Macclesfield FC - Robbie Savage appointed Head Coach (P 14)

Robbie is more the front man as he has a “name “and whatever you think of him, what he and his partner have done for Macc is fantastic. Averaging 2750 - a thousand more than they used to in the league (when there were away fans unlike now). £4m spent on infrastructure- the whole place is unrecognisable. And as well as being at the club every day he does a 30 min weekly Q&A for the fans on zoom every Friday. He gives up shit loads of his own time. My opinion of him has changed completely (although I don’t listen to his 606 show or it may change back.. :-)

I agree. My niece plays for the juniors and he is willing to spend time chatting and helping out with the kids.
Apparently he doesn't give it "the big i am" and is very down to earth when he is there.

Just watched the Savage documentary last night after my brother recommended it. Nice of them to feature Macclesfield FC as well.

Fuck me, what an absolute weapon he is. It's been done to death as a comparison but he really is like a real life, less likeable David Brent.

From rambling about chocolate on his hoodie, to interrupting club legend and current manager Danny Whitaker's half time team talk to give the players a bollocking during a match they were winning, the guy is an utter tool whose number one priority is clearly to put the spotlight on himself.

How can such an utter gobshite who has made an entire career out of winding people up be quite possibly the most thin skinned person in football? From getting upset when a couple of workmen correctly and light heartedly pointed out that he's a wealthy man and that Macclesfield have a much bigger budget than anyone else in the division, to running over and interrupting an interview with the groundsman - who Savage previously praised as the heart and soul of the club - because he made an innocuous and ultimately correct observation that Savage was interfering with the management.

There really is nothing more to him than some hair, shit tattoos and a very, very, very fragile ego and I'm extremely disappointed that there was only one episode.

I watched the doc at the weekend. Very good.

I loved the insight into what the players wanted at that level. Having agents when you are earning £50 a week - 'you might have to give them a £5' was a good line. They are 3 tiers down from league 2 and Robbie had £350pw for the top earners - that is before any win bonus etc. How do these teams with only a few hundred paying fans pay these rates.

Robbie is cleverer than he lets on - clearly he loves the attention and cant help being at the front of everything but they have done a decent job. They are still top of the league with half the season gone.

I was a bit disappointed in the programme to be honest. There is a really good story to be had there but was far to focused on Savage who I must say I quite like, always fair to city on tv etc. However I don’t think he came across to well. I’m not sure he’s needed in the dressing room or barracking from the sidelines. Seriously undermines the manager and the players will seize upon this soon if not already.

They should have spent more time listening to stories of that young lad who lost his mum and other fans and maybe get more insight from the manager and maybe some of the players. Just felt they missed a trick and became the Robbie Savage show when he probably has got involved for the right reasons but maybe didn’t show him in the best light although kudos to him for getting involved when it was kicking off v congelton.

Anyway hope they go up as the fans there seem a good bunch.

I was a bit disappointed in the programme to be honest. There is a really good story to be had there but was far to focused on Savage who I must say I quite like, always fair to city on tv etc. However I don’t think he came across to well. I’m not sure he’s needed in the dressing room or barracking from the sidelines. Seriously undermines the manager and the players will seize upon this soon if not already.

They should have spent more time listening to stories of that young lad who lost his mum and other fans and maybe get more insight from the manager and maybe some of the players. Just felt they missed a trick and became the Robbie Savage show when he probably has got involved for the right reasons but maybe didn’t show him in the best light although kudos to him for getting involved when it was kicking off v congelton.

Anyway hope they go up as the fans there seem a good bunch.
I think they could have made a series out of it but obviously it was set up as a one off and Savage is always going to make it about him as that is what he is like.

As for him getting involved in the dressing rooms - its clearly unprofessional but at the same time the average manager at that level is a no one to the players. I'm sure all the player really like having him involved.

Obviously an idiot, you don’t piss Macc girls off if you’ve got a brain.
I remember working on the roads near some estate there about 30 years ago. Some smackhead had been caught robbing/burgling a woman’s house and the locals battered him, tied him to a lamppost and pouted glue and all sorts of shit all over him. I think they were only missing the tar and feathers. Made the national press at the time

I remember working on the roads near some estate there about 30 years ago. Some smackhead had been caught robbing/burgling a woman’s house and the locals battered him, tied him to a lamppost and pouted glue and all sorts of shit all over him. I think they were only missing the tar and feathers. Made the national press at the time
I lived there for 10 years with a local girl, never a dull moment :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.