves. And yet in spite of that these supporters carried on following the club in great numbers, wondering, in fact, if we'd even see a cup final again in our lifetimes. We managed to claw our way back to the top division and stay there, but the reality was that there was a glass ceiling in place through which we could not hope to break.

And then everything changed. By a combination of happenstance, circumstance and good fortune someone decided we were worth a punt and the outcome of that punt is there for all to see at the top of the Premier League with only a game to go.

So say all you will about the crowds and their lack of noise. It's all fair game, but know this:

Sitting there, in our stadium, with other people who I've shared this incredible journey with for the last 30 years, seeing the plans in and around the ground for greatness, watching some of the best players on the planet play for my club, planning Eurpoean aways which a decade ago were in the realms of fantasy, it does, at times feel a little unreal.

But to me, to us who've lived through that narrative, there's nothing about it that feels plastic in any way whatsoever. To have followed Manchester City for the last three decades and to end up where we currently reside feels anything but hollow.

It feels, in fact, absolutely fucking amazing.

Top post as usual mate. What's beautifully ironic is that you can bet many of the so-called Liverpool fans calling us plastics won't have attended anything like as many games (if any at all) as those of us that have been following this club through thick and thin for God knows how many years. While not wanting to turn this into an "I'm a bigger fan than you" type post, it needs to be said that plenty of us on here will have put in more time, money, and effort into following City than about 90% of those that post on RAWK. Pulling on the latest LFC shirt and typing YNWA at the end of every post doesn't make you better than everyone else. Makes you wonder who the real plastics are. Obviously, I'm not claiming all Liverpool fans or RAWK posters are guilty of spouting such utter tripe.

It's such a good post - about time someone wrote one so eloquently!

It's almost like sitting down with your Dad and hearing how tough life was for him growing up, only for his Dad to tap him on the shoulder and say "you don't know the half of it son, let me tell you what tough really is". 20 years without a title - they've still won their 5th CL, the FA Cup, the League Cup and UEFA Cup in that time. They've still signed numerous quality players and challenged for the league. They've been able to see some cracking players in some cracking games. For all their dispair they've not been so poor that they've gone down. We've put up with some dreadful stuff over the years and I think why most clubs can do nothing but accept us is that we are still the same... we still panic we will throw it away, we don't gloat. We accept we have been spoilt whilst still respecting the plight of other clubs.

From RAWK:

City go 1-0 up early doors.

They then get complacent and Nolan will equalise before half time.

The commentator will finish the half with "Woaahoho this ain't over yet".

Across to Anfield where Liverpool are leading 2-0 at half time thanks to a Steven Gerrard penalty and a Luis Suarez free kick.

Back to the Etihad where by 70 mins City have been trying to force the issue and West Ham have withstood the pressure, City are forced to sit back as for fear of being undone on the counter.

Liverpool go 3-0 up as Jordan Henderson scores.

It's now into 85 minutes and within the last 15 minutes the whole dynamic of the game has changed, West Ham are flying balls into the box as if it were a training session. City are only able to get out of their own half by Kompany hoofing the ball away.

Into stoppage time at Anfield and Sterling and Sturridge speed away on the counter attack and after leaving the Newcastle defence for dead they pass the ball between themselves before Sturridge walks the ball into an empty net. The Ref decides to blow the whistle and the whole of Anfield erupts into a mass appreciation of a great season.

At the same time at the Etihad another wave of pressure as the ball is out wide with Stuart Downing nonetheless, he beats Zabaleta, goes to the bi line, knocks the ball towards the back post..... Andy Carroll meets the header... It hits the bar! But as it comes down it's ricochets off the back of Kompany and the ball trickles over the line.

Andy Carroll spins away towards the corner flag whilst lifting up his top his printed t shirt says "You're Welcome Brendan - You watching Roy?"

The news filters through to Anfield and the stadium erupts once again. The rest is history.

I watched the Barlow meets Corden programme the other night and I can only see us as the Gary. Barlow, years ago on top then the fall and ridicule only to be given that second chance and taking it with both hands. If that ever happens to Liverpool then they may truly appreciate the depths we have been through, until then they are just the ghobshite Robbie Williams.

Just read this in rawk, they're mental. Imagine if we did another aguero situation on Sunday.

