Maine Rd terrace characters

I went on Paddy’s coach quite a few times with a group of lads from the Red Rose/Black Boy in Wythenshawe but there were lads from all over Manchester.
It was on the coach I met Dennis Lock and we became a mates. Other names I remember are Spider, Johny Kaye,The Vicar, Dave Heap, Jimmy McMullen, Len the Spew, Johnny Andrews, Ginger Johnstone, Davy Mac, Johnny Yarwood, Les Lowe, Jack Whitely the Hince brothers, who said they were related to Paul Hince the occasional City player and later journalist.
It was Jimmy Mac who introduced everyone to the Prospect of Whitby.
Dennis was a proper Jack the lad. I remember coming out of OT after the 69 derby and a rag rode past on a scooter mouthing off until Denis knocked him off the scooter, a bit of a scuffle followed and possibly an arrest or two.
The guys on the coach loved the midnight departures, which were sensible for the long trips but Paddy was persuaded to do a midnight run for Rotherham.
My first trip was to Pompey New Years day 1965. A guy in the Scoreboard end organised it, can’t remember his name but he was eventually replaced by Trevor from Northern Moor.
Great times.
I thought about this post at 1am this morning whilst waiting for the delayed Official Supporters Club Flight at Munster Airport.
If you were in your late teens during the George Poyser era, and travelling to Rotherham on a midnight coach from Manchester, then assuming good health, you would probably be around 72-75 in 2022.

There were at least a dozen City fans who appeared to be in that age demographic at Munster Airport, and I just hope that some of them are still enjoying the ride.

I thought about this post at 1am this morning whilst waiting for the delayed Official Supporters Club Flight at Munster Airport.
If you were in your late teens during the George Poyser era, and travelling to Rotherham on a midnight coach from Manchester, then assuming good health, you would probably be around 72-75 in 2022.

There were at least a dozen City fans who appeared to be in that age demographic at Munster Airport, and I just hope that some of them are still enjoying the ride.
Good to hear so may old time blues are healthy enough to still be enjoying away days and watching one of the best teams in the world.

I REMEMBER WHEN ST JOHNS AMBULANCE USED TO CARRY THE STRETCHERS ON AND OFF THE PITCH, ONE WAS A RINGER FOR FRED SCUTTLE ( BENNY HILL ) WE HAD PHIL BOYER, GOT HIM FROM SOUTHAMPTON I THINK, ANYWAY HE GOT HURT , AND ON WENT THE AMBULANCE MEN, AS THEY GOT NEAR THE TOUCHLINE THIS FRED SCUTTLES LEGS WENT, HE WENT ARSE OVER TIT AND BOYER FELL OFF THE STRETCHER, NEVER LAUGHED SO MUCH IN MY LIFE, THINK HE FINISHED BOYERS CAREER, MUST HAVE BEEN EARLY SEVENTIES. HAPPY DAYS, CAN STILL SEE IT NOW.
Would have been early '80 is it was Boyer

I remember him on the train going to Chesterfield away in a league cup tie and his mates all singing,''Bulldog is our leader!'' and him telling them to fuck off,lol!Mad night that,i am just dossing about the streets of Wythenshawe,wondering whether to go to the game and try and get a ticket,when some young lads who were going talked me into it.We got to Piccadilly and the first person i walked up to and asked if they had a spare ticket had one,result!I can still remember the shock on his face as he asked,''How did you know i had a spare ticket??'' like i was mystic Meg,lol!!
Remember that game it was fucking mental that train, the cool cats were prowling up and down. A lad came up to me and said 'mate the police are after me I just escaped from Strangways', he was wearing one of them checker Strangways jackets, lend us your jumper. I never lent him my jumper. As if you would escape prison then go to a football match in the prison uniform. I must of had a jesters hat on that night. And to top it all some scouse pick pockets were on the train going to Chesterfield with City on the rob. As if we didn't have enough with our own lot. During the game their was an announcement about pick pockets on the prowl. After the game all the fighting near the train station. Was a strange night match that one.

