Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

Most of the team were poor last night & the tactical shape also fell apart.

When Pep came here, he discovered that we needed more pace & at times physical size, atheleticism & youth, in the defence in particular & brought in the players to give us those options.

For us to maintain & improve, unless we spew all the cups & just go for the title, we need to bring more of that into the midfield.

Imo we have dodged a bullet with Jorginho. Another slow, pass recycling weakling, will not prevent the kind of thing we saw last night. All players get caught out, trying passes in tight spots, no matter how good or clever they are.

Having more pace to run away from it & more athleticism to recover it, minimises the risk when it goes wrong.

The energy of players like Foden, would help the current bunch rest more, by decreasing their workload, but we had Fernandinho legging it about at fullback weekend, instead.
Agree 100%.

This is probably an over reaction and just annoyance but I am getting really fed up with:

a) Gundogan, b) mahrez and c) Jesus.

All have been ineffectual for City this season.

I also feel the selection by pep was wrong. mendy was injured so fair enough play Delph, but then you must play Sane. And we should have had Bernardo inside instead of Gundogan who was useless. All he did was pass it backwards or sideways.

First game that I have felt we really missed De Bruyne.
Harsh on Jesus, I thought he worked his arse off, but got zero service, and up against their defenders I don't know what else we expected. Aguero offered even less, and his movement was non existent as he appeared to want to play in midfield.

The problem was obvious last night, Sane should have been left, Sterling right, and Bernardo central, it affected David, Fernandhino, and both full backs, and was obvious within 5 minutes, yet took an hour to fix.

Think the half hearted attitude of supporters ,attendance and vocal support is transferring to the players performance in the champions league. Meeting teams from Europe whatever leagues they play in is irrelevant as they raise their game.

I don’t see the hy
Harsh on Jesus, I thought he worked his arse off, but got zero service, and up against their defenders I don't know what else we expected. Aguero offered even less, and his movement was non existent as he appeared to want to play in midfield.

The problem was obvious last night, Sane should have been left, Sterling right, and Bernardo central, it affected David, Fernandhino, and both full backs, and was obvious within 5 minutes, yet took an hour to fix.
aguero can make things happen himself, Jesus can’t. Sane and sterling have got much higher ceilings than Jesus, I don’t see him ever being amongst the elite.

Last night was deeply worrying. It's hard to think of a single player who put in a performance anything like what has become their norm and as a team their display took us back to some of the worst nights of the pre-Pep age. We had been playing about 10 minutes and I was already eerily reminded of the home leg of the League cup semi-final against Liverpool in late-2011, when we surrendered without a whimper. Last night was generally pass-and-don't-move, pass for the sake of it, stand still, don't run into space, jog-don't-run. Where was the energy, the dynamism, the intensity which was so evident last season - all those qualities that we thought Pep had made second nature to the players? The players ought to be ashamed if it was simply Pep's absence from the dressing room and dugout that led to such a drop off in their performance levels but at least we would know it won't happen again. At his introduction to us in 2016 Pep was asked to tell us about parts of his job with the players and he told us that one of them was "to kick their arses sometimes". I suspect that will be the start of the first post match training session.

Interested to know how you define more mobile? NDombele did run all of 200 metres further than Dinho but touched the ball far less.
Not seen the stats, but he had a very good game and would be an excellent signing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.