Luca Barrington

If you read the Guardian article the chosen players do seem to be fairly low key:

Arsenal – Reuell Walters
Aston Villa – Ajani Burchall
Brentford – Fin Stevens
Brighton & Hove Albion – Jack Hinshelwood
Burnley – Wiktor Gromek
Chelsea – Zain Silcott-Duberry
Crystal Palace – Kayden Rodney
Everton – Jenson Metcalfe
Leeds United – Cian Coleman
Leicester City – Chris Popov
Liverpool – Kaide Gordon
Manchester City – Luca Barrington
Manchester United – Ethan Ennis
Newcastle United – Ben Parkinson
Norwich City – Osman Foyo
Southampton – Kamari Doyle
Tottenham Hotspur – Jamie Donley
Watford – Adrian Blake
West Ham United – Kaelan Casey
Wolverhampton Wanderers – Owen Farmer

Ethan Ennis is the only one I have heard of and that is mainly because he left Liverpool to join Man United which made a bit of noise.

The article mentions four players who featured in these lists (started in 2014) who have gone on to establish themselves at the top level (Trent Alexander-Arnold, Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho) so being featured is no guarantee of success.

I hope Luca will do well - we should really be encouraging him than questioning his selection for the list.

If you go to the link below you can see a list of "Next Generation" articles

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/next-generation

The older articles are updated annually with the player's progress. I think that it is an interesting series and much better than the normal tripe published by The Guardian.

Good point, looking back through the names in previous years some are still at their names club even at the age of 22. Others are still playing at a decent level at clubs like Bristol rovers. I suspect most Man City scholars go on to have a career in the pro game, and I should think most on the guardians list will too

Good point, looking back through the names in previous years some are still at their names club even at the age of 22. Others are still playing at a decent level at clubs like Bristol rovers. I suspect most Man City scholars go on to have a career in the pro game, and I should think most on the guardians list will too
It’s the biggest benefit of ours or Chelsea’s academy.

We both produce the most players who go on to have decent careers in the top leagues or just below it.

Players develop more with better players so the high potential kids learn off each other and want to be better than each other.

I think it’s the academy’s biggest draw, even though people joke about their chances playing for City, they are very likely going to attract interest and make a name for themselves than at another academy.

Just scored a great goal on his EDS debut! Looks like we have another incredibly talented kid on our hands.

I think it’s the academy’s biggest draw, even though people joke about their chances playing for City, they are very likely going to attract interest and make a name for themselves than at another academy.
Our and chelsea's academy's are effectively "universities" for young footballers, we "invest" in these players to create top footballers, we keep the cream for ourselves (both academy's), and sell the other's on at profit, whilst giving them a very good eduction on the side.

The rest try to develop footballers for their first team, I suspect we (both) will bring a similar number through as the rest to our first teams over time, whereas the others will effectively discard theirs to lesser clubs for next to nothing.

In essence City and chelsea have a double purpose for their academy's, and both purposes are succesful, the likes of united develop players like McTominay (and others) into fringe first team players, the odd one makes it, liverpool have more success, but most other clubs prey on smaller clubs for their best talent in the hope of developing them further, though both City and chelsea also do that.

Its cut throat stuff for youngsters, as ever some make it, many don't, but a higher % of both City and chelsea will "make it" than the rest, because we have developed better systems, both of recruitment and training.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.