Lowest league attendance at Maine Road

Summerbee?
No, I think we signed him at the start of the following season '65/66.
Mind you I was more excited at the signing of Ralph Brand from Rangers at the time!
Cheers, just thought Id read somewhere that Joe signed him on the back of that game65/66 was my first real season as a City fan. My dad was a blue but I wasn’t really aware until then, aged 6

Cheers, just thought Id read somewhere that Joe signed him on the back of that game65/66 was my first real season as a City fan. My dad was a blue but I wasn’t really aware until then, aged 6
George Poyser was manager for the Swindon match. I think that George's fate was already sealed before the match. City lost an FA Cup replay at Shrewsbury by 1-3, the Wednesday before.

For those interested in the power cut stuff mentioned in this thread have a read of this:

Last edited:
Detailed research on lots of primary sources; comparisons with other clubs; discussions with club statisticians, archivists and historians around the country; newspapers and much more. It’s a long, hard slog getting City’s (and other clubs) history correct and there are still many myths out there. For me the important thing has always been to get to primary sources and do the physical research on contemporary stuff myself. It’s laborious, difficult, time consuming, costly and more but totally worth it when a gem is uncovered.

Some clubs still have primary material like specific turnstile counting ledgers like this one from the 1950s. Some clubs have this stuff going back to the beginning. This ledger, as an example, shows the attendance for a public practice match. That won’t appear anywhere else, so it’s vital to get to these type of sources.

Sadly, I don’t have images of every ledger, page or record I’ve researched.

I hope this helps explain. That ‘Footo Facts’ booklet that you originally posted wasn’t researched to this level unfortunately and was put together as part of a series on multiple clubs. Booklets like that are quite often a commercial enterprise where Material is lifted from other sources without rigorous checking.
Hi Gary,

Thank you for replying. It's always fascinsting to find out where such detailed information comes from. Very often the original references are lost, and you never know whether what you read is true and factual.

Thank you for the pointer!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.