Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

Watched the game and I think a mindset of we will beat this mob easily ended up parting your balls. Poor show.

Maybe the kick up the arse you need to get the mindset right. You will still qualify in a canter though. Wouldn’t worry about that.

From start to finish we was slow and to go on and lose wasn't surprising, you could tell early on. Be it complacency, tiredness or just a bad day at the office but something doesn't seem right. Not worrying too much, we didn't start amazingly last year and look how that turned out but Huddersfield aside I cant think of a game yet I have been really impressed by us. Resorting to pot shots from Delph outside the area summed the whole night up, only thing last night hopefully proved is when fit Mendy plays over him every time.

Last night was deeply worrying. It's hard to think of a single player who put in a performance anything like what has become their norm and as a team their display took us back to some of the worst nights of the pre-Pep age. We had been playing about 10 minutes and I was already eerily reminded of the home leg of the League cup semi-final against Liverpool in late-2011, when we surrendered without a whimper. Last night was generally pass-and-don't-move, pass for the sake of it, stand still, don't run into space, jog-don't-run. Where was the energy, the dynamism, the intensity which was so evident last season - all those qualities that we thought Pep had made second nature to the players? The players ought to be ashamed if it was simply Pep's absence from the dressing room and dugout that led to such a drop off in their performance levels but at least we would know it won't happen again. At his introduction to us in 2016 Pep was asked to tell us about parts of his job with the players and he told us that one of them was "to kick their arses sometimes". I suspect that will be the start of the first post match training session.

Only if the attitude and lack of intensity continues in games like this and we don't compensate on the score sheet in games for defensive errors like last night.

The split pass from our half for Depay to run into goal one on one was probably the most worrying moment of the game for me.

We will make errors and concede poor goals but we have the side and the quality to overcome this over 95 minutes.

Even last night their was no reason we couldn't get at least something from the game after half time although we would have expected to go on and win if we scored a second but we lacked the edge to get that second.

After winning trophies in the past in a season there has always been a let down the following year and basically that comes down to mindset unless the side is crippled with injuries to too many key players.

Slightly off topic in terms f the game but don't know where else to put it - last night I was sat about 8 rows behind the away dugout. A fair few French players and fans around us.

With a few minutes to go an absolute yob of a city fan starting shouting fuckoff you French ****s at a few of the Lyon fans and getting highly aggressive. he was utterly embarrassing and what made it even more surprising was that he was with his wife. He must have shouted French **** twenty times in 15 minutes and there were kids about and families. I hope City identify him and ban the bastad. Utter Scum.

Madness that people can not act with more dignity and class.

It is quite possible that when Lyon came out the tunnel, saw the support was not full in the stadium and then the team not playing well from the start made them think we as a club were not taking the game seriously

It all plays a part in how the negative provides the positive for the opposition.

IMO sadly the better side on the night won fairly comfortably which is a worry but it could have been a bigger margin of defeat and hopefully we will learn from the many mistakes !!

So far a lot of talk from Pep and the players about learning from past mistakes but little evidence on last nights showing that we have done so.

Disappointing turn out but I thought the crowd tried to lift the team.

Can’t stand Warnock so time to step up a gear this weekend!

CTID

From start to finish we was slow and to go on and lose wasn't surprising, you could tell early on. Be it complacency, tiredness or just a bad day at the office but something doesn't seem right. Not worrying too much, we didn't start amazingly last year and look how that turned out but Huddersfield aside I cant think of a game yet I have been really impressed by us. Resorting to pot shots from Delph outside the area summed the whole night up, only thing last night hopefully proved is when fit Mendy plays over him every time.

So after one bad game Mendy should always start over Delph? Despite Mendy bring all over the place in most games he's played and the balance down the left side looking so much better with Delph playing against Fulham.

So after one bad game Mendy should always start over Delph? Despite Mendy bring all over the place in most games he's played and the balance down the left side looking so much better with Delph playing against Fulham.

So one bad game doesn't mean Mendy should play however Delph having a good game against Fulham means he should play? People say Delph should play because defensively he is better. He was shocking last night and I like Delph. I am sure we will see Pep choose Mendy more often than not so that will be enough for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.