I have arrived here from the future. I wanted to post the BBC Article I read on this beautiful Monday morning May 12.

Reds March to Miracle Title Win

The dust has settled from a miraculous day of football and we're still coming to terms with the events that transpired yesterday. Liverpool Football Club are the champions of the Premier League 13/14. Steven Gerrard hoisted the trophy above his head on an day where Liverpool, a team fond of reminding us that miracles can indeed happen, reminded us again why we love this game. A tearful Brendan Rodgers was interviewed shortly after the final whistle. The Liverpool manager was quite literally lost for words, having written off his team's chances in his post-match interview after the Crystal Palace game. In the end he managed to utter one word before joining his players in celebration. "Unbelievable"

Indeed no description is more apt for what occurred in a frantic ten minutes of football.

The afternoon at Anfield started with a proud set of Liverpool supporters greeting the team coach as they have done for a number of weeks. This was originally viewed as a way supporting the players despite losing their grip on the title, rather than a defiant last stand. A similar vibe reverberated inside the ground as Liverpool fans sung proudly of their players and their manager. The atmosphere couldn't extend to the players performance as the Liverpool players looked slow and sluggish, perhaps fatigued from a long season using a small squad and feeling a morale hangover from Crystal Palace. The home fans were silenced when Newcastle's Loic Remy gave the away side the lead from a corner on the 22nd minute. However Liverpool's Luis Suarez leveled the scores from a free kick at the edge of the box just shy of Half Time.

There was a contrasting atmosphere at the Etihad. The City fans were strangely subdued from the nervy weight of expectation. The players themselves were uncharacteristically lack luster not really carving out a clear cut chance in the first half against a stubborn West Ham defense. Nerves seemed to set in for the City players in the second half as they forced balls into the box and the fans grunted and sighed at every mistimed tackle, every poorly placed pass. On the 81st minute Vincent Kompany was yellow carded for going through the back of Andy Carroll to win a header. The free kick was given forty yards out, to the right of Man City's box. Stuart Downing hovered over the ball, shaped to hit an in-swinger. He floated one in. The Etihad held its breath. Andy Carroll met the ball ten yards out with a ferocious header that beat Joe Hart at the inside of the post.

The loudest cheer came, not from the West Ham fans, but from Liverpool fans. The Liverpool defenders passed it along the back line with no real urgency when Anfield erupted. There was a collective glance from red shirt to red shirt. Brendan Rodgers signaled something to Steven Gerrard and then Steven Gerrard had a word with his players. The cheers of the Liverpool fans didn't stop, they kept the same level of noise in an atmosphere unheard at Anfield since the days of the standing Kop. Then came the onslaught. Newcastle had to endure wave after wave of attack as Liverpool went to a gear not found previously in the game. On the 85th minute Martin Skrtel put a glancing header a yard wide of the far post and on the 87th Krul made a fantastic low save from a Daniel Sturridge effort. It went into stoppage time and it looked like it just wasn't to be Liverpool's day.

Amid all the noise somehow Anfield found another level. Something had happened.

At the Etihad, City are throwing everything at West Ham. They push everyone forward for a corner then West Ham break. Kevin Nolan drives into the City half and sends a cross field ball to Andy Carroll who springs from his own half. He's onside. He's one on one. Joe Hart comes out to him and makes himself big. But Andy Carroll stays cool, he toe pokes the ball from twenty yards past Joe Hart and it smashes into the top of the net to make it 2-0.

Again Rodgers relays the information to his players. They're into the last minutes, the dying embers of the game. The Liverpool fans sing their hearts out trying to suck the ball in the net. But they can't. Somebody on the pitch has to do it. Raheem Sterling runs down the line. He sends a dangerous ball into the six yard box. Newcastle clear. It comes to Suarez. He tries to beat his man but Newcastle hoof it away. Steven Gerrard picks it up on the halfway line and drives forward. He's looking for a pass, looking for a run to float it in, but the Liverpool fans shout "shoot."

