Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at all to do with trophies won either..
Football was well better.. tackling.. not infested with overseas players.. nowhere near as much diving.. no imaginary red and yellow cards held up by players. No VAR.. proper personalities.. no players being bigger than there clubs.. fans being able to relate to players on the pitch.. no prawn sandwich brigade.. proper bovril and sausage roll instead of minted lamb burgers.. fans traveling to games on the bus instead of BMW and Mercedes and proper pundits like Rodney Marsh.. Big Ron from Old Swan and Cloughie instead of a forced ex woman footballer who is basically only there to tick a box and so they meet the discrimination rules... SKY controlling and monopolising the game and dictating when you play football matches hardly any 3 o'clock kick offs..
Like I say football was well better in the day.
But technically it wasn't in fact it was bloody dreadful to watch at times, you also had the hooliganism that very nearly killed off the game, I agree about the lack of 3pm KO's

Football was well better.. tackling.. not infested with overseas players.. nowhere near as much diving.. no imaginary red and yellow cards held up by players. No VAR.. proper personalities.. no players being bigger than there clubs.. fans being able to relate to players on the pitch.. no prawn sandwich brigade.. proper bovril and sausage roll instead of minted lamb burgers.. fans traveling to games on the bus instead of BMW and Mercedes and proper pundits like Rodney Marsh.. Big Ron from Old Swan and Cloughie instead of a forced ex woman footballer who is basically only there to tick a box and so they meet the discrimination rules... SKY controlling and monopolising the game and dictating when you play football matches hardly any 3 o'clock kick offs..
To be fair, as someone who is largely of the opinion that social media and Sky TV have made the experience of football much worse - you're also talking about an era when English football hooliganism and policing were both so bad that it was unsafe to even go to football matches sometimes and resulted in the entire country being banned from European football for five years after hundreds were killed both on home soil and abroad.

But technically it wasn't in fact it was bloody dreadful to watch at times, you also had the hooliganism that very nearly killed off the game, I agree about the lack of 3pm KO's

I remember rewatching a derby from around 1993 on Sky, think it was the one we lost when Keane scored at the Platt Lane End. The standard of football was awful, everything punted long and playing the percentages. Some of the tackles looked like full on assaults.

We can berate some of the foreign influences on the game that have crept in over time but it has certainly lifted the technical side of what we see on a pitch.

Is watching John Fashanu at Plough Lane getting on the end of a punt up the pitch whilst jumping into his marker with an elbow and nearly assaulting him. In a dilapidated probably dangerous stadium whilst played on a cabbage patch of a pitch that romantic?

Bloody hell, there is so much to pick apart in that post so I won’t bother with everything.

You may have enjoyed the match going experience in the 80s but a lot of people probably didn’t - women, children, ethnic minorities, old folk for a start.

And as for “infested with overseas players” - are you Suella Braverman? Priti Patel? Nigel Farage perhaps? Apart from a fucking weird choice of language, the standard of football in England today is vastly superior to that of the 80s, largely due to those bloody foreigners. It isn’t perfect and I personally would prefer more contact than is generally allowed today but have you watched matches back from the 70s and 80s where skilful players got kicked all over the park?

Bloody hell, there is so much to pick apart in that post so I won’t bother with everything.

You may have enjoyed the match going experience in the 80s but a lot of people probably didn’t - women, children, ethnic minorities, old folk for a start.

And as for “infested with overseas players” - are you Suella Braverman? Priti Patel? Nigel Farage perhaps? Apart from a fucking weird choice of language, the standard of football in England today is vastly superior to that of the 80s, largely due to those bloody foreigners. It isn’t perfect and I personally would prefer more contact than is generally allowed today but have you watched matches back from the 70s and 80s where skilful players got kicked all over the park?
Liverpool long for a time when the pass back rule wasn’t in play.

Is watching John Fashanu at Plough Lane getting on the end of a punt up the pitch whilst jumping into his marker with an elbow and nearly assaulting him. In a dilapidated probably dangerous stadium whilst played on a cabbage patch of a pitch that romantic?
In my view its the same now as it was then...in the sense that, we all take something different out of a game/experience. One of my fondest memories at a match was watching Terry Hurlock & Peter Reid scrapping all afternoon when you lot played at The Den. I was stewarding that day on the half way line and so had a excellent view...with occasional looks at the crowd in the terracing to fulfil why I was meant to be there.
Obviously that scrap was old school but did provide as much pleasure/appreciation as watching Szoboszlai today or you lot dismantling the Rags the other day.

And then without the Sky money would we have some of the modern grounds and facilities we have today? Would we have some of the worlds best players gracing our pitches...and getting to see them in the flesh rather than having to watch Football Italia with James Richardson.

A lot of people seem to miss the point about why the old game was better than this now sanitised form.. let’s look at the Fash the bash point.. yeah ofcorse he was no frills.. he was big awkward and no nonesense but he used the tools he had.. he was different to Rush or Lineker but the game gave you that difference unlike now where every player has to be technical or fast depending on how close to the blueprint they are tells you how good they are.. very boring..
Look at the point about Peter Reid and Terry Hurloch.. back in the they were the complete opposite to your Hoddles and Molby of this world.. you would walk to the match and be wondering who would win the battle today., the good of Hoddle or the destroyer of Hurloch.. it was never a given and whoever won the battle more or less effected the outcome of the match.. you don’t get that now you have the game weighted 94 per cent in Hoddles favour by stopping the tackling that’s never been about what football was about.
A person made the point that people loved a good good hard tackle.. even a punch up like Franny Lee.. the atmosphere was at time over the top however that made it better and you enjoyed a win more..
nobody likes to see people get hurt in sport.. however. It’s part and parcel and the risk and danger adds to the excitement.. you gonna stop the Grand Prix cars not going over 30mph.. breed the horses so if they fall on jockeys they won’t get hurt.. make boxing gloves made of soft sponge so you can’t knock someone out.. we’re you want it to end..
Some good points tho about the game then and now..

To be fair, as someone who is largely of the opinion that social media and Sky TV have made the experience of football much worse - you're also talking about an era when English football hooliganism and policing were both so bad that it was unsafe to even go to football matches sometimes and resulted in the entire country being banned from European football for five years after hundreds were killed both on home soil and abroad.

Who did that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.