Lowest league attendance at Maine Road

Lowest league attendance I've seen at Maine Road was 16022 Against Brighton in 1988, we were in division 2 that season. Was eerily empty in the Kippax that day. Around that era both Chelsea and Newcastle had lower crowds than us so WWTWTWS?
I think we had 2 below that around 87-88 Millwall and Reading, 15000+. Football attendances were on their arse back then, but we were still one of the best supported clubs.

I think we had 2 below that around 87-88 Millwall and Reading, 15000+. Football attendances were on their arse back then, but we were still one of the best supported clubs.
I was just talking about this last night.

My first Adult Season Ticket was in 81-82 and it cost £20 for the Kippax
A matchday ticket was £1.20 which was roughly twice the price of a pint of bitter, and yet by the mid-late 80s we were averaging less than 20,000. Even the rags were down to 36,000 despite still having a decent team.

Nowadays it's never been so expensive and yet we're experiencing record attendances. Meanwhile we sell 9,000 tickets for a Friday Night FA Cup game at Tottenham despite numerous complaints about the prices and the kick-off time.

Going back to our lowest league gate 8,015 v Swindon 16th January 1965 I remember sitting down on the Kippax steps and watching the game just a couple of month's before my 13th birthday,it was a 63,000 capacity stadium back then.Never missed home games and did a few away.

I’ve just done a bit of googling and it was the 1st March 1972, against WBA, 2-1 City, crowd was 26k against the normal crowd of 37k that season.
We were in our 5th year at a Preston Sec Mod school but managed to skive off at dinner time to make the 2 afternoon games. Even got marked present as our form teacher was a Manc blue who 'did the deed' in return for a match programme.

I reckon it was Coventry? Think there was a bomb scare and the ref picked up the ball and shook it next to his ear - hope I haven't made this up?
Definitely Coventry and I’m sure it was a League Cup game.

Definitely Coventry and I’m sure it was a League Cup game.
The game I first referenced was v WBA ion the 1st March 1972, attached is the programme front cover, it’s a bit distorted but that was the Wednesday afternoon game I went to. The crowd was down by over 10k on our usual gate.

Attachments

• IMG_6366.png
    IMG_6366.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 11

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.