Lucas Paquetá

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. He told Pep he wanted more game time or to go out on loan. Pep told him to get his head down & earn his place, or the only way he'd be leaving is permanently, so he left.
I suppose Palmer wanted to be a big fish in a small pond, rather than vice versa. As good as he's been, Palmer wouldn't start the big games for us over Bernardo.

Fair play as he's been Chelsea's best player this season by a large margin, albeit that doesn't say much given their mid-table form.

I actually view it as a massive positive that he's shining at Chelsea. Young english talents will see the success stories of Palmer and Foden as reasons to come play for our academy. And we can put higher price tags on players coming out of our academy. It's good for business.

I suppose Palmer wanted to be a big fish in a small pond, rather than vice versa. As good as he's been, Palmer wouldn't start the big games for us over Bernardo.

Fair play as he's been Chelsea's best player this season by a large margin, albeit that doesn't say much given their mid-table form.

I actually view it as a massive positive that he's shining at Chelsea. Young english talents will see the success stories of Palmer and Foden as reasons to come play for our academy. And we can put higher price tags on players coming out of our academy. It's good for business.
Firstly fair play to Palmer because he’s gone there and delivered. He wasn’t given chances at City so was a risk but he’s shown his potential.

I think for City his character was one reason we were happy to see him leave/not block a move. If he was told Mahrez was going so he’d get more time but he’d have to fight for it and he still wanted to leave he doesn’t have the mentality to play for City. Look at Foden coming through the ranks or even Stones when it wasn’t going his way and look at them now.

Similar with Phillips he didn’t have the mental strength to be at a club like City in my opinion. It’s not a big criticism as many players couldn’t handle the pressure and ruthlessness which Pep has created.

Agree though it is good for City. Although also the same summer we sold Palmer we got 19m for Trafford. More of this please.

Wirtz is a creative type, more like KDB, IMO. Bernardo, for me, is more like Paqueta in terms of his work-rate and defensive and offensive contributions.
Why do we act like work rate is something either a player does or does not have, its purely down to willingness to run.

It’s also Pep’s first prerequisite in players. They don’t run? They don’t play.
I have a coaching license for yank football, so I feel somewhat qualified to talk about this.
effort(basically what workrate is, can be taught, and is more a personality thing rather than a physical quality that you either have or dont.

Why do we act like work rate is something either a player does or does not have, its purely down to willingness to run.
Let me rephrase. For me, Bernardo or Paqueta demonstrate an absolute top-level workrate in vast majority of matches, demonstrating higher levels of consistency in the said workrate than most of the team. Obviously, everyone works hard or they wouldn't be here. For me, some work extra hard, thus contributing to more areas of the game. For example, both defensively and offensively extensively, and not simply prioritizing one over the other like players with more one-sided (attacking or defending) profiles. Someone like Erling Haaland is incredible at what he does, and probably better at what his does than Bernardo and his skillset, but Erling doesn't work as hard, IMO.

Last edited:
I have a coaching license for yank football, so I feel somewhat qualified to talk about this.
effort(basically what workrate is, can be taught, and is more a personality thing rather than a physical quality that you either have or dont.
Do you think you could get Ederson to enjoy running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.