Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

Just watched the game. Really disappointing we were slow ponderous and sloppy. We need to get back to basics against Cardiff

Dreadful first half last night collectively. Not even the simple things were being done right. And Delph at LB ? Let's just put it down to a bad day at the office for him but clearly we need proper cover there. He is not the answer. The stadium was like a morgue from the get go and that doesn't help. We didn't gee the lads up and they provided sod all spark for us. But onwards and upwards. We get back on track against Cardiff and Hoffenheim will take care of itself......

Delph was absolutely brilliant in a team that broke all the records last year but after one bad game he's not the answer? Nice one

It showed again why we have reason to be concerned with this City squad. The lack of mobility in midfield means far less talented sides can simply run through us. Liverpool will tear us to pieces with the way we play at the moment. We are making mistakes as we did in our first season under Pep and Fernandinho cannot control an entire midfield on his own. With De Bruyne in there we have another energetic player who will close down and track back. With Gundogan I am not sure what we have at the moment. He has been beyond woeful. No desire to press and no influence on the game. You expect both from him but we need at least one.

Bernardo was much better when in the middle and Sane pegged their full back. But we still didn't pick the right option or show enough patience to score the equaliser. Delph shooting numerous times without success. We shouldn't be resorting to long range shots.

We created enough to win the game but cannot expect to win things if we are making mistakes in the defensive half. We will end up being punished.

Foden should be getting game time. He has the pace and energy to ease the burden on Fernandinho. He can control the game and keep the ball moving like De Bruyne. Now is the time we should test him and get him involved. Particularly when Gundogan is in shite form.

Or use Delph or Danilo in the holding role as cover for Ferny. We need to buy in Jan to help ease that burden. Gabby is also in a bad spell. He needs a goal big time. He is not linking up anywhere near as well as he did last season. He is miles behind Aguero right now.

That looked suspiciously like the Wigan fiasco, with a touch of 8-1 thrown in. Players have a dip in form for reasons such as "trying too hard or confidence crisis" . Not contagious surely. To go from one of the best ( fkit, the best) exponent of teamwork into a bunch of individuals .............

I’m not patronising, merely pointing out some people can’t wait to have a moan. We see it in all walks of life, not just football, but moaning City fans should conduct an head wobbling exercise, a few years ago City in the CL? We need to take defeat with humility and understand for whatever reason sometimes we get beaten amd outplayed by a better team on the night.

Afuckinmen to that. Some right smacked arses on here.

I think one thing that emerged from last night, in addition to the players playing crap, is Arteta is not Pep's successor. He is far too quiet and lacks the motivational skills to change things
Tbf, I think it's still too early to tell.

The balance of that team was wrong from the off. Think I saw Delph passed it 107 times and Gundogan 40. That stat should be the other way around. I don't lay the blame at either player but the management. We got it wrong end of. 22 shots is a misleading stat too. It felt like every shot was a speculative one from either Delph or Fernandinho. It wasn't the worst performance. I bet the neutral couldn't believe we'd lost, but off nights happen.

Said it last night but still think the same, on recent games it looks like we've made the same mistake as the last 2 times we won the league and not strengthened and freshened the squad in the summer.

Not bringing in a DM was a major mistake.
Absolutely bang on Sir.
After a successful season our club badge should be a bunch of laurel leaves with a fat ass sitting on them.
There's simply no impetus there. Our passing is laboured, too many touches and our ball recovery seems much less industrious.
We can argue the transfer window until the cows come home, but fresh faces and hunger added to an already successful team would have pushed us on.
However, hopefully some personal reflection and pride will emerge from this.

We're missing out on target players because we seem to be adopting a moral high ground about paying what's needed to get them meaning we get gazumped by other clubs. We've missed out on Jorginho Van Dijk and Pogba (who knows what he would've been like under Pep) for that reason. Liverpool paid over the odds for Van Dijk but I don't hear anyone saying they've wasted their money.

Delph was absolutely brilliant in a team that broke all the records last year but after one bad game he's not the answer? Nice one
Hence why I said a bad DAY the office. He's not the LONG TERM answer for LB. Plain as day. He is for me a natural successor for Fernandinho. The sooner we sort that out the better. Ferni needs help/rest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.