M6 Toll

Fuel is already heavily taxed and it doesn't seem to have had much benefit for the state of the roads. Electric cars might be good for the environment, but they aren't paying towards the upkeep (and then hopefully improvement) of the roads in your scenario.

There are two separate issues; environmental and the state of the roads. The government have one tax to try and persuade people to drive "cleaner" cars. Electric cars still use the roads though, so if they aren't paying car tax because they're green, and they aren't using fuel, how are they contributing to the upkeep of the roads that they are using?

But taxes aren’t normally hypothecated. If they can be used to influence people away from fossil fuels and high mileage, we’d be doing our planet a big favour.

We’ve declared a climate emergency and so far done fcuk all about it.

There is a car tax. I have to pay it every year :)

I know it isn't directly spent on the roads though.
It's called vehicle exise duty nowadays. Car tax was abolished in 1936. I think the council tax is used to pay for the roads? Paid by plenty of folk that don't own cars..

I have an M6 Toll pass which gives me £0.50 off.. it’s an insignificant discount but the benefit is driving straight through... unless there is some dickhead who has joined the “Tag” lane by accident.. how they can possibly do this I have no idea
On most tolls now there are no cash booths. They just take a picture of your plate and send you a bill in the post.

On most tolls now there are no cash booths. They just take a picture of your plate and send you a bill in the post.

On the new runcorn bridge they take a picture of your plate and if you haven't paid by midnight the next day they send a fine out in the post. You can only pay online and is only 1 sign telling you to pay it. Must make a fortune from the elderly, out of towners using it for the first time who miss the sign, forgetful folk, etc

On the new runcorn bridge they take a picture of your plate and if you haven't paid by midnight the next day they send a fine out in the post. You can only pay online and is only 1 sign telling you to pay it. Must make a fortune from the elderly, out of towners using it for the first time who miss the sign, forgetful folk, etc
Same as the Dartford Crossing - Payment only on line. At least the DC is free from 10pm to 6am.

When travelling down to Southampton for cruises I always use the Toll road as I find it very relaxing, however the cost has escalated a lot in recent times so I am thinking of giving it a miss when I go down in August.

Last Cruise I was on we met some nice people who drove out of the Car park just as we were putting our suitcases in the car. I caught up with them just on the outskirts of Birmingham and tooted as we passed them. I continued on to the Toll road but noticed in my rear view mirror they they had opted to stay on the M6. When we left the toll and were approaching Stafford there they were in front of me. Doesn't seem worth spending the money when it is obviously a slower route.

When travelling down to Southampton for cruises I always use the Toll road as I find it very relaxing, however the cost has escalated a lot in recent times so I am thinking of giving it a miss when I go down in August.

Last Cruise I was on we met some nice people who drove out of the Car park just as we were putting our suitcases in the car. I caught up with them just on the outskirts of Birmingham and tooted as we passed them. I continued on to the Toll road but noticed in my rear view mirror they they had opted to stay on the M6. When we left the toll and were approaching Stafford there they were in front of me. Doesn't seem worth spending the money when it is obviously a slower route.

It is a longer distance which is obvious form looking at a map. Not usually worth while taking at weekends or off peak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.