Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

To slow last night and to many mistakes with sloppy passes etc looked like we had no leaders on the pitch. Wrong starting line up why Leroy didn’t start I don’t know. But it’s only one game hopefully get the win in the next one.

Lyon are no muggs, despite thier poor start in the league. They have a £70mil forward, Depay is better than he was at United, their keeper looked decent, thier midfield was very good and defence was as solid as anyone can be against us

That said, we weren’t at it. We can get away with it at home to Newcastle and the like but not at this level

We miss De Bruyne more than I thought we would. But we are still crying out for a midfield player and another striker

Like most on here I think Pep's a genius but he does make the odd mistake. The set up last night was wrong. Playing Bernardo on the wing and Gundo alongside Ferdy was a mistake.We looked fluid after we changed it and brought Sane on but it was too late. It was a bit like last season's quarter final at Anfield. Lyon's players ran through Gundo and Ferdy easily (just like Liverpool did). We have to play with two proper wide players. Gundo has never recovered from the long injury and Ferdy is starting to show his age.
I'm sure Pep knows this and he will address it, perhaps in January. We really need a Kante or Keita but there are not many out there. We would still have got away with it last night if we had all been on our game.

I think one thing that emerged from last night, in addition to the players playing crap, is Arteta is not Pep's successor. He is far too quiet and lacks the motivational skills to change things

Very disappointing last night but can’t complain about the result. We got what we deserved, for a variety of reasons already well highlighted in many of these posts. I said after the Fulham game how important Fernandinho still is to the way we do what we (normally) do, but he is getting older, less mobile and more tired and leggy, as he lacks, for the moment, a credible younger understudy to share both game time and workload in this vital midfield role, and it seems that opponents will increasingly seek to exploit this fact and nullify or limit his influence. That does not, of course, excuse several other players for their failure to step up last night, particularly in the first half. Well, the Lyon game’s gone now and there’s no point in brooding. For me, at least, it’s now a case of how Pep and the team respond to this poor CL showing at Cardiff in the league on Saturday.

Good post, well written.

Walker needs to cut out the mistakes - it's happening all too often and they're leading to goals/goal attempts.
We desperately need to find cover for Fernandinho - we're killing him playing him every game.
Gundo is nowhere near good enough. Slow, weak, the game seems to mostly pass him by.
Bernardo should only ever be a last resort for the RW slot - he's been incredible in the centre, why change it.
Laporte/Stones need to stop allowing the ball to bounce before attacking it when close to an opposition attacking player. Too many times last night a header back up the pitch would have eliminated the threat but they allowed it to bounce then tried to deal with the second ball, at which point Depay had generally positioned himself between them and the ball resulting in winning it/a foul.

That is all.

Noticed this myself. I’m screaming at the TV for players to turn after they receive the ball, a few times they had acres of space but there was no communication (which in itself is a worry) and then passed backwards. Even David Silva and Delph went for the same header without anyone shouting. I give them the benefit of the doubt after 1 loss but the spark needs to be rediscovered fast!

Just a blip hopefully

Very disappointing last night but can’t complain about the result. We got what we deserved, for a variety of reasons already well highlighted in many of these posts. I said after the Fulham game how important Fernandinho still is to the way we do what we (normally) do, but he is getting older, less mobile and more tired and leggy, as he lacks, for the moment, a credible younger understudy to share both game time and workload in this vital midfield role, and it seems that opponents will increasingly seek to exploit this fact and nullify or limit his influence. That does not, of course, excuse several other players for their failure to step up last night, particularly in the first half. Well, the Lyon game’s gone now and there’s no point in brooding. For me, at least, it’s now a case of how Pep and the team respond to this poor CL showing at Cardiff in the league on Saturday.
Pep calls that position 'pivot' for good reason and like any machine a weak pivot effect the whole thing. Hopefully he can rediscover last seasons form but replacing him needs to happen in January either way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.