Lu Martin: Allegedly Guardiola sees City as "small club"

I give a damn because its our manager who is quoted as saying it. I am not too bothered about what other fans or journalists think or write. But you would like to think that the manager of your football club had some affinity and knowledge of its traditions and history.

So far this week he has been reported to have slagged off the fans and said we dont have any history or words to that effect. Which is probably just made up bollocks and mis-quotes. I just think it would be good for the club and pep to clear it all up. Fight back against the negative publicity and get everyone behind the team. All it takes is for him to say something at the press conference or put something on the website or even the men. If anyone still reads that.

He's giving out all the wrong signals at the moment.

Agreed, its time for Pep to shut up, and do his job. His whole demeanor in the last few weeks worries me, I hope he is not looking for a way out.

Hard to disagree. After 2012 Mancini warned against stagnation and it fell on deaf ears, although FFP didn't help. 12 months later he was out of a job and here we are. I back Pep though but I get the whole "you're so lucky to have me" slant
you could turn this around and say some City fans seem to have this attitude - 'you're so lucky to have us - you best win every
game, scoring shedloads of goals, never making defensive mistakes, playing beautiful football...before we are willing so show an
ounce of appreciation"

I think too much is being made of this and that press conference the other day to be honest. It's one thing United fans getting all giddy about it but ours should stop panicking.

Whichever way you look at it, there are no direct quotes from Pep regarding this Villarreal business and if he did say anything then it looks like it was years ago. In any case, he's not daft and he surely knows that we're a bigger club in terms of fanbase and trophies won. However, Villarreal do have some quite impressive European and domestic pedigree over the last decade - they got to within a whisker of the CL final back in 2006, and somewhat remarkably considering the size of club they are, finished 2nd in La Liga in 2008, a full 10 points ahead of Barceloma. If Pep ever said anything then I think he was only alluding to these on field events and to be fair we've under achieved in the CL over the past 5 seasons whereas Villarreal got to a semi a lot sooner than we did.

As for the press conference the other day, yeah it was a bit odd but this is nothing new to him and he often gave these types of interviews in his previous jobs too - he doesn't particularly like the media work and would much sooner be out on the training ground with his players.

I'm getting completely pissed off with all this now.
Firstly, somebody needs to control Pep if that's what the people close to him are coming out with as it's ignorant and full of untruths. It states Liverpool have more spending power than us FFS.
As to our stature in the English game, I really think there's a generation of blues who are overly influenced by reds slagging off City in the pub, playground or internet forums about empty seats and being that much used phrase 'Massive'.

Let's have a look at the evidence.

We've got a very respectable trophy haul although I admit our on field activity was fucking farcical at times, especially dropping to the third tier.
Regrdless, before the new owners, two championships, four FA cups, two league cups and a European trophy were not the hallmark of a small club.
Most sides would kill for that history. We’ve gone on and added to it significantly with the new investment and are one of the big boys now and can financially stand on our own two feet regardless of what some red fucking numpty tells you.

As fans of certain clubs love talking about history, let's delve a little further about our crowds.
We were the most supported club in the late 20's and bar a couple of years, one of the top three or four supported clubs in the 30's.
We were in the top three/four supported clubs in the land between 75-83 and had excellent support in lower tiers in our next period outside the top flight in the late 90's.
Everyone rightly mentions the third division average but what about the 2000 & 2002 averages in the second tier which were the 11th highest in the country.
Once we moved to the new ground, we've only had an average under 40,000 ONCE and that was 39,997!!
What would Leeds, Everton, Villa, Chelsea do for our numbers?
Let's see how many come back to the Olympic stadium next year with West Ham or if Spurs really are as well supported as they say when they redevelop WHL.
Truth is, only the three big boys are significantly ahead of us support wise.

If we're a small club, that leaves very few big clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.