Macclesfield

I'm looking to buy my first house now I've saved enough for a deposit and have shortlisted Macclesfield as a potential location. Looking at house prices you seem to get some value for your buck and demand is also there as I've seen houses become under offer on RM which is a positive sign for me.
Location wise it seems good for me, just a 30 minute drive to work with rail links to Manchester and Stockport.

I'm in my early 30s, I tend to stay at home during the week, I normally just go to the gym after work then watch Netflix. At weekends I usually meet up with pals in Manchester and go to the games. I'm easy going, I just want a quiet life and like walks in the countryside.

I will at some point check Macc out but..

Are the pubs any good in Macc?

Are trains to Manchester usually ok?
Macc is decent for pubs and a night out, well it was 7/8 years ago when I used to go down there.

A couple of friends of ours are looking at Macc as well and have seen some decent places.

I’d live there.

I'm looking to buy my first house now I've saved enough for a deposit and have shortlisted Macclesfield as a potential location. Looking at house prices you seem to get some value for your buck and demand is also there as I've seen houses become under offer on RM which is a positive sign for me.
Location wise it seems good for me, just a 30 minute drive to work with rail links to Manchester and Stockport.

I'm in my early 30s, I tend to stay at home during the week, I normally just go to the gym after work then watch Netflix. At weekends I usually meet up with pals in Manchester and go to the games. I'm easy going, I just want a quiet life and like walks in the countryside.

I will at some point check Macc out but..

Are the pubs any good in Macc?

Are trains to Manchester usually ok?
Trains to Manchester don’t run late.
No bus service.
Macclesfield town centre is deteriorating rapidly into a shit hole.

Seriously? Something like the Light is the nearest to Macc?
Isn't there an Curzon Cinema in Knutsford (not quite the same but still...).

I've lived in South Manchester for around 30 years but thinking of moving further down into Cheshire in the next few years. After a separation I'm now living in a flat. Thought I'd like the lack of having to do anything around the place but I miss fixing broken things or rebuilding/refurbishing and gardening...I mean really miss it. Often back at the family home helping out there but absolutely set in restarting my life with a house over the next 2-3 years.
We've also spent there last 20 years 'bobbing' down into Cheshire around the NT places so I've really grown fond of the area. I'd miss the trams and public transport but probably weight that against being closer to nature. The whole area from Cheadle, Wilmslow, Alty, down to Macc I'd consider.
Obviously some of the more pricier areas might be an issue but I wouldn't be looking at anything to big but certainly something I can rip apart and start again. And anything without smashed into bus stops would be a bonus.
I drove past Macc yesterday (via the Silk Road) as I drove into the stunning High Peaks. Good luck with your search. I don't know Macc too well but interesting to hear more so will follow your thread..

As a slight aside, those places like Bollington and Henbury (I'd never heard of!!): ever get reasonably prices 'smaller' properties around there?

No bus service.
Must admit I don't think I've visited Macc in over 20 years...once when a mate managed a record shop there. Can't picture it at all but I'm getting the impression it's not Knutsford or Prestbury...

Whilst Macc itself is going downhill Around Macclesfield is delightful. Some nice properties and access to lovely countryside.
Bollington is premium pricing now, as is Poynton.
I’m talking £250K - £300K for a 2 bed terrace.
Macc is more reasonable.

Seriously? Something like the Light is the nearest to Macc?
Isn't there an Curzon Cinema in Knutsford (not quite the same but still...).

I've lived in South Manchester for around 30 years but thinking of moving further down into Cheshire in the next few years. After a separation I'm now living in a flat. Thought I'd like the lack of having to do anything around the place but I miss fixing broken things or rebuilding/refurbishing and gardening...I mean really miss it. Often back at the family home helping out there but absolutely set in restarting my life with a house over the next 2-3 years.
We've also spent there last 20 years 'bobbing' down into Cheshire around the NT places so I've really grown fond of the area. I'd miss the trams and public transport but probably weight that against being closer to nature. The whole area from Cheadle, Wilmslow, Alty, down to Macc I'd consider.
Obviously some of the more pricier areas might be an issue but I wouldn't be looking at anything to big but certainly something I can rip apart and start again. And anything without smashed into bus stops would be a bonus.
I drove past Macc yesterday (via the Silk Road) as I drove into the stunning High Peaks. Good luck with your search. I don't know Macc too well but interesting to hear more so will follow your thread..

As a slight aside, those places like Bollington and Henbury (I'd never heard of!!): ever get reasonably prices 'smaller' properties around there?

Cheers pal.

Bollington is lovely and has a lot of nice walks and pubs in the area. There are quite a few terrace houses making the prices accessible although they don't often end up on the market and when they do it may be at the higher end of the scale for my budget. Many don't have gardens/court yards.

Prices in Congleton are very reasonable as well from what I've seen which is a little beyond the area you are considering.

I'm looking for somewhere to take my new wife and start a family. Good schools, low crime, countyside and some decents pubs for a sunday lunch. That'll do for now.

I've lived in Macc for over 30 years and very happy with it. The town centre isn't much to write home about but probably no worse than any other nowadays but there are two big supermarkets and you are close enough to Manchester/ Stockport for cinema and other nights out. I don't go drinking in town much nowadays but there are one or two decent small music venues for local bands if that is your thing.

You won't go far wrong for countryside around Macc, plenty of nice walking and there are a couple of decent pubs not far from Henbury/ Broken X for Sunday lunch.

School wise you would be in the catchment area for Fallibroome secondary, nothing wrong with it but it's bias is towards art and drama I think. Tytherington is better and where I live (Hurdsfield area) you would be closer to the better hilly countryside. I can't comment on the primary schools around Henbury and Broken X. Of course if you've got the money there is always Kings...

Any more specific questions feel free to PM me

No bus service.

Trains from Manchester -> Macc used to be pretty decent for late running. past midnight at least but looking now that seems to be different, limited due to covid?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.