Lowest league attendance at Maine Road

law74

I recall (Just about) buying a fanzine at the Southampton game at Maine Road (last game at the great venue), that had a list of attendance records, large and small, but I can't find it now.
Can some of the historians confirm what it was and the two clubs involved?
Cheers
It was also mentioned that the rags highest league, league cup, FA Cup and European attendances were all at Maine Road (not certain if still true)

It was also mentioned that the rags highest league, league cup, FA Cup and European attendances were all at Maine Road (not certain if still true)
Correct for home League, European and FA Cup games but fairly certain it's not for the League Cup as it didn't start until 60/61 season and they were back at the swamp by then. They did play a few European ties at Maine Rd in the 50s because we had floodlights, record attendance was vs Borussia Dortmund, over 75,000.
It still raises a laugh that the highest attendance at the swamp was for a match between Wolves and Grimsby.

I’m sure the lowest recorded at the swamp was 13, thirteen

Have a distant memory of reading about that. Think it was a Stockport game. Can’t remember the ins and outs. Might have been a double header and they counted the crowd twice.

Have a distant memory of reading about that. Think it was a Stockport game. Can’t remember the ins and outs. Might have been a double header and they counted the crowd twice.
I agree that it was a double header (iirc) and the attendance of 13 was those that only paid in after the first game ended (or something like that)

Just as an aside I only found out a couple of weeks ago whilst watching a travelogue (can’t remember which one) that Maine Road is essentially named after Maine State in the USA.

In the mid 1850’s the Temperance Society in the US state brought in the “Maine Law” to reduce and ban the sale and consumption of alcohol.

When City were moving to our new ground in 1923 it was proposed to build the new Stadium on Dog Kennel Lane, some of which the Temperance Society in Manchester owned land on. They agreed to the proposal with the proviso we would rename the street and call the ground Maine Road after the state of Maine honouring their Temperance predecessors.

So, this thread could have been:

“Lowest League attendance at Dog Kennel Lane”. Would have been quite appropriate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.