Madrid v City CL semi final 2nd leg

Nasri said it before, Navas & Sterling are predictable.

Aguero had 0 touch inside Madrid box, we had 0 shot ON target !

I think if we had Silva, KDB & Nasri behind Aguero we could have created more chances.

The sad thing is that Pellegrini dropped Nasri from the CL squad, I know he was injured & Kelechi deserve to be in the squad more than anyone else but he could drop Demichelles instead of Nasri and I am sure we have so many players to cover the CB position when needed.

At the moment the best teams in Europe are Barcelona, Bayern and Real. Barcelona were eliminated because the quarter finals coincided with a period of very poor form for them. Atletico come fourthin my book (despite beating Bayern) and then come City and Paris. There is a clear gap between the first three and the others. This is the gap City failed to close. Real are in their best form of the season: we have been playing well recently until Sunday. What has been clear from the semis, and long before that, is that City, in common with other teams, do not move the ball anywhere near as quickly as Barca, Bayern or Real. I think it is this which makes much of our team look static, not to say statuesque, when we play top teams - and our groups have ALWAYS included at least one top team. I don't think the problem is lack of effort - last night's BT statistics showed we actually ran further than Madrid, but they pass more accurately and more quickly. They also play better without the ball - they reorganise to get the ball back much quicker than we do and they hunt in packs. Our players found they were surrounded by three whites or we had to play longer and risk giving the ball away. Noe, in circumstances such as these it is easy to look "timid", as though you're not getting "stuck in", "not going for it". In fact it's very frustrating and you feel as though you're always running up a dead end. That was what it was like against Bayern at the Etihad in 2013 and in the Nou Camp last season. It's not that we are a disgrace, it's not that we are lazy and it's not that our team needs binning - it's simply that we have to accept that for the moment Real are better, just as Barca were better last season. And more perspiration never maks up for inspiration.

The good news is that a lot of what is being said in the papers this morning is nonsense. City do not have the problems identified. "This team" is not a mile away from getting to the final as Keane assures us. There is no point talking about "this team" any more, there is no point talking about "City's problems". "This team" and "those problems" were Pellegrini's and he isn't going to be able to solve them. Next season we'll begin to see Pep's team and they will play in a very different way. I don't know what our formation or tactics will be, I don't know whether they'll be the same two weeks together, but I am convinced we'll be very different and very much better. Whether we'll break the stranglehold the Spaniards have got on the CL is a different question.

Well said:

The positives I think we can take form this campaign are:
1) We have a defence that is up to the job.
2) We can put out a team that is hard to beat – 3 goals conceded in 4 games v’s Real and PSG!
3) We are miles better at this now than we were 2 or 3 years ago when we were naïve and shipped goals all over the place.

The attack was not up to the job last night but you need to consider that:
1) Silva was out last night (and has been out of form most of the season), Sterling was just coming back and was out of form.
2) With no real option on the left we had to play KDB out of position and Yaya in the middle.
3) We did not have our best players in form or in the right positions! With a bit more luck on the injury front we can field a much sharper attack.

Just off topic a little,Madrid's twelfth man, the crowd, to a man where I was sat (in amongst them) everyone was up and down making noise encouraging their team any way they could .Don't know how it came across on TV? But everyone, men young and old women kids the lot were doing their bit. We could really take a lesson or two in getting behind your team. We tried to make ourselves herd (as we always do away), but the Madrid crowd were having none of it last night. We did try, albeit in a slow pedestrian manor then give the ball away with a loose pass, but I bet not one city player could hear a call from a team mate out there?

We're always criticised with our poor defending but over the two legs the offensive side of our game let us down, big time

The slow build up of our play has become a habit in these last couple of months and has become very frustrating and predictable to watch.

Unfortunately our big players didn't turn up and will probably wake up this morning with regret that a huge chance has slipped through their fingers.

Two cup finals now to finish the season off............

It's gutting because this was the one freak year where we actually had some luck with the draw. Back to drawing Barca in the last 16 when we qualify for it again in 12 months time.

They had the ref n their side too. He the fuck did tranny not get booked for catching the ball and throwing it into our net????..... Last I heard that was deliberate handball

They had the ref n their side too. He the fuck did tranny not get booked for catching the ball and throwing it into our net????..... Last I heard that was deliberate handball

He acted like he knew the offside flag had gone up, the ref believed him. Im not so sure

i was also astounded, as was the Madrid fan next to me in the pub, but others around us reckoned it was cos he saw the flag go up and was just pissing about. im not sure.

Wasted opportunity. Real were average and we only needed to nick a goal. Thought we would throw the kitchen sink at them. KDB and Sergio didn't do anything. Had they done so, it might have made the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said I'm totally gutted we didn't go for it second half last night, certainly last 20 minutes, it's a knock-out game FFS, may as well lose by three going for it than defend a one goal defeat.

Don't get me wrong, up to and including h-t last night I was happy with our cautious approach. A goal at home would have been perfect but Real are a team with players than can take a game away from you in a 5/10 minute spell. So no point going out all guns blazing and concede three in 10 minutes. Nerves play a huge part in these semi-finals too, so I absolutely think "keeping in touch" was the right way to go.

However there has to be a point were you go for broke if you are getting beat, we were still trying to "pinch" a goal in stoppage time and you could see they were bricking it. I'd have seriously considered putting a target man up front and throwing some long balls up to him, problem is we don't have one, well Bony is supposed to be but I'll be kind and just say he has been "quiet" this season.

No disgrace losing to Real in a semi final over two legs, none at all, just can't understand why we didn't throw kitchen sink at them last 10/20 mins. Fernandinho chance apart, we didn't even look like getting near to creating anything, and with a team with some real quality going forward it is disappointing we never went for broke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.