Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fernando Torres was very good signing for Liverpool, can’t remember if the whole of Europe was in for him, they managed to extract a lot of money out of Chelsea where he was terrible.
I would say Torres, when he signed for Liverpool, was on a par with Aguero when he signed for us. Sought after, talented, a coming force, but not perceived as the finished article, and untried in another league. It was certainly a coup for them to sign him, and what a player he was until that injury - after which he was never the same player. Not even close.

Says a lot about Sergio that he adapted his game in the way he did after injuries and the ageing process took some of his pace away from him.

Peak Sergio, which I would say was 2013/14, when fit, was an absolute joy to behold. At that point, the best footballer to ever play for this club. A complete striker. Feel so privileged to have seen a player of that quality lead the line for City.

Liverpool crying about City and not being able to afford Bellingham. The reality is they could have but they’ve made the wrong decisions which ultimately comes down to how the club is managed. City have their model of having a strong youth set up where they can sell on players who don’t make the grade and keep making money afterwards from them (here’s looking at you Sancho). We also have acquired good squad players where we can get our money back if not more like Jesus and Zinchenko, we will probably get good money for Laporte in the summer and pick up a few from Bernardo if he sadly moves on.

Liverpool have their model of money ball, scout good players get a bounce on the pitch from them and then move them on for big money, which they have done in the past with Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho. This allowed them to go spend big on the likes of Van Dijk, Nunes and Allison. Trouble is they have held onto players when they could have been extracting money out of other teams. Salah should have never been given a contract, they sold Mane instead for peanuts and he sits on the bench at Bayern which would depress me if I supported Liverpool as he was probably their most important player. Van Dijk won’t have anywhere near the resale value he had and will probably toddle off into the sunset for nothing at the end of his contract .

Point being is they could have afforded Bellingham, the mechanism they had to afford him they stopped applying as they tried to keep hold of ageing players who have been flogged to death for nearly 6 years in a system where you need to be able to run all day. It’s not City’s fault this they should be looking inward at Klopp and Fenway Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.