Losing youth players

Can't blame the club if a young player wants out. All you can do is try your best to keep them.

What do you suggest we do?

We can always give our youth higher wages than Trent Arnold and Andy Robertson like the rags have with Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood?

We aren't a club that will bend over backwards for teenagers who haven't earnt their stripes! If a kid is good enough, he will play. It's as simple as that. Eric Garcia played most of the games since the restart so you can hardly blame a lack of playing time as to why he wants away. Some players are just homesick, him being one of those.

Other than Sancho, I'm struggling to think of a youth player we've lost that has gone on to be a superstar. I think losing him has set up a narrative that we lost our top youth or that they have to leave to be a success. Getting Foden into the starting 11 and playing more youth in cup games will start to swing that narrative back in our favour.

I believe it goes back to what Pep himself has talked about, it takes time to develop an academy culture to count on. Kids in the Manchester area should dream about being selected to the City academy and eventually integrating into the 1st team. Some will move on as is the case at every academy and some will stay to fight for the shirt - that's often the goal. Else, you look at it strictly from a business perspective of developing young talents with all at your disposal to eventually sell on the market

I see little wrong with what has taken place in the last decade where the club has remodeled their sporting project. The light at the end of the tunnel is there should the path continue. Blues should be optimistic rather than lamenting the player here or there that leaves - thus far, they have all been particular exceptions

As Foden cements his role/importance in this team he'll serve as an example for kids in the area to aspire to. Similarly United have Rashford

It should be obvious but fans shouldn't view Garcia's desire to return as a failure of Pep, City or the academy. Txiki et al rolled the dice by recruiting a blue chip youth player from Barca to work under & learn from Pep. He's done that and he'll earn City some profit as well

Last edited:
Do they though?
Chelsea have kept all their big talents e.g. Mount, Tomori, James, Abraham and so on. Can't think of any youngsters they have sold for big fees.

Liverpool have got decent fees for Solanke and Ibe but I can't think of anyone else.

We sold Sancho for a 'low' fee but have secured potentially another 15m in the clauses, Iheanacho for 25m, Brahim for 15m, Gunn for 10m, Unal for 12m, Maffeo for 8m and Suarez for about 5m with clauses i think. That is a good return on players that apart from Ihenacho have barely been involved in the first team.

Also sold Rabbi Matondo for £11m recently, Denayer for £9m as well.

These are excellent fees for marginal players.

I see a lot of posters here think the academy will be a constant source of first team players. The chances of that are small. We should be very happy if we have 1-2 starters and some bench players also from the academy. Maybe we’ll have a golden generation of youngsters like Barca but it’s rare.

There is something we can improve on though and that is giving more time to youngsters in the first team in a lower pressure environment I.E dead rubbers, winning 3/4/5 nil. Even as rotation. Giving game time to marginal players, increasing their value then moving them on. Looks like we’re doing it now with Garcia who’s value has really gone up after a string of starts, even though our original intention was to keep him, those starts mean millions.

Other than Sancho, I'm struggling to think of a youth player we've lost that has gone on to be a superstar. I think losing him has set up a narrative that we lost our top youth or that they have to leave to be a success. Getting Foden into the starting 11 and playing more youth in cup games will start to swing that narrative back in our favour.
what about the guy who went on to win two league titles with 2 different clubs ? KANTE

Also sold Rabbi Matondo for £11m recently, Denayer for £9m as well.

These are excellent fees for marginal players.

I see a lot of posters here think the academy will be a constant source of first team players. The chances of that are small. We should be very happy if we have 1-2 starters and some bench players also from the academy. Maybe we’ll have a golden generation of youngsters like Barca but it’s rare.

There is something we can improve on though and that is giving more time to youngsters in the first team in a lower pressure environment I.E dead rubbers, winning 3/4/5 nil. Even as rotation. Giving game time to marginal players, increasing their value then moving them on. Looks like we’re doing it now with Garcia who’s value has really gone up after a string of starts, even though our original intention was to keep him, those starts mean millions.

I do think some teams perhaps give more a of a chance to their youth team players than we do. I get the impression that we are less patient with them, and unless they instantly show promise they just aren't gonna make it.

Txixi -

7c9.gif

I think Trippier, Sturridge are examples of players have gone on to have decent careers at other clubs. Brooks, Schmeichael could be considered other examples.

Losing a couple I do not think is the problem but when so few have come through that is more of the issue. Im struggling to think of any youth players over the past 10 years who have made any real impact over a sustained period on the squad. As you say hopefully Foden is the start of a swing in the other direction

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.