M6 Toll

Well, it's the way in the EU. I'm aiming to drive from Calais to Nice in couple of weeks, 800 miles one way. About £150 in toll fees on the motorway, 13 hours driving. Add fuel costs that's another £100 . Cheaper and a lot lot quicker to fly.

You can do the entire journey, toll free and much more scenically.

Fuel is already heavily taxed and it doesn't seem to have had much benefit for the state of the roads. Electric cars might be good for the environment, but they aren't paying towards the upkeep (and then hopefully improvement) of the roads in your scenario.

There are two separate issues; environmental and the state of the roads. The government have one tax to try and persuade people to drive "cleaner" cars. Electric cars still use the roads though, so if they aren't paying car tax because they're green, and they aren't using fuel, how are they contributing to the upkeep of the roads that they are using?

Neither fuel duty or road tax are used on roads.
They just get used up like all taxes.

Fuel is already heavily taxed and it doesn't seem to have had much benefit for the state of the roads. Electric cars might be good for the environment, but they aren't paying towards the upkeep (and then hopefully improvement) of the roads in your scenario.

There are two separate issues; environmental and the state of the roads. The government have one tax to try and persuade people to drive "cleaner" cars. Electric cars still use the roads though, so if they aren't paying car tax because they're green, and they aren't using fuel, how are they contributing to the upkeep of the roads that they are using?

Neither fuel duty or road tax are used on roads.
They just get used up like all taxes.

No such thing as car tax. As Denis says the money goes into general tax and not used just for roads.

Well, it's the way in the EU. I'm aiming to drive from Calais to Nice in couple of weeks, 800 miles one way. About £150 in toll fees on the motorway, 13 hours driving. Add fuel costs that's another £100 . Cheaper and a lot lot quicker to fly.
How much? If you want to drive to Dublin Airport from here (130 miles, approx), there are two toll roads you use (though you can avoid them if you don't mind a longer trip). The two tolls come to around €6, IIRC.

Thought I would throw my 2 pennies worth into this one.

With the electric car becoming the greener way and the fall in government revenues from vat and fuel duty things are going to change soon.

The government is already planning to charge by the mile with smart motorways and 5g when it’s rolled out. The charges will be be varied depending on what time of the day you travel. Your car insurance will also follow suit in time.

Enjoy your cheap motoring whilst you can!!

Thought I would throw my 2 pennies worth into this one.

With the electric car becoming the greener way and the fall in government revenues from vat and fuel duty things are going to change soon.

The government is already planning to charge by the mile with smart motorways and 5g when it’s rolled out. The charges will be be varied depending on what time of the day you travel. Your car insurance will also follow suit in time.

Enjoy your cheap motoring whilst you can!!
Agreed.

Apart from your use of the word "cheap".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.