Lu Martin: Allegedly Guardiola sees City as "small club"

There is nothing wrong with what he said and it just needs to be dismissed now, it is not even worth debatng because any City fan with a shred of common sense would have actually read it for what is was meant, instead of looking at it as a negative comment which some probably have because they are on this massive trip thinking everything published, written or said is somehow slandering or taking the mickey out of the club.

You actually pay attention to what has been said and it relates to our history being not as big as liverpool or united. This does not say we are a little club or irrelevant, what it means is that if you put our club next to those 2 we have not had the exposure in europe as those 2 - which is true. We were never qualifying for european competition like they were therefore we do not have the same exposure that they have had via TV showing the games.

This all relates to when the premiership was born and the champions league first came about all back in the early 90's.

I didn't realise he'd donated his wealth to City, that's very generous.

The actual reality is that City are now self sustaining, but most blues know that.

I assume he still helps out as and when doesn't he? Same as Abramovich does for Chelsea. Otherwise why have a wealthy owner?

The only time that matter's is now. Let's get a positive reaction from this, from the player's and the fan's to prove, we have the drive to be the best club in England and Europe.

I assume he still helps out as and when doesn't he? Same as Abramovich does for Chelsea. Otherwise why have a wealthy owner?
59597129.jpg

I'm quite riled about a comment in the media. Apparently it's come from Pep's mouth.

'He see's City as a second rate club in England, similar to Villareal in Spain'.

We are in no way comparable to Villareal. We never have been and never will be, I can't fathom the justification behind it. Last season they averaged just over 17,000 fans a game. We got over 35,000 MORE than that. We come from a big industrial City (which Villareal is not - it's a small fishing port) which we share with the most successful club in England. We've always been a cup side and have won numerous trophies (even before our late resurgence) whereas they have never won anything. I genuinely can't understand that comparison at all.

Now if you want to discuss how big a club is, there are only two things you need to look at. Firstly I'd argue trophies. In the entire history of English football we're 8th (out of hundreds). If you look at the most successful teams over the last decade (which is more relevant to how big a club currently is) we're third - ahead of the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Villa.

Now the next thing, and most importantly (IMO) is attendances. Our average attendance last season was higher than the following clubs: Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool, Inter Milan, PSG, Athletico Madrid, Benfica, Feyernord, AJAX, Newcastle, Monchengladbach, Hamburg, Juventus and AC Milan. We're the 8th best supported club in Europe. We hold the highest attendance away from Wembley in England and have done so for 80+ years. When we were in division three we averaged 28,261 fans. That was more then the following clubs (who played in the top division): Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham, Blackburn Rovers, Nottingham Forrest and Southampton. You could argue the number of travelling fans held us back from averaging over 30,000 fans that year too.

We are a big club. The only clubs in England that can argue to be much bigger than us are Arsenal/Liverpool/Rags. That's the be all and end all. I can understand that we're not as big as Barca or Bayern, but don't ridicule us and put us in the same bracket as a club that can't average more than 20,000.

100 percent agree, great post.

Not sure exactly what pep has or has't said. Whether its his words or his agents or just hangers on talking bullshit. But I really think he should say something about the club at his next press conference as it would get the fans behind him and help improve the atmosphere no end.

I am and have always been proud of our club. In the shit times and now the good.
As other posters have said, We have a proud history already which I wouldnt trade for all of Bayerns and Barcas european trophies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.