Lu Martin: Allegedly Guardiola sees City as "small club"

PEP GUARDIOLA believes Manchester City are a small club in comparison to their Premier League rivals, according to Spanish journalist Lu Martin.

Guardiola's stock has fallen at Manchester City with a string of erratic performances in recent weeks.

They started the season in fine form - winning their first 10 games - but now sit seven points behind table toppers Chelsea.

Guardiola gave a series of tetchy interviews after their 2-1 win over Burnley yesterday, and stunned the world by admitting he is considering retirement.

"I am arriving at the end of my coaching career, of this I am sure," he told NBC.

Martin wrote a book working alongside Guardiola at Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

And the Spanish journalist has sensationally claimed that the Manchester City boss views his current club as on the same sort of level as La Liga side Villarreal.

"At the moment his challenge is Manchester City, who are a team like Villarreal in La Liga, for example, a team which is not one of the top sides," Martin told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser.

"I am not giving my opinion, I am telling you what Guardiola thinks, they are like a second-tier team in the Premier League.

"It is 30 years since Man City have won at Liverpool, for example. He sees it as a personal challenge, to compete against the biggest teams.

"In Spain and in Germany he was competing with a big team -- but in England the big teams are Chelsea, Manchester United, other teams. He has a team which is powerful but not the most powerful."

Martin also believes that the Spanish coach will opt for a job at a national side when he leaves the Etihad Stadium in 2019.

"His comments, that his spell as a coach was coming to an end, was about clubs," the journalist added.

"He would still have national team coach [as a future role], which is what I believe will be his next step. Where he wants to show himself, where he can look for a challenge, and he will take that on."

Lu Martín (journo) to Cadena SER: "This is not my opinion - Pep thinks City are a second-tier team in the Premier League, like Villarreal."
Lu Martín (journo) to Cadena SER: "Guardiola sees it as a personal challenge to compete against the (historically) biggest teams."

Lu Martín (journo) to Cadena SER: "This is not my opinion - Pep thinks City are a second-tier team in the Premier League, like Villarreal."
Lu Martín (journo) to Cadena SER: "Guardiola sees it as a personal challenge to compete against the (historically) biggest teams."

mmmmmmmmmmm,this will cause some debate,fucking Villareal ??? Oh no,this will cause meltdown

Best way to meet the challenge is to sign better players than your rivals, or their best players in the position we need to strengthen. We've more cash than them so let's try it. No more mincing around in fucking Portugal, buy who is proven in our league or Spain or Germany. Fucking crush the Chelsea and rag bastards.

Best way to meet the challenge is to sign better players than your rivals, or their best players in the position we need to strengthen. We've more cash than them so let's try it. No more mincing around in fucking Portugal, buy who is proven in our league or Spain or Germany. Fucking crush the Chelsea and rag bastards.
Have you completely missed the fact that we've been doing exactly that? Otamendi and Bravo were proven in Spain. De Bruyne, Gundogan and Sané had proven themselves in Germany (Sané to a lesser extent due to his age).

Let's believe a journo eh

Have you completely missed the fact that we've been doing exactly that? Otamendi and Bravo were proven in Spain. De Bruyne, Gundogan and Sané had proven themselves in Germany (Sané to a lesser extent due to his age).
Kante was a pretty obvious signing for most clubs but it seems like Chelsea were the only ones to go in for him.

Kante was a pretty obvious signing for most clubs but it seems like Chelsea were the only ones to go in for him.

Kante was only an obvious signing for clubs not looking to play possession football. His passing is below average and so is his touch and ball retention. It's just not his game, great player though he is.

That ruled out us, arsenal, Chelsea, PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

He's not big or physical enough for Mourinho who likes all his defenders over 6ft.

Chelsea were the obvious choice when you consider Contes preferred style of play.

We can't go for every player!! We signed Gundogan and clearly wanted Pogba. We also wanted Kroos, we wanted Dahoud, we wanted Weigl... incidentally all are players proven in the leagues that the poster requested that we focus on. We identified different targets, with different characteristics to Kante, but for various reasons couldn't make them happen. That's the way transfer windows play out sometimes. We've fucked up in the transfer market, particularly with regards to full backs (or the lack of), but I strongly disagree with the suggestion that we have not been looking at proven players from the top leagues. We've signed several, but key ones haven't worked out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.