Lowest league attendance at Maine Road

3,007 v Mansfield in the Auto Windshield Cup.
I was invited into a box in Platt.Lane and there was 7 of us.
A steward came in half way through the game.to do a head count. When it came.up as 3,007, we laughed, saying that we were the 7
When one of my rag mates is feeling a little bit low, which is quite often these days, he always brings that game up!

I was at the Swindon match where Mike Summerbee scored. The 8,015 that attended wasn’t much lower than the match against Middlesbrough the previous season (8,053).

The Middlesbrough match was played on a Tuesday night as opposed to a Saturday.

Gates of less than 10,000 were not unknown at Maine Road before the arrival of Mercer. The final match of the 1964-65 season against Charlton attracted only 8,409.

Many will not appreciate how variable crowds were back then when the number of season tickets sold was very low. Bad weather and other issues could affect attendances.

I was at the Swindon match where Mike Summerbee scored. The 8,015 that attended wasn’t much lower than the match against Middlesbrough the previous season (8,053).

Gates of less than 10,000 were not unknown at Maine Road before the arrival of Mercer. The final match of the 1964-65 season against Charlton attracted only 8,409.

Many will not appreciate how variable crowds were back then when the number of season tickets sold was very low. Bad weather and other issues could affect attendances.
1964-65 was our lowest ever average attendance at Maine Road,and by some distance too. 14'753 which is an anomaly when you look at the history from 1923 right up to 2003. We got 18201 the season before which was the second lowest average at Maine Road. Even in the dark days of the 80s,when football attendances were on their arse(mainly due to Hooliganism) we still got more(87-88 was 19'472) You had to go back to season 88-89 at Hyde Road when we averaged 9000 to get a lower average attendance,but football was in its infancy then and that was pretty much standard back then. Going back to the early 60s to Mercer n Mal taking over. The club was in the doldrums and there was a famous quote from our then manager about there being a dirth of goals. Was it Les Mcdowall?

According to the European Football Database

You are right the lowest league attendance at Maine Rd was 8,015.

I also remember articles in the programme about it after we played Leeds in front of 4,023 in the Full Members Cup in 1985/86.

Why are we talking about lowest attendances, when we had the best average attendance in England in

1914/15
1927/28 (2nd division)
1928/29

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.