Steven Gerrard obliges

He smashes the ball into the top corner from thirty five yards. Anfield goes ballistic. Grown men are in tears. Steven Gerrard is visibly shaking with emotion but he tries to keep calm. He tells his troops to get back into shape. Liverpool reorganize. Newcastle send a ball in right from the kick off but Liverpool clear. They send another and another but Liverpool still manage. Anfield is begging for the whistle to arrive. Brendan Rodgers is giving the fourth official an earful. Martin Skrtel lumps one up the field and Luis Suarez gives chase. Newcastle are caught here. Anfield stand up off their chairs in expectancy. Luis Suarez is the coolest man in the pitch as he slots it past Krul to make it 3-1. Anfield can barely contain itself. The final whistle goes and is somehow heard beneath the wall of noise. Liverpool fans flood the pitch in pure ecstasy. Most Liverpool fans are red faced shell-shocked and in tears.

alfabianchi said:
Another classic from RAWK

"To congratulate City on winning the title is like praising Lance Armstrong for winning the Tour de France while riding a motor bike".

Heh, dry yer eyes..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=313839.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ind ... c=313839.0</a>

Read this thread. They actually think we had a partial stadium closure last night.

I'm glad how this has all turned out.

mcmanus said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I don't want to get into any wild predictions about the weekend , as the point I'm going to make remains the same whatever the outcome on Sunday.

There seem to be a number of points being raised by Liverpool fans to point to our unworthiness as Champions. From our lacklustre crowd and poor attendances to lack of players who genuinely care about the club. They are all assertions which could easily be challenged as wrong and undermined as inconsistent, but I'll leave that to others.

What I will take issue with, are the claims that we're a "plastic club" infested with newbie supporters. Whilst this may be true, to an extent, in the wider world, it certainly isn't the case, at least based on what I observe, at most games, certainly in the league. Doubtless this will be subject to some change as the club evolves over the coming years, but at its heart the club will still be followed by a group of supporters who share a common bond, which no Liverpool fan can hope to fully appreciate.

There is a rump of supporters, above the age of 40, who have actively followed the club for the last 30 odd years as it stumbled from one disaster to another. There are also younger fans who had to endure much of those difficulties, but their time of birth may have spared them to some extent. These are supporters who witnessed a once leading club, inflict wounds and mediocrity upon itself while they stood by, helpless. A group of fans who looked towards the top of English football, when City were no longer a part of it, with a mixture of regret and anguish, while their local neighbours swept all before them at a time when English football was gripped in a cycle of growth. All this against the backdrop of the teams at the top taking ever increasing measures to protect and calcify their positions, to exclude fallen giants like ourselves. And yet in spite of that these supporters carried on following the club in great numbers, wondering, in fact, if we'd even see a cup final again in our lifetimes. We managed to claw our way back to the top division and stay there, but the reality was that there was a glass ceiling in place through which we could not hope to break.

And then everything changed. By a combination of happenstance, circumstance and good fortune someone decided we were worth a punt and the outcome of that punt is there for all to see at the top of the Premier League with only a game to go.

So say all you will about the crowds and their lack of noise. It's all fair game, but know this:

Sitting there, in our stadium, with other people who I've shared this incredible journey with for the last 30 years, seeing the plans in and around the ground for greatness, watching some of the best players on the planet play for my club, planning Eurpoean aways which a decade ago were in the realms of fantasy, it does, at times feel a little unreal.

But to me, to us who've lived through that narrative, there's nothing about it that feels plastic in any way whatsoever. To have followed Manchester City for the last three decades and to end up where we currently reside feels anything but hollow.

It feels, in fact, absolutely fucking amazing.

Some **** in Singapore doesn't understand that post.
Some **** in Prestwich doesn't either!

Manchester_lalala said:
Just read this in rawk, they're mental. Imagine if we did another aguero situation on Sunday.

I have arrived here from the future. I wanted to post the BBC Article I read on this beautiful Monday morning May 12.

Reds March to Miracle Title Win

The dust has settled from a miraculous day of football and we're still coming to terms with the events that transpired yesterday. Liverpool Football Club are the champions of the Premier League 13/14. Steven Gerrard hoisted the trophy above his head on an day where Liverpool, a team fond of reminding us that miracles can indeed happen, reminded us again why we love this game. A tearful Brendan Rodgers was interviewed shortly after the final whistle. The Liverpool manager was quite literally lost for words, having written off his team's chances in his post-match interview after the Crystal Palace game. In the end he managed to utter one word before joining his players in celebration. "Unbelievable"

Indeed no description is more apt for what occurred in a frantic ten minutes of football.

