Maine Rd terrace characters

I was on this train. And I remember the crush outside the station and a copper on his horse squashing us against parked cars. Must be around 47 years ago, early ‘76/77 season.

Yes it certainly was, time flies. That copper was an utter bastard, all we wanted to do was get on the train and get home. I remember one lad snapping and he went for him saying, "Come on then the brave one, have a go."

I was about 11 before I graduated to the spikes on the back wall. We decided to give it a go one day, and once we'd scaled the heights it was magic. Being right behind the 'choir' and able to see over everyone's head was worth the occasional spiked backside.

I can't remember who we played on my Maine Road debut in 60/61 but if I close my eyes, I can still picture the rain sheeting across the giant floodlights, and smell the clouds of pipe baccy.

I really miss the Kippax.
sometimes i stood on the beams with the spikes on, i was petrified to move !

This post should go in my epic rants thread in off topic lol.

It reminds me of a documentary I watched once on the changing face of football. They had an old Chelsea headhunter on, it might have been Jason Marriner but I can't say for sure. He went into a great rant. The fact it was delivered in his high pitched cockney accent made it all the more effective and memorable.

"Modern football?? Modern facking football??!! Blokes in football shirts, facking jester hats, kids with faces painted eating candy floss! What the facks all that about????!!!!"
He got so pissed off with it, he moved to Thailand!

I was about 11 before I graduated to the spikes on the back wall. We decided to give it a go one day, and once we'd scaled the heights it was magic. Being right behind the 'choir' and able to see over everyone's head was worth the occasional spiked backside.

I can't remember who we played on my Maine Road debut in 60/61 but if I close my eyes, I can still picture the rain sheeting across the giant floodlights, and smell the clouds of pipe baccy.

I really miss the Kippax.
Wow. That brings the memories back! The spikes was the place I was put at my first ever game at Maine Road. My older brother put me up there, then went off with his mates and left me! I was eight years old. It was against Newcastle. The size of the pitch and just how green it was. The size of the floodlights and just how bright they were. As you say the smells and the noise. We equalised and the place just went absolutely mental! It really was an amazing experience for an eight year old. That was it. I was completely hooked from that day. The late 60s and early seventies really was a great time on the Kippax. For me, only time the experience came near my first game was the 5-1 promotion game against Charlton. All a bit different to todays ‘match day experience’!

Wow. That brings the memories back! The spikes was the place I was put at my first ever game at Maine Road. My older brother put me up there, then went off with his mates and left me! I was eight years old. It was against Newcastle. The size of the pitch and just how green it was. The size of the floodlights and just how bright they were. As you say the smells and the noise. We equalised and the place just went absolutely mental! It really was an amazing experience for an eight year old. That was it. I was completely hooked from that day. The late 60s and early seventies really was a great time on the Kippax. For me, only time the experience came near my first game was the 5-1 promotion game against Charlton. All a bit different to todays ‘match day experience’!
Still relive that Charlton game now . I was 15 it was mental that day in the Kippax. Think I know every word off the MOTD commentary I watched it so many times
Still got it on a VHS somewhere!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.