Remember that game it was fucking mental that train, the cool cats were prowling up and down. A lad came up to me and said 'mate the police are after me I just escaped from Strangways', he was wearing one of them checker Strangways jackets, lend us your jumper. I never lent him my jumper. As if you would escape prison then go to a football match in the prison uniform. I must of had a jesters hat on that night. And to top it all some scouse pick pockets were on the train going to Chesterfield with City on the rob. As if we didn't have enough with our own lot. During the game their was an announcement about pick pockets on the prowl. After the game all the fighting near the train station. Was a strange night match that one.

Happy fucking days. If you remember at the game there was one fit as fuck blonde policewoman right in front of our fans. You can imagine the reaction. "We know where you're truncheon is!" Being one of the milder songs. Her sergeant moved her for the second half.

After the game they crowded us all in that carpark next to the station. Some old bastard of a copper on a horse kept shoving it into us adding to the crush, all the time slagging off Manchester, trying to get a reaction.

Their are no "Characters at City "any more lol
Nowadays
Fans are either coke heads ,piss heads,dickheads ,Johny come latleys, glory hunters ,New comers ,scroates ext or kids that cant take their drink
Lets face it
Nothing has changed since the 60s watching City , besides the cost of a game & except us olduns attitudes have changed
While many of us whatching City in the 60s & 70s maybe the 80s wouldn't have battered an eyelid & proberbly would have got stuck in when shit was going of
It all " tut tut "now if someone swears or asks to move seat or gets up for a piss or wants to leave before full time
,Back in the Kippax days if your back leg wasnt covered in piss ,it could mean you didn't have to go home to get changed ( as if ) before you went out again
One thing hasn't changed is the Ticket office FFS
How can it be so bad for 40 odd years ? Attitudes have changed massively over the years & while back in the day things wernt as PC as now
Now we complain about everything cos we can.
Back then all we wanted was to get in the ground and watch City ,.Never moaned cos the hot dog seller didn't wash his hands after taking a piss, didn't moan when City scored & got pushed down the Kippax & couldn't find your mates for ages, .
We Never even moaned when we got beat ,just went to the boozer instead of the internet & bluemoon ha ha
I am so glad I was around at the time as it was one of the best education's about life you could get
Now a days the business of football has changed for the worst ,god knows how much it would cost to take a family of four to a game now ?
I only go to cup games as now I wouldn't pay more than £25 for a ticket
With all the hassle getting a ticket getting in the ground & getting a beer
At my age much more enjoyable watching with mates in a pub
How times have changed MCFC OK
Compared to then.
Football is absolute shit now.
Tossers in half and half scarfs take a fucking selfie.
If I was a young kid now going to my first game I wouldnt have fallen in love with it like I did as a 6 year old going in the North stand couldnt believe the Kippax.
I go now cos I go with my old man.
But I wouldnt bother if I didn't go

Compared to then.
Football is absolute shit now.
Tossers in half and half scarfs take a fucking selfie.
If I was a young kid now going to my first game I wouldnt have fallen in love with it like I did as a 6 year old going in the North stand couldnt believe the Kippax.
I go now cos I go with my old man.
But I wouldnt bother if I didn't go

This post should go in my epic rants thread in off topic lol.

It reminds me of a documentary I watched once on the changing face of football. They had an old Chelsea headhunter on, it might have been Jason Marriner but I can't say for sure. He went into a great rant. The fact it was delivered in his high pitched cockney accent made it all the more effective and memorable.

"Modern football?? Modern facking football??!! Blokes in football shirts, facking jester hats, kids with faces painted eating candy floss! What the facks all that about????!!!!"

Happy fucking days. If you remember at the game there was one fit as fuck blonde policewoman right in front of our fans. You can imagine the reaction. "We know where you're truncheon is!" Being one of the milder songs. Her sergeant moved her for the second half.

After the game they crowded us all in that carpark next to the station. Some old bastard of a copper on a horse kept shoving it into us adding to the crush, all the time slagging off Manchester, trying to get a reaction.
The WPC was loving it.

I was on this train. And I remember the crush outside the station and a copper on his horse squashing us against parked cars. Must be around 47 years ago, early ‘76/77 season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.