Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first City game was 86, and I've witnessed some truly shocking games over the years, some of which wouldn't look out of place in a local park on a Sunday morning (especially the pitches).

Across the board the levels of skill that most players possess are a million miles away from the skills most players from the 80's. Yes there were skilful players in the 80's, but most were bang average at best. British players mainly focused on strength and fitness, and anyone with flair or skill could be fully expect to be kicked out of the game by half time.
100% this

My first City game was 86, and I've witnessed some truly shocking games over the years, some of which wouldn't look out of place in a local park on a Sunday morning (especially the pitches).

Across the board the levels of skill that most players possess are a million miles away from the skills most players from the 80's. Yes there were skilful players in the 80's, but most were bang average at best. British players mainly focused on strength and fitness, and anyone with flair or skill could be fully expect to be kicked out of the game by half time.
The problem was the pitches. When I first started watching they were all mud heaps (they had improved a bit by the 80s) and high ball skills were just not possible, except maybe on the wing. One thing we have to thank the premier league for is the insistence on better pitches and the money to make them.
Can you imagine trying to play Pep’s passing game on a mud heap? Bernado would be up to his neck in it.

The problem was the pitches. When I first started watching they were all mud heaps (they had improved a bit by the 80s) and high ball skills were just not possible, except maybe on the wing. One thing we have to thank the premier league for is the insistence on better pitches and the money to make them.
Can you imagine trying to play Pep’s passing game on a mud heap? Bernado would be up to his neck in it.
Our resident (ex) Liverpool fan will be along in a minute to tell us that the pitches were in fact better in the 80s

You're seriously off message here pal. Don't you know that Hysel was entirely down to Chelsea fans and the dippers were innocent victims?
All about opinions my friend.. some might say that but I can only talk from my experience of being there.. don’t remember seeing any Chelsea fans unless ofcorse they were disguised and wearing Liverpool gear but there was the usual load of cockney reds mixed in with locals.

Colin Bell did pretty well on it !

No foreigners?

Remind me when Molby, Johnston and Grobelaar played for Liverpool.
I don’t think many people were that bothered with a foreign player players playing in the League however for every good player that came to the league.. there were 15 or 20 who were poor or very average at best.. some of these also blocked promising English players from developing.

Yes but football is not all about flair and skill is it.. that is only part of the game.. the game is based on mixes of all different strength's and weakness.. football is nothing without tackling.. punch ups.. bad tackles and the thing which links it all and is now sadly lacking from the game... good old passion... like I say on the pitch and in the stands it’s sanitised.. swearing will soon be banned..

Our resident (ex) Liverpool fan will be along in a minute to tell us that the pitches were in fact better in the 80s
Pitches back in the day were what we used to call a leveller.. you all telling me that’s not a good thing when going to watch a game.
Dear me I can’t believe some of these SKY sports brigades opinions about the old game.. Derby’s Baseball Ground pitch never had a blade of grass on it haha..

Pitches back in the day were what we used to call a leveller.. you all telling me that’s not a good thing when going to watch a game.
Dear me I can’t believe some of these SKY sports brigades opinions about the old game.. Derby’s Baseball Ground pitch never had a blade of grass on it haha..
I think you’re joking but it’s hard to tell in amongst some of your other bizarre opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.