Long distance fans

As City were one of the best teams in the world in 1970, I would class you in the same bracket as any United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn or Chelsea fan there. All have fans all over the country from periods when they were good.

So 7 year olds are supposed to be immune to media influence and sufficiently discerning as to eschew the temptation to follow high profile teams are they? You need a reality check

Surely the biggest divide is generational, rather than geographical.

There are City fans in their late-teens who've known nothing but relative (and increasing) success during their tenure as supporters.

Their attitude and perspective simply cannot be the same as City fans twice their age, as their overall experience of following the club is significant different.

As City were one of the best teams in the world in 1970, I would class you in the same bracket as any United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn or Chelsea fan there. All have fans all over the country from periods when they were good.
That's me again. Two out of two. Have I reached the point where I should feel ashamed or embarrassed yet?

Surely the biggest divide is generational, rather than geographical.

There are City fans in their late-teens who've known nothing but relative (and increasing) success during their tenure as supporters.

Their attitude and perspective simply cannot be the same as City fans twice their age, as their experience of following the club is significant different.

Indeed. It will come as no surprise to you that my offspring are always considerably more optimistic about our chances in any given game than me, albeit that I’m a lost cause anyway!

God some fans are conceited and unjustifiably entitled in my view.

Most of the people claiming they belong more than others in most cases weren't born or actually grew up in east Manchester themselves but in the towns around it(myself included) who all have local football clubs of their own, so why aren't they supporting those if they practice what they preach?

Also this talk of others shunning their "true roots and the area you are from" is wholly misguided in my view(and more pertinent to international football which most shun as unimportant ironically), professional sport is a source entertainment at the end of the day, the days where these sportsmen(should they only play for the club that represents the area they were born too?), the owners, the board and the club staff as a whole truly represented the area they are from are long gone(and by long gone I mean arguably nobody alive today can claim it was that way in their lifetime). Everyone knows this and accepts it so why should the fan aspect be any different? Entitlement?

Last edited:
So 7 year olds are supposed to be immune to media influence and sufficiently discerning as to eschew the temptation to follow high profile teams are they? You need a reality check

I said all success period followers are the same whatever club.

That's me again. Two out of two. Have I reached the point where I should feel ashamed or embarrassed yet?

Nothing makes one so vain as being told that one is a sinner.

God some fans are conceited and unjustifiably entitled in my view.

Most of the people claiming they belong more than others in most cases weren't born or actually grew up in east Manchester themselves but in the towns around it who all have local football clubs of their own, so why aren't they supporting those if they practice what they preach?

Also this talk of others shunning their "true roots and the area you are from" is wholly misguided in my view(and more pertinent to international football which most shun as unimportant ironically), professional sport is a source entertainment at the end of the day, the days where these sportsmen(should they only play for the club that represents the area they were born too?), the owners, the board and the club staff as a whole truly represented the area they are from are long gone(and by long gone I mean arguably nobody alive today can claim it was that way in their lifetime). Everyone knows this and accepts it so why should the fan aspect be any different? Entitlement?

The players are professionals and have moved fro work due to this for 100+ years, but you don't get football and sound like a united fan 20 years ago, it isn't entertainment like going to the cinema, or a brand choice like coke or pepsi.

I bet the owner is not a REAL fan then. He is not a regular match-goer and, to my understanding, he doesn’t live in Manchester.
Worse than a glory hunter mate, he actually paid for all the glory, we've had recently.

Some f**king 'special' people in this thread, the "bigger blue that was born in the lesser known Platt Lane hospital", its an attitude that has always done my head in.

Many of my mates are from south of watford gap services, I met them all when I moved south, that's after moving north, and east, for work, and they have done more city miles than the majority of those from within 2 miles of Maine Rd or Hyde Rd will ever do, and they've spent a shit load more money doing it too.

City have a long history of fans from further / far away / abroad, particularly Scandinavia, who have attended regularly and done so for decades, fair play to them all, true blues, more true than some of the locals who can't even be arsed to turn up for mid week night games.

The players are professionals and have moved fro work due to this for 100+ years, but you don't get football and sound like a united fan 20 years ago, it isn't entertainment like going to the cinema, or a brand choice like coke or pepsi.
Shite argument mate, all you did was strengthen an argument I made... that nobody alive today could claim it was different when they were a lad... so 100+ years was necessary to add why? Also if you think you know more about football than me as it seems you're claiming then who's been writing most of your posts for you? ;) Where did you "grow up" btw? In east Manchester or in a town around it? Not that it matters but it would sort of prove my point if it's as I suspect. I wont lie you were one the people who I was thinking of when I used the words conceited and entitled... you also have a huge amount of negativity in the way you choose to "support" this club and it's players from what I can see... I think if anyone doesn't get it, it's you.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.