The afternoon at Anfield started with a proud set of Liverpool supporters greeting the team coach as they have done for a number of weeks. This was originally viewed as a way supporting the players despite losing their grip on the title, rather than a defiant last stand. A similar vibe reverberated inside the ground as Liverpool fans sung proudly of their players and their manager. The atmosphere couldn't extend to the players performance as the Liverpool players looked slow and sluggish, perhaps fatigued from a long season using a small squad and feeling a morale hangover from Crystal Palace. The home fans were silenced when Newcastle's Loic Remy gave the away side the lead from a corner on the 22nd minute. However Liverpool's Luis Suarez leveled the scores from a free kick at the edge of the box just shy of Half Time.

There was a contrasting atmosphere at the Etihad. The City fans were strangely subdued from the nervy weight of expectation. The players themselves were uncharacteristically lack luster not really carving out a clear cut chance in the first half against a stubborn West Ham defense. Nerves seemed to set in for the City players in the second half as they forced balls into the box and the fans grunted and sighed at every mistimed tackle, every poorly placed pass. On the 81st minute Vincent Kompany was yellow carded for going through the back of Andy Carroll to win a header. The free kick was given forty yards out, to the right of Man City's box. Stuart Downing hovered over the ball, shaped to hit an in-swinger. He floated one in. The Etihad held its breath. Andy Carroll met the ball ten yards out with a ferocious header that beat Joe Hart at the inside of the post.

The loudest cheer came, not from the West Ham fans, but from Liverpool fans. The Liverpool defenders passed it along the back line with no real urgency when Anfield erupted. There was a collective glance from red shirt to red shirt. Brendan Rodgers signaled something to Steven Gerrard and then Steven Gerrard had a word with his players. The cheers of the Liverpool fans didn't stop, they kept the same level of noise in an atmosphere unheard at Anfield since the days of the standing Kop. Then came the onslaught. Newcastle had to endure wave after wave of attack as Liverpool went to a gear not found previously in the game. On the 85th minute Martin Skrtel put a glancing header a yard wide of the far post and on the 87th Krul made a fantastic low save from a Daniel Sturridge effort. It went into stoppage time and it looked like it just wasn't to be Liverpool's day.

Amid all the noise somehow Anfield found another level. Something had happened.

At the Etihad, City are throwing everything at West Ham. They push everyone forward for a corner then West Ham break. Kevin Nolan drives into the City half and sends a cross field ball to Andy Carroll who springs from his own half. He's onside. He's one on one. Joe Hart comes out to him and makes himself big. But Andy Carroll stays cool, he toe pokes the ball from twenty yards past Joe Hart and it smashes into the top of the net to make it 2-0.

Again Rodgers relays the information to his players. They're into the last minutes, the dying embers of the game. The Liverpool fans sing their hearts out trying to suck the ball in the net. But they can't. Somebody on the pitch has to do it. Raheem Sterling runs down the line. He sends a dangerous ball into the six yard box. Newcastle clear. It comes to Suarez. He tries to beat his man but Newcastle hoof it away. Steven Gerrard picks it up on the halfway line and drives forward. He's looking for a pass, looking for a run to float it in, but the Liverpool fans shout "shoot."

Steven Gerrard obliges

He smashes the ball into the top corner from thirty five yards. Anfield goes ballistic. Grown men are in tears. Steven Gerrard is visibly shaking with emotion but he tries to keep calm. He tells his troops to get back into shape. Liverpool reorganize. Newcastle send a ball in right from the kick off but Liverpool clear. They send another and another but Liverpool still manage. Anfield is begging for the whistle to arrive. Brendan Rodgers is giving the fourth official an earful. Martin Skrtel lumps one up the field and Luis Suarez gives chase. Newcastle are caught here. Anfield stand up off their chairs in expectancy. Luis Suarez is the coolest man in the pitch as he slots it past Krul to make it 3-1. Anfield can barely contain itself. The final whistle goes and is somehow heard beneath the wall of noise. Liverpool fans flood the pitch in pure ecstasy. Most Liverpool fans are red faced shell-shocked and in tears.

DAY DREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMING

Thing about those daydreams is that I'm sure we all do it, dream about those kinds of things happening as we pretend to be working. But why in God's name would you type the bloody thing up and post it for the world to see? Why would you do that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.