Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
On all this bullshit about Liverpool being absolute paupers and some plucky underdogs. Remember their rise and their main period of being successful was funded by Littlewoods pools. Being successful over the 70s and 80s enabled them to get in at the front of the line for the Tv deal being carved up that gave the likes of them, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton a bigger cut than what City got back in 1992.

They had this advantage for years, not to mention the extra cash coming in from an extended Champions League. Instead of wearing this badge of being valiant saviours of football with a shoe string budged, if I was a Liverpool supporter I’d be asking myself where has all the money gone? They have had a spending advantage over the majority of the Premier League for over 30 odd years and only have one premier league trophy to show for it. Their period of dominance happened when owners could spend what they like, how many more trophies would City have had if Mansour had those conditions for City?
'Perzackerley'! Spot on the money (forgive the pun!)

A couple of years ago I responded (see below) to Gary James's observations on this very topic in the Media Thread, when Gary contrasted the spending on both squad and infrastructure by City when comparing to the 'Istry clubs which have been siphoning moolah (mostly to shareholders back in the good ol' US of A) for donkey's years.

And all the while 'Istry clubs' supporters have swallowed the gubbins they've been fed by said clubs via the supine UK sports/football media they exercise control over:

"And to emphasise but one of the points you make Gary.

I've been saying to chums who support other clubs (most of all Liverpool and United) for years that, in an era when there's been so much money generated by the Premier League that the lowest placed English clubs could outspend probably 95% of European clubs:

'You should be asking your owners WHERE has all the money has gone? Because it certainly ain't gone into the transfer pot or on developing your stadium and facilities'

And 100% of the time answer comes there none.."

Now there is an individual desperate for attention.

I can't recall Brandon Barker ever being described as a tough opponent.
Brandon completely tore him apart in a youth game years ago. Back then he was probably interested in his defensive impact and cared. Now he isn't because he bails himself out by getting assists and creating XG chances.

Brandon completely tore him apart in a youth game years ago. Back then he was probably interested in his defensive impact and cared. Now he isn't because he bails himself out by getting assists and creating XG chances.
I’ve just had a look at Brandon's Wiki page.

His full list is Brandon Lee Colin Barker. I think it’s safe to deduce that one or both of his parents are City supporters.

;-)

Why do these pundits act like Liverpool winning stuff is some kind of Leicester City achievement.

It's completely embarrassing that people whose job is to know about football, know fuck all about football.

Wasn't it another ex-player recently saying Klopp worked on a "shoestring".

They've been one of the top ten richest clubs in the World football for most of my life - in the last Deloitte money league they were 3rd!

We always hear about how many fans they have, and how there's no way our commercial deals should be anywhere near as much as theirs, yet, still with all that commercial clout and all those fans, they still operate on a "shoestring".

It's completely embarrassing that people whose job is to know about football, know fuck all about football.

Wasn't it another ex-player recently saying Klopp worked on a "shoestring".

They've been one of the top ten richest clubs in the World football for most of my life - in the last Deloitte money league they were 3rd!

We always hear about how many fans they have, and how there's no way our commercial deals should be anywhere near as much as theirs, yet, still with all that commercial clout and all those fans, they still operate on a "shoestring".
Know nothing about football or know a lot about how to wind people up and get them phoning up to make TalkSport more money?

Know nothing about football or know a lot about how to wind people up and get them phoning up to make TalkSport more money?
I realise that with any show like that you need the devil's advocate - but I get the impression that some are just that stupid.

Bear in mind lots of footballers probably didn't think much about anything during their careers, and we've all heard the pros laughing at anyone who turns up for a punditry job with any kind